Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Bent op-rod (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/bent-op-rod-53617/)

colmustard 12-15-2011 02:30 AM

Bent op-rod

So I disassembled my m1 garand the other day for a routine cleaning, and noticed that the op-rod is slightly bent :(. This may have happened from the last time I shot it (nearly 2 years ago) and I shot factory load through it before I knew it was bad for it and before having a adjustible gas plug. So I am bummed big time because this was my dream rifle since I was like 14. This rifle means a bunch to me.

So what can I do? Can this op-rod be fixed or do I need to buy a new one?
If I have to buy a new one where are the best deals. I have already looked around a bit, but they are a bit pricey.

Thanks in advance for any help. I feel like an idiot :o

JonM 12-15-2011 02:57 AM

try numrich

but are you sure its out of shape?? does the rifle cycle or not?? a normal functional in spec oprod looks a little bent to the naked eye. you really need a correct oprod gauge to be sure of slight bends. if it functions without binding your prolly good to go.

the oprod is one of the pricier parts of a garand. mainly because a lot of machine work plus it takes someone that knows their stuff as in very skilled labor to properly form a oprod.

colmustard 12-16-2011 03:39 PM

It has a slight bend when I look at it, it still cycles fine when I do fucntion checks. But the thing that throws me off is when I was puting it back together from cleaning, after puting the op rod back onto the rifle, it would not just freely slide down by gravity alone when I tilted the rifle up. I read somewhere that it should be loose and freely be able to slide before connecting it to the spring. I cant remember if it was freely sliding last time I put it together.

Like I said it does function, is the freely sliding just abunch of whooy? If it is cool! That would be nice.

JonM 12-16-2011 10:36 PM

never heard of that but im not a garand guru in all of the little tricks. when your cycling the bolt and oprod without the spring does it feel like its rubbing anywhere??

you might need an opinion better than mine

colmustard 12-17-2011 03:08 PM

It seems to cycle ok, I think I will take it up to a gunsmith just to be safe. Thanks for the advise and time. :)

VitSports6 12-17-2011 04:27 PM

I have read that they are suppose to be slightly bent, On the CMP forum, I was told not to straighten mine out, If it cycles, I say run it, However the operating rods will most likely only be going up in price, Not that they are cheap by any means...

VitSports6 12-17-2011 04:31 PM

Doing a quick search on CMP, They suggest trying a "tilt test"

I hope it helps.
This is to check to see if it is rubbing anywhere, It could help in acurizing(is that even a word?!?) as well, I guess.

Sniper03 12-17-2011 04:36 PM

Colmustard,

As with Jon I have several M-1 Garands but am certainly not a guru either. But I will send you to one. His name is Terry Douglas at Hilltop Guns Inc. I Illinois! He is a Guru with a capital "G" Tel:309-949-2556 Tell him the LT. sent you~ He is also a good friend and fellow hunter of mine. He can advise how to check and make sure the rod is still ok or bent and help you or any of the gang here on the FTF with any issue with the Garand, Carbine, M-14 or Military 1911s. Wish I had a third of his knowledge! :)

Sniper03 12-17-2011 04:39 PM

VIT,

Thanks for your post regarding the YouTube video! :D
Great Post!

colmustard 12-18-2011 02:39 AM

:DThanks for the vid and thank you for the number! You guys rock! Like I said this gun is my baby, and I cant have her sick. I will call him soon and see whats up. Thank you again all, my m1 thanks you too!