Battle Rifle - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Would you think that the M1A Socom, with a 16.25 inch barrel, would be the best compromise?
I believe that it can be, but it really comes down to what the individual is willing to sacrifice on one side in order to gain on another.

Refference pic of a Socom alongside a Ruger 10-22, and M1 Carbine...

Weight of rifle, and ammo goes up with a rifle in 7.62x51mm, as compared to a rifle in 5.56mm. Faster follow up shots can also be acheived.

I've grown accustomed to it myself, but this may not be the case for everyone.
Also train with my rifle as much as time will allow. If I need follow on shots, I can do it as fast as I need to.

Why would I want to do this when I dont have too?

My biggest reason would be from past experiences. Folks tend to go to cover when being shot at. They also use cover when initiating a small arms ambush in most cases. Round for round....... 7.62x51mm does a better job at reducing said cover vs 5.56mm.

So, in short, the advantages of the lighter 5.56mm rifles/ammo is not worth what is sacrificed.....in my case.

Recomendations:

Get a hold of one if you can, and find out if it meets your own requirements.... to include some range time with all the rifles of interest. You may find that you can shoot an M4 very well, but not very well with an M1A.........or vice versa.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #82

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks, fragout, but my question was directed to a previous poster, and it was more or less rhetorical. I know the answer, I have a Socom.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #83

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Amazing a thread from 3 years ago is still running. I still like the simplicity of the delayed blowback of the Cetme/HK platform. I really like my Cetme w/ HK furniture and Stanlag mount w/ Hensoldt scope. I've had 1 FTE. The cause was some corrosion on the case head. I wanted to see what the rifle would eat. Other than that I've put 1000+ rounds a day through her without issue or cleaning. The MEM and DAG ammo is dirty compared to LC and IMI, but shoots to POA. With that 4x24 Hensoldt it becomes a new animal. 600 meter calibration is sweet. I just wish I had a range that I could use it that distance.
The Really good IMI is headstamped TZ W/ date, 80..83. FNM is also superior ammo. I have 1 battle pack left of each. 200 round is correct. Still have a bunch of loose boxes.
For a bolt gun I'm in for a 24/47 or K98. My K98 should be back from the smith wearing an original 1939 Zielveir and rings with milled mounts from Austria. Hard to beat as an 800 yard killer. The Swede M41b is also a great rifle, another 800 yard rifle. Lets not forget the 91/30 PU! Mine is a 1942.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Amazing a thread from 3 years ago is still running.
Wow, I never noticed that!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #85

Liked 373 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Yeah, I've watched this thread pop up from time to time now for about a year and it was started in 2007.

Hey! What ever happened to Matt G? I havn't seen a post from him since early this year.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Thanks, fragout, but my question was directed to a previous poster, and it was more or less rhetorical. I know the answer, I have a Socom.
Yes LONY you are right and you have a superior weapon....I do not because I cannot afford one right now. You can shoot thru a tree, I cannot. I am envious, jealous and feeling particularly inadequate. If I'm going M1A, it will be a full length man gun and not some sawed off little pip-squeak of a rifle, so there!
Semper gero sub gero

Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 AM   #87

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
If I'm going M1A, it will be a full length man gun and not some sawed off little pip-squeak of a rifle, so there!
Try some vehicle dismounts with both of them and you may change you opinion on that!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-28-2010, 02:19 AM   #88

Liked 373 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Yes LONY you are right and you have a superior weapon....I do not because I cannot afford one right now. You can shoot thru a tree, I cannot. I am envious, jealous and feeling particularly inadequate. If I'm going M1A, it will be a full length man gun and not some sawed off little pip-squeak of a rifle, so there!
Don't forget the oversize walnut stock when you get that M1A.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #89

Quote:
Not a question of superiority, and I never meant it that way; just trying to point out what, in my opinion, is a good alternative for all the criteria laid down in the thread. Chill out.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Try some vehicle dismounts with both of them and you may change you opinion on that!
M14......that is totally irrelevant! I will already be slothlike due to the 300 lbs of ammo I will be carrying.
Semper gero sub gero