Battle Rifle - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbore View Post
For my fellow M1A devotees: I am asked to make scope suggestion to a new owner of new, slim barrel, M1A for 300 yard + defense purposes.

I can only give him my M3 scope use - a bit coarse for that range, or the Leatherwood-far too slow for multiple perps- so what do you suggest???

Laus Deo
overbore
What pricepoint will he consider? He should avoid a side focus scope on an M14, whenever possible. The recoil impulses of the M14 tend to beat them up a bit.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #52

Quote:
...for 300 yard + defense purposes.
Dude, that is one gigantic house.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
For my fellow M1A devotees: I am asked to make scope suggestion to a new owner of new, slim barrel, M1A for 300 yard + defense purposes.

I can only give him my M3 scope use - a bit coarse for that range, or the Leatherwood-far too slow for multiple perps- so what do you suggest???

Laus Deo
overbore
Look at a Pride-Fowler RR800-2 with one of their SOCAUTO sights mounted to it.

The scope is a fixed 10x42 and the small heads up sight allows for quick, multiple shots within 150 to 200 yards. Teir RR-800-1 is a 3-9x42 if you want adjustable magnification.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #54

Rapid Reticle is cool, and I like the open sight with it. But what about the side focus issue mentioned above? Anything to that with this particular scope?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Rambler View Post
Rapid Reticle is cool, and I like the open sight with it. But what about the side focus issue mentioned above? Anything to that with this particular scope?
That scope was designed to be run on the M14 family and is mounted to many SEI rifles with good success reported.

I believe the focus is achieved by rotating the exit pupil, rather than utilizing a side focus.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #56

Thanks. Been looking at a PTR-91 or similar, and this scope is one I've been considering.

Howdy from a fellow Libertarian.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Rambler View Post
Thanks. Been looking at a PTR-91 or similar, and this scope is one I've been considering.

Howdy from a fellow Libertarian.
Always glad to help. Lemme know how she runs for you, I haven't heard any first hand reports on them yet.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #58

Liked 214 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 299

I was trained on the m-16/ar platform and thus I feel most comfortable with that. If I had to bugout for whatever reason I would want an AR slung over my shoulder. Not taking anything away from the other types of weapons that have been mentioned, I would feel out of place with anything else being thrown up to my shoulder.

Maybe if I had the opportunity to own and practice with some other weapons, I would prefer them over my AR, but as of now I will stick to what I know best, and what I know best is the AR!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I was trained on the m-16/ar platform and thus I feel most comfortable with that. If I had to bugout for whatever reason I would want an AR slung over my shoulder. Not taking anything away from the other types of weapons that have been mentioned, I would feel out of place with anything else being thrown up to my shoulder.

Maybe if I had the opportunity to own and practice with some other weapons, I would prefer them over my AR, but as of now I will stick to what I know best, and what I know best is the AR!
1 shot of 7.26x51 will drop a bad guy like 3 shots of 5.56x45.

Op rod rifles will run consistently when fouled, while direct impingement systems get cranky with the slightest bit of fouling.

A quality M14 will accurately deliver shots out past 800m. The maximum effective range on an M16 is 550m, with the M4 being shorter than that.

When all else fails, an M14 is a much better club than an AR.

The only advantage that the AR platform has is that they're quicker handling rifles but IMHO, the increased effective range for a point target on the M14 more than makes up for being a little more unwieldy.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #60

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
1 shot of 7.26x51 will drop a bad guy like 3 shots of 5.56x45.

Op rod rifles will run consistently when fouled, while direct impingement systems get cranky with the slightest bit of fouling.

A quality M14 will accurately deliver shots out past 800m. The maximum effective range on an M16 is 550m, with the M4 being shorter than that.

When all else fails, an M14 is a much better club than an AR.

The only advantage that the AR platform has is that they're quicker handling rifles but IMHO, the increased effective range for a point target on the M14 more than makes up for being a little more unwieldy.
Gotta love the .308. And I'm not gonna bash the M14 at all because I will agree that it is a FANTASTIC platform and has proven itself time and time again. But I've gotta agree with Casey and say that in a SHTF type situation, I'm gonna go with what I know, and that is the AR platform, but I'm not limited to the 5.56x45 because I've got an AR-10. So that would be what I would have to go with.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"