Battle Rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

nice pictures thanks, I never get tired of seeing the guns everyone has.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #12

Default battle guns

I believe the garand, m 14, FnFal are true battle guns. I have shot m-14s, and Fn fal(L1A1) both are very accurate, and all be it heavy battle guns. The Fn Fal had adjustable gas, and you can operate like a bolt action if you wish.(1 round manually at a time) The AR-15 is a little more accurate than a mini-14. (I have both) Ar is 16 inch bbl and Mini 18.5 inch bbl. The mini is the newer model that Ruger just came out with. I would not hesitate to have any of the above guns in a dire situation. I have carried all of the above guns in "gun call" situations (except for the mini- I just got it last fall- and its my personal gun)

Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay... I have shot the M-14, M-16, XM-21 sniper rifles, AK-47s, SAR-1 rifles, M-4 rifles, Mini-14s, M-1 .30 caliber carbines, various submachineguns, SMLEs in .303 caliber, 8 mm Mausers and just about everything else except for a Mosin-Nagant. For some reason I have not shot a MN rifle in 7.62 X 54R. I was first trained on an M-14, then M-16 and then an XM-21 in Viet Nam. The other rifles I got to shoot when I was either with a SF operational detachment or as a deputy sheriff. Out of all of them, my most favorite is the M-14 family of rifles which include the M-14, the XM-21, M-21 and M-1A rifles in 7.62 NATO. Trouble with the M-14 type rifles is that you can not carry as much ammo as you can with an AK-47 type rifle or M-16/M-4 type carbine. The most fun to shoot is the M-1 .30 caliber carbine. The most accurate is the M-1A. The most relibale rifles are the AK-47, FN/FAL and the M-1A rifles. Out of the 3, the AK is probably the most dependable of all 3 of them. So, what dictates which rifle I would use in a bad situation? Two things: the general terrain and tactics I'll be using.

If I were to be fighting in a built up area, I would like to have an AK type rifle to use. Shooting distances in a city, town or village are generally short... say well under 200 yards in most cases... and you need a decent round to sometimes punch through a little wood or plaster board. The 7.62 X 39 has the punch needed to get the job done. It was designed for built-up area combat.

If I were going to fight over a long distance area like some plains or steppes of Russia, I would want either a scoped M-1A/AR-10 in 7.62 NATO/.308 or a scoped M-16 type rifle. I would be looking at shooting long distances for some of my shots so I would want good accuracy.

If I were going to be working in the mountains of eastern Tennessee or in the Rockies I would probably want a quality FN/FAL rifle with a scope of some sort mounted on it.

In a desert environment, I would probably want an M-1A with a scope on it. If I have to move around a whole lot, then I would probably wish for a scoped M-16 rifle in spite of the wimp factor of the .223/5.56 bullet. Knowing what I know about the different rifles, I understand that I might have to go to head shots with the .223/5.56 rifle at distances under 150 yards or so in order to stay alive.

To me, rifles are tools that one uses to do a job. You need the right rifle for the right job. Sure, I know that some people will disagree with my choices for the different jobs but those are MY choices based on what I've trained to do and have experienced. So, explain to me what your choices are....

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The "wimp" factor you cite in the 5.56 is due to the fact that the Military doesn't use HP ammo. I am not limited by the Geneva Convention! My 69gr. Sierra HPBT Matchking's will group into 1/2" at 100 yds. and will kill somebody out to 500 yds. because they fragment on impact due in part to the velocity that the AK can never achieve. Someone mentioned that the .223 is not a good deer round, that's true, deer are much harder to put down than people. Additionally, the AR is a good general purpose arm because it can be fielded at short range as well as extreme range - the AK is useless beyond 200 m. in terms of accuracy, and it's knock-down power is much less than even a 30-30. I have DPMS AR in .308also, but it is too damned heavy to carry around, and is probably over-kill in most cases.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
The "wimp" factor you cite in the 5.56 is due to the fact that the Military doesn't use HP ammo. I am not limited by the Geneva Convention! My 69gr. Sierra HPBT Matchking's will group into 1/2" at 100 yds. and will kill somebody out to 500 yds. because they fragment on impact due in part to the velocity that the AK can never achieve. Someone mentioned that the .223 is not a good deer round, that's true, deer are much harder to put down than people. Additionally, the AR is a good general purpose arm because it can be fielded at short range as well as extreme range - the AK is useless beyond 200 m. in terms of accuracy, and it's knock-down power is much less than even a 30-30. I have DPMS AR in .308also, but it is too damned heavy to carry around, and is probably over-kill in most cases.
I wouldn't put my life on the line with assumption that the AK 7.62x39 round is 'useless' beyond 200 metres, I think you will find it will do what it say's on the tin, up to 450 metres...... I think you over state the ability of the .223 it will ricochet all over the place.........

Old 05-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

When I was searching for a main battle rifle, it came down to either a Springfield M1A or a DSArms FAL. I wound up going with a FAL carbine. So far, I've been very happy with my decision.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

mine list would be in this order
AK47
M1 Garand
AR15

Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If I were to be made King of America, I would re-equip my armed forces with M-14, M-1a or SOCOM, long range people stoppers. Sidearms of course would be 1911a1's.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #19

The problem with the M14 was that the ...average...soldier could not handle it in full auto. Garands were fine because they were semi-auto. Get a Beretta M-59 as a full auto Garand...and you are back to handling problems. My F/A M14 is a two shot burst weapon for me. Beyond two, it becomes a bird gun. Great for "whithering field of fire" if you don't have a BAR, but an ammo waster in the hands of the average grunt. The M-16 in Vietnam was able to lay down thousands of "spray and pray" rounds for every enemy killed. You see footage of our grunts holding their M16 over the brim and dumping a mag in the general direction of the enemy. Wasted alot of ammo, but couldn't do the same with the M14 (except waste ammo). Today the M14 is where it should be...Spec Ops. In the hands of a few highly trained individuals who can use it to best advantage. F/A is probably used only when the SHTF and suppressing fire is called for.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Battle Rifle

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Now, this is really gonna Take the room by Suprise? I Have Qualified on the M-14, the AR/M-16 Family of Weapons, as well as the AK, I'd say thier is NO ONE ANWSER! I'd say some Units would be better suited with a Full Rifle like M-14/M1A, others the M-16/Ar Series, yet others would be better suited with the AK? SF units do that sort of thing all the time and it works fine? It's called "Mission Specific" pick of weapons? Now, admit it, ya all thought Iwas gonna say AK all the way, right?

Thier are just many places for different units to use different weapons! Thgats just fact, I like a weapons Mix, Rifles, Shotguns and carbines, I feel each has it's place and each has it's use? Just my opinion, I know what works?