Battle Rifle - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #141
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 372 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 61

My Mosin is actually pretty darn accurate. I can reliably peg a 12x12 piece of plate steel at 225 yards, and a 12x24 piece at 300 yards. Extrapolating that out, I am fairly sure that I could not only hit the broad side of a barn at 1km, but quite probably the narrow side too.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #142

It would appear most of us would chose a rifle like the m14, m1a, hk, m1 grand or ak47if this was a survey. I personally don`t care for the HK or CETME because the cocking handle is on the left side near the end of the barrel. Some of the HK`s have a fluted chamber which makes the brass one shot if it is a boxer primmer. The HK is reliable but the Spanich CETME has a aftermarket receiver which I don`t care for in addition to the lower chamber pressure. Some of the members may disagree with me RE; "the chamber pressure" but I am not the one pulling the trigger.

patret

Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #143

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

finn mosin nagants are very accurate rifles.I have a M28/30 sako sky and a M28 sig that can shoot as good as my M1A.the M28/30 has a .3085 bore and with a the sierra 168 gr match bullets its a MOA rifle.
pete

M28/30

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #144

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Hell my mosin is so wildy inaccurate i couldnt hit something at a 10th of that distance consistantly... not an animal found around these parts anyway. I want to get me another one... or maybe just order a box of them. Thats the joy of volley sights though, you can get about 50 people to shoot it set at 2000 meters and someone is bound to hit something
Artillery positions during WW1 for one thing.

Grunt

Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #145

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey, I'm seriously looking at an Polytech M305, basically an M14 clone. They're super cheap in Canada, although i hear they need a bit of work to get out some of the commie parts. My main concern that I've come across that I am not sure about is the ammunition...
They M305 says its chambered for .308, but I hear some people saying that its supposed to be 7.62*51 (which is NOT the same despite the dimensions). Anyone know if the Chinese chambered it wrongly or if .308 really does work as intended. I'd rather not find out with it blowing up in my face! My only other thought was since the head springs are one of those cruddy parts that that might be why people are thinking that it should be the other ammo.

Anyone with experience? I'd love to hear it. Overall I feel that an m14 or type of is the best battle rifle.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #146

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Hey, I'm seriously looking at an Polytech M305, basically an M14 clone. They're super cheap in Canada, although i hear they need a bit of work to get out some of the commie parts. My main concern that I've come across that I am not sure about is the ammunition...
They M305 says its chambered for .308, but I hear some people saying that its supposed to be 7.62*51 (which is NOT the same despite the dimensions). Anyone know if the Chinese chambered it wrongly or if .308 really does work as intended. I'd rather not find out with it blowing up in my face! My only other thought was since the head springs are one of those cruddy parts that that might be why people are thinking that it should be the other ammo.

Anyone with experience? I'd love to hear it. Overall I feel that an m14 or type of is the best battle rifle.
Current crop of M305's are excellent. No need to worry about them. Stay with .308 under 180 grain and you are fine. Best to use 150 or 168. 7.62x51 is also GTG.

You will love the M305. Get a set of Superior Shooting Systems chrome silicon springs.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #147

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post

Our brothers to the north are lucky if ya ask me. I have a few Norinco M14S rifles, and 1 Polytech that were imported to the states yrs ago.

Chrome lined 22in bbls ( 1/12in twist rate, so it is optimum for the 144-168gr range of bullets)
forged receiver, along with 1 piece op-rod
With the exception of the stock, they are a good rifle from my experiences with them here.

To answer your question, it is safe to use either. ( Mine also have 308 stamped on the bbl btw)

Other than the stock, and fh, this one is all OEM parts, and I have used 7.62x51mm, and 308 through it since the early 90's

Who knows......maybe one of these days, our gov will let these rifles be imported to the states again.

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 12-02-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
So what was it you wanted to discuss?-Bidah
I was wondering same thing, I think he just wanted me to break out the reading glasses with that small print font.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #149

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

I owned an M1A, late 1970's to early 1980's, loved it but it was much spendier than the MIni 14's I've owned to shoot. The 7.62 Nato/.308 Win. is a great all around caliber for hunting and for a battle rifle. On the other hand it is considerably heavier than a Mini 14, many years ago I killed a large buck at 100 yards with a shot right between the eyes with a Mini 14 and when I grabbed the horns to drag it down the hill the whole skull was mush. What suprised me was just how accurate the factory peep sites were. My guess is that a patient shooter could do a lot of damage with the 5.56/.223 round, on the other hand if one just tries to hose down the bad guys burning 20-30 rounds, depending on magazine capacity, one might not hit much of anything.

Last edited by Viking; 12-16-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #150

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
So the "need" of a battle rifle is just related to inferiority complexes.
To what are you referring?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."