Battle Rifle - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #121
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 502

patret: please define "heavy combat" What is not heavy about afganistan and iraq? Combat is combat and the newer rifles are much improved over the orginal m-16 A1.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #122

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=patret;377660]The 5.56mm is a varmint round. The M16 rifle has not been used in heavy combat since Vietnam. In my opinion, it is a horrible design. The Russians issued the AK 74 in a 5.45 round but they made the bullet hollow in the front which makes the round tumble. Please look at the 100 yard energy of the 5.56 verse the 30 caliber carbine. The 5.56mm might make a good police round but it is a horrible battle round. Talk to any experienced combat vet and they will verify my opinion. The AK 47 will fire every time you pull the trigger but will your AR 15 or M16?? I have fired them all. This post will fall on many death ears and make some of you REMF`s angry but maybe some of you will listen.

Please excuse one on my terms.

Patret[

What is Death Ears?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 PM   #123

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

[quote=BudW;378002]

Quote:
Originally Posted by patret View Post
The 5.56mm is a varmint round. The M16 rifle has not been used in heavy combat since Vietnam. In my opinion, it is a horrible design. The Russians issued the AK 74 in a 5.45 round but they made the bullet hollow in the front which makes the round tumble. Please look at the 100 yard energy of the 5.56 verse the 30 caliber carbine. The 5.56mm might make a good police round but it is a horrible battle round. Talk to any experienced combat vet and they will verify my opinion. The AK 47 will fire every time you pull the trigger but will your AR 15 or M16?? I have fired them all. This post will fall on many death ears and make some of you REMF`s angry but maybe some of you will listen.

Please excuse one on my terms.

Patret[

What is Death Ears?
I think he meant "deaf ears".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #124

I almost dropped my laptop on the floor, this one is toooo funny
Also the op posted this '07

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Last edited by 753X0; 11-01-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
patret: please define "heavy combat" What is not heavy about afganistan and iraq? Combat is combat and the newer rifles are much improved over the orginal m-16 A1.
Sir,
I define heavy combat as a company or battalion as suffering more than 30% caulities. The Air Force will never suffer those number of caulities so based on your question and if you were in the AF, why would you ask?? The AR 15 or M16 is a inferrior type of weapon`s platform. Those caulities have not been suffered since Vietnam where the M16 was not working properly. You should ask any combat vetern if they were a combat vetern and ask them.
The M16 is not a reliable type of operating system nor will it ever be so please don`t ask a person who has lived and died by it. Thank God for the M14 and the M2 carbine. Thank you for your question.

Patret

Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by 753X0 View Post
I almost dropped my laptop on the floor, this one is toooo funny
Also the op posted this '07
Sir, you should know based on your pic and if you had to fire more than 300 rounds.

Patret

Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #127

Ok, I will tell everyone that I will never own the direct impingement type gas system as the M16. I can buy a better type of rifle. The M1a comes to mind as the AK 47, Fnfal, Fn 49, SKS and other that do not use the direct impingement type of gas system. The M16 was a political decession that everyone was taught to think was a good decession but was it? Not for me because it was not a good weapons decession but political. You people can make your own decession as some of the moderators of this forunm but it is not for me. I am not a politician. All of you can look up the system that the M16 utilizes and the decession is up to you. I may get booted from this forumn but I want to tell everyone the truth as I have observed. The M16 is a horrible design. I get really tired of the canned messages from some of the moderater`s who say everything is wonderfull when I know it is not. I may get booted but maybe some of you will get this post. Some of you will pick on my spelling but the messige remains the same.

May the sky fall because I don`t have a political bone in my body nor was I never a MP, Police officer, or in the Air Force. I was some what of a grunt.

Patret

Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #128

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Patret, I am not a big AR/M16 fan. I hate the "twang", and always have.

But I own AR's, use them quite often, and have not had a malfunction in any of them in YEARS. I would gladly trust my life to their ability to function if I was denied an M14 for some reason. Thank God that isn't gonna happen anytime soon, though.

My current Stag Carbine fired over 1,000 rds of Wolf steel cased ammo in one afternoon, in temps way over 100f and the only malfunction stemmed from a melted polymer coated shell sticking in the chamber after a long cool down period. That was deep in the desert and very dusty/sandy.

The current batch of AR/M16 series rifles are light years ahead in the reliability category from their predecessors. 40+ years of evolution and development does that to a product.

My AR's all have "D-Fender" D rings which is the single best improvement anyone can do to theirs. The next most profound improvement is the MagPul follower and the MagPul PMag.

Mine work. All of my friend's work as well. I don't need to keep any guns around that don't work. I test guns until they fail, then figure out what made them fail and fix it. The main problem with the early M16's was ammo related (ball powder instead of stick powder). That problem was solved 40 years ago.

That said, nobody is trying to convince you to like, or use one. I used to HATE AR's and if you feel that way it is fine with me. But calling them "junk" is no longer correct.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Patret, you are entitled and encouraged to have an opinion. However, not everyone may share it with you and if they disagree, that's just life. You don't have to convince anyone of anything. Just state your opinion. Some may agree with you and some may not. No big deal.

Relax and enjoy yourself.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #130

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

after 20 years 10 months and 26 days in the army my .02....
as a G.I. you don't get to pick a choose your weapon.you go to the arms room draw your assigned weapon and move out.I was issued a M16 in basic and my first unit we had the A1 and got the A2 just before I retired out of the 1st cav.the A2 is a good weapon better sights heavier barrel and accurate.again you have to KEEP the rifle CLEAN.
I also got issued the M9 now thats another story. I am not fond of the 9mm round as again your only get issued ball ammo and the 9mm just flat sux's.now before all the hate flames there is a BIG difference between using JHP and ball ammo.again we are talking G.I.s and issued ammo.
I like the 223/5.56 round in my sav HB and mini-14 its great on coyotes ect.its not a deer round even with the heavier sp bullets IMHO.I have hunted with friends and unless they had a perfect neck shot we were tracking deer.
now all that said if I was given the choice of a M4/M4A1 or a M14 I would grab the M14 and smile.
why do you think the army took the M14's out of moth balls in the first place?.

pete

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."