Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Not a question of superiority, and I never meant it that way; just trying to point out what, in my opinion, is a good alternative for all the criteria laid down in the thread. Chill out.
It is superior, I want one.....not flamed at all.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 09-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #92

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Duly noted, peace.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #93

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
It is superior, I want one.....not flamed at all.
Aha, I now see your problem....I want them ALL...M14's are like potato chips.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 AM   #94

That, and I am too sarcastic. Rock on M14!

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
That, and I am too sarcastic. Rock on M14!
I rely on sarcasm and irony to get me through most days.....

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #96

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Haha, Plinker, I know the feeling. So many choices so little money. I want a 308 AND a 1911. at this time it LOOKS like I'll have an RIA in a few weeks, but my computer just took a turn for the worse... So I have to factor that in against my M1A vs Howa 1500 vs neither decsion

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 10-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #97

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Nice post, rolltone. Pertinent.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #98

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Has anyone done a comparison of an M14 (any version/maker) to an AR10?

I know the AR 10 (7.62X51) has the newer technology with the straight-back design, but usually the older guns like the M14 have more durability due to parts and materials. I'm more concerned on how they shoot compared to one another. I'm looking for a good battle rifle for medium range work, but it can be hard to practice with different ones due to government restriction where I am. I am able to purchase these guns, but it's hard to get them out into the field. So I have to learn from other peoples experiences?

Thoughts? Price comparisons, bad/good experiences? Right now I'm leaning to the AR10 as my choice, but I like to hear new ideas that I can study up on.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Old 10-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Has anyone done a comparison of an M14 (any version/maker) to an AR10?

I know the AR 10 (7.62X51) has the newer technology with the straight-back design, but usually the older guns like the M14 have more durability due to parts and materials. I'm more concerned on how they shoot compared to one another. I'm looking for a good battle rifle for medium range work, but it can be hard to practice with different ones due to government restriction where I am. I am able to purchase these guns, but it's hard to get them out into the field. So I have to learn from other peoples experiences?

Thoughts? Price comparisons, bad/good experiences? Right now I'm leaning to the AR10 as my choice, but I like to hear new ideas that I can study up on.
Yes. I have done the comparisons a few times over the years.

Accuracy potential goes to the AR10 platform, but a tuned M14 can shoot as well. I always find the "accuracy of the .308/7.62x51 comparisons" to be more academic than practical. The round peters out before accuracy becomes a problem IMO.

Reliability goes to the M14 platform.

My good friend has a couple of AR10 variants, one DPMS DGI and one POF Piston driven. Both shoot very well, and have been very reliable. But the inexplicable random failure to eject still happens from time to time.

I had a long conversation with one of the guys at the POF booth at SHOT a couple of years ago. He was a SWAT cop who used a POF on duty. It had been 100% reliable for him. I asked him how his accuracy was and his reply was "I don't know". Reason? He only shot on reactive targets, and only out to about 400 yards. They scored "hits", not "groups". For what he used it for that was plenty good enough.

The closed design of the AR type rifles is nice, and mounting optics is a breeze. But the M14 has never had reliability issues with an open top receiver, and good mounts (Bassett Machine, Sadlak, Smith Ent) are easy to mount.

I find the AR10 rifles to be too front heavy, and prefer the ergonomics of a semi pistol grip stock like the M14. The US Military rates the M16 receiver for about 16,000 rds, and the M14 receiver for in excess of 500,000 rds, but of course each will need to be rebuilt several times along the way.

In Canada the Norinco M-305 can still be bought, cheap, right? They are excellent, forged M14's. The early ChiComs had issues with some of their bolts, but the rest of the parts are GTG for the most part. Reports are that they have fixed the bolt problems on their current rifles.

If I was looking for a rifle with an AR profile, but the durability and longevity of an M14, I'd drop one of the M-305's into a Sage stock. If the looks were not of importance, I'd go with a JAE stock.

Here are two groups fired by one of my rifles in a JAE stock using Black Hills 168gr. Plenty good enough for the capabilities of the caliber.

Either rifle will serve you well. Go with the one you like best.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 10-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #100

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
The Socom eats up anything I put thru it, and seems to love HOR T.A.P. the best for groups.
The horandy 7.69 x 39 v-max rounds have probably given my sks 100 extra usable yards ...with accuracy and knock down. Basically give you the range of FMJ with the expansion of a HP. Good stuff.