Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Auto's for hunting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

...'sides, high capacity magizines are a might scarce for the .50 cal CVA Frontier rifle

Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #42

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rum View Post
...'sides, high capacity magizines are a might scarce for the .50 cal CVA Frontier rifle
True, but I used to carry several speed loaders for it...I can reload it in about 15 seconds, and I NEVER felt undergunned. Of coiurse feeling over-gunned is a MUCH better feeling...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I like to use a bolt or lever action rifle for hunting just because it is simpler. there are fewer moving parts and therefore fewer things that can go wrong when you're out hunting in the middle of nowhere. My primary hunting rifle is my Tikka T3 (made by Sako, imported by Beretta) in .30-06. It's light-weight (something like 7.5lbs with scope and bi-pod), bolt-action, and deadly accurate.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtroyb View Post
The goal should always be to kill with one shot and a patient experienced hunter should need just that, one.
Or did I misunderstand and you were complimenting single shot users. After all Nimrod from the Old Testament was a great and much admired hunter.
Shouldn't the goal be food... If I am staving, fatiqued, etc... I don't care how many shots it takes to get my meal.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 07-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss0105 View Post
How many of you use autos for hunting? And if so, why?

I saw someone in the local hunting grounds. He had an automatic rifle with him? That is just ridiculous to me!
To each his own. You should ALWAYS make the first shot count, BUT in heavy cover where a twig may deflect a shot a fast follow-up shot may be critical. I have no problem with people hunting with whatever they prefer and are most proficient with.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #46

Default When the word hunt is mentioned I am there!

I'll take heat for it I am sure but my Colt 1911 in 9x23 makes an excellent coyote, fox, and pig gun and has scored quite well for me on that type of game. I also hunt with one of my favorite field pistols a Ruger P89 9mm for varmints, jack rabbits, and such. Hunting jacks with a 9mm auto is a great shooting skills maker and the P89 does a fair job with no complaints from me.

On the single shot Nimrod in the woods, I confess I am one! Its a TC Encore in 375 H&H magnum. Never had much use for a second shot for some reason or other.

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #47

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss0105 View Post
How many of you use autos for hunting? And if so, why?

I saw someone in the local hunting grounds. He had an automatic rifle with him? That is just ridiculous to me!
I use SEMI automatic rifles for hunting exclusively. 10-22 for little critters, and M14 for big ones...............

Reasons? This is what I own, this is what I like to shoot, and this is what I like to carry around in the woods on short, and long treks. ( Livin in the free world does have a few advantages... ) I would rather spend funds on more ammo than purchasing another rifle just for hunting. Just my .02 here.
Besides......... if I do my part, the critters dont seem to realize any difference between being hit with a bullet from an M14, or a 308 chambered single shot rifle. The same applies with a 10-22 vs a single shot 22lr rifle. Either will do the job IMO, provided that the trigger puller is doin thiers.

Grunt

Old 08-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #48

[QUOTE=eaglesnester;8989]There is no such thing as a semi-automatic weapon. A weapon is single fire or it is automatic. A 1911 45 cal. colt is a automatic pistol. You load the clip, slide it into the magazine, pull back on the slide and jack a round into the chamber and you can continue shooting until the magazine is empty. It loads the next round automatic. The next classification is machine gun. Not fully auto.

Automatic refers to the pulling of the trigger to discharge the weapon. Automatic means pull the trigger and hold it and the gun continues to fire until the magazine is empty. Semi-automatic means you pull the trigger and ONE cartridge is fired and another is chambered, ready to be fired with the next pull of the trigger. Single shot weapons (lever action, bolt action, single shot, etc) fire one cartridge and then you have to manually put the next cartridge into the chamber. Please get your nomenclature correct.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #49
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Thank you redwheat. Yes, the Colt "Automatic" pistol is a legitimate designation but terms have been refined since the demise of John M. Browning. Current nomenclature is different than that of the early 20th century. The language continues to evolve.