Auto's for hunting... - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Auto's for hunting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While I agree the fellow in the post was Probably refering to someone with a semi-auto rifle, his lack of ability to see the difference is troubling? I know of a lot of folks here in WV who hunt Deer every year with a semi-auto SKS! Works as well as 30/30 did and it's leagal! I've seen other folks hunt all sort of Varmits 2 and 4 legged with the AR series of rifles and carbines! What troubles me, is that this fellow probably thinks these are Select Fire, or Full Auto weapons? If he knows that Little about it, I feel for him and Perhaps he should educate himself before he steps into the woods with the rest of us? Not trying to start a Flame war, but this is the same sort of Ignorance that the Media uses to Portray us all as machine Gun toting hunters? It's a true Problem and part of what is used to Convince the NO Gun owning Public that we do the machine gun the deal deal? Education is the Key! Fools abound!

RON L
You bring up and interesting point Ron. Where does the confusion come from between semi- and fully-automatic firearms? The media gets away with calling all sorts of guns full autos which spreads such confusion. "Fully automatic" are huge buzz words among the media and it is this kind of stupidity that spreads to the masses.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have hunted with my FAL, as well as my AR. I may even get the 6.8 or 6.5 upper for the AR and use that. Not that I see a lot of hunters, but you do get some strange looks now and then.

I did get some funny looks one time when I was squirrel hunting with the AR and a .22lr conversion upper. They thought I was hunting with .223..

-Bidah

Old 07-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #23

Browning BAR, Browning Auto 5, Remington 760 (sorry, drawing a blank on the Remington semi auto rifle model at the moment - i am getting old, but I think it is the Model 760) Remington 1100/11-87, Mossberg 9200, SKS, FAL, M-1, M-14 ... just a few of the great semi auto hunting arms.

Gun Control is a MUST! If you cannot control your gun get one you CAN!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The ar platform , is one of the best most accurate type of guns to hunt with. Very accurate,very durable.Got tired of the tc one shoot deal!!

Old 08-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #25

never,never scorn a man's rifle, no matter what he uses, for its likely he really knows How to use it!!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:47 AM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While I agree the fellow in the post was Probably refering to someone with a semi-auto rifle, his lack of ability to see the difference is troubling? I know of a lot of folks here in WV who hunt Deer every year with a semi-auto SKS! Works as well as 30/30 did and it's leagal! I've seen other folks hunt all sort of Varmits 2 and 4 legged with the AR series of rifles and carbines! What troubles me, is that this fellow probably thinks these are Select Fire, or Full Auto weapons? If he knows that Little about it, I feel for him and Perhaps he should educate himself before he steps into the woods with the rest of us? Not trying to start a Flame war, but this is the same sort of Ignorance that the Media uses to Portray us all as machine Gun toting hunters? It's a true Problem and part of what is used to Convince the NO Gun owning Public that we do the machine gun the deal deal? Education is the Key! Fools abound!

RON L
It really is a problem. Talk to a bunch of city folks and you'll find that a large number of them automatically assume you are talking about something that would be suitable mounted on top of a tank the minute you mention semi-auto. The media is more than happy to feed them this bs, and they are more than happy to consume it.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #27

IMO,Semi-Automatic rifles are the way to go as far as hunting goes,I fare pretty well with my Mosin..I've missed my fair share,I've wounded,I've downed with one shot,just depends on my mood and how my day's going (Aka if my wife's nagging me before hand or not)...But if I do hit..and wound,and it can still run,by the time I've fed a fresh round into the chamber,my target,is gone..and usually,I don't find it...I'm a horrible tracker..so all you guys that hunt with a muzzle loader..hats off to you gents,you're doing something that I can't really do yet!...but back to the topic..
For people that sit in tree stands with a SMG or something...thats...putting it bluntly..retarded...every weapon has it's place...SMGs and MGS places are at ranges or in war,NOT hunting deer..if were doing that,we may as well break out some RPG's and hunt with those as well..I hope that the people that Hunt with sub-machine guns and machine guns see the error in their ways before one day,something does happen to where the only thing we can hunt with are spears...
Why try and kill a mosquito with a cannon when I fly swatter does the job,and more effeciently?...I suppose to each their own right?

Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Gotta jump in here

There is no such thing as a semi-automatic weapon. A weapon is single fire or it is automatic. A 1911 45 cal. colt is a automatic pistol. You load the clip, slide it into the magazine, pull back on the slide and jack a round into the chamber and you can continue shooting until the magazine is empty. It loads the next round automatic. The next classification is machine gun. Not fully auto. I am probably gonna catch some flak here but what the hey> Every time I hear a nimrod newscaster describing a mad shooter using a full automatic weapon and shot so and so at point blank range, I get angry because the guy does not know of what he speaketh. Point blank is another term that is thrown around. I do believe that point blank for a colt 45 auto is around 25 yards. Point blank for my 308 Norma Mag is zeroed at 258 yards.
Cheers: Eaglesnester

Old 03-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #29

i try to use a semi auto every time i hunt!!!!!
this keeps the dems from baning them in my mind(no they are hunting weapons and not the street gang gunz)
for coyotes i use a mac 90 or better known as the AK
for rabbits and squral i use a 10/22 or a semi 12 charls daily
the semi 12 is also good for bird of all sorts
but for big game i prefer the BAR Mk II cambered in 300 WM
i also belong to a one shot club out here in the desert but they all look at me funny when i refuse to swap my weapon for like a breach gun (they also send me with a partner to keep an eye on me lol i might not b the type for there group im kinda out there and dont have the same views as many of them but they dont stop taking the meat when i give them some lol (they missed) and they do like my recipes for javelin's)

Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmons View Post

What I have never understood is some nimrod in the woods with a single shot.

:
Hey, now. If hunting small game, I take my single shot 12 everytime. There is nothing wrong with having to hit what you are shooting at the first time you pull the trigger. lol