Auto's for hunting... - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Auto's for hunting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mighty Nimrod

Nimrod was the great grandson of Noah and the founder of Babylon. He was refered to as a mighty hunter. He is also most likely the builder of the tower of Babel.
The derogatory usage of nimrod comes from a Bugs Bunny cartoon where he called Elmer Fudd "poor little nimrod". He was using it as a reference to the mighty hunter Nimrod as a sort of sarcastic mockery. The word was confused in later years as an insult itself.
If indeed Nimrod is the one who mocked God from the top of the tower of Babel then it is appropriate, I suppose, that his name has become an insult in modern times.
So I guess "mighty nimrod" could be a complement or an insult, depending on the literacy of the speaker.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #12

I'm sorry I seem to have brought us way of topic here.
I'll try to make it right.
I don't see any problem with using a semi-auto for hunting.
What ever you feel comfortable and confident with is what you should use. Ther are a lot of folks out there taking deer every season with an SKS and just as many with a Ruger No.1.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't worry dtroyb, it was a neat history lesson!

God, grant me the courage to do what I know is right, even when I think it is hopeless.

www.michiganmilitia.com

Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #14

Default Agreed - I learned something!

And I must confess that Bugs Bunny was my all time favorite wise guy! Tony Soprano would never stand a chance against that furry guy!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #15

Hunting with a auto loader,single shot? M1a 1-1/4" group @ 200yd. Thompson Center Arms Contender 7-30 Waters 2-1/4" group @ 200. These are off a bench with a scope. Getting to old to do off hand and cant see good enough to use the open sights.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #16

Default Semi auto rifles

I agree that hunting with semi-automatic rifles is fine. Sometimes even the best of us need that quick second shot. If someone is hunting with a machine gun, they're NOT hunting. They are just dumb. Spraying lead is not hunting. Might as well call in an air strike to kill the deer.
Single shot hunters get all my respect. They are usually the most patient and the best shots. Remember that the mountain men didn't get a second shot most of the time. You either ate or starved depending on what you did with your only shot. That's hunting!

Ron

Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #17

Default autoloaders

I hunted with a gew43 one year(with scope)1962 nicked a quartering deer.
ever hear of a rem mod 4 also win 03?401cal.standard arms 1910 in25/30/32/35/rem. rem mod 4 was popular before ww2.lots of history in guns if you look for it.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #18

I won't hunt with a single shot. Even the best can miss. I've wounded 2 whitetails in my days and that 2nd shot sure was handy. Of course I don't tout that I am a terrific shot, however, both of these animal moved at the time I pulled the trigger. That follow up shot saved a lot of tracking. So I guess I really like having the option of another bullet for convenience sake, hehehe

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights

Old 05-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Auto's for Hunting?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While I agree the fellow in the post was Probably refering to someone with a semi-auto rifle, his lack of ability to see the difference is troubling? I know of a lot of folks here in WV who hunt Deer every year with a semi-auto SKS! Works as well as 30/30 did and it's leagal! I've seen other folks hunt all sort of Varmits 2 and 4 legged with the AR series of rifles and carbines! What troubles me, is that this fellow probably thinks these are Select Fire, or Full Auto weapons? If he knows that Little about it, I feel for him and Perhaps he should educate himself before he steps into the woods with the rest of us? Not trying to start a Flame war, but this is the same sort of Ignorance that the Media uses to Portray us all as machine Gun toting hunters? It's a true Problem and part of what is used to Convince the NO Gun owning Public that we do the machine gun the deal deal? Education is the Key! Fools abound!

RON L

Old 06-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #20

I hunt with a semi-auto .308 saiga. It does very well, but it is kind of heavy. I also use a single shot H&R 45/70 during muzzle loading season (yes that is legal in mississippi). I find myself grabbing it sometimes over the .308 even during rifle season because it is lite and easy to carry. There is rarely a need for a follow up shot with the 45/70, and with the new hornady leverevolution ammo you can confidently shoot at deer up to 200 yards.