Assault Rifle? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Assault Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've said it before. Get the ACR and the chances of getting a select fire are there.

The future Larue Costa backed AR seems to have a lot of nice features.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Before you push the button on the 6.8SPC take a look at the 6.5 Grendel.

6.5 Grendel Ballistics

From the Alexander Arms link below:

Shooting a 123-grain Lapua Scenar with a ballistic coefficient of .547 and a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps delivers outstanding accuracy out to 1200 yards. At 600 yards, tennis ball size targets are no match for this flat shooting round.

Alexander Arms - 6.5 Grendel

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-03-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #13

I have heard nothing but good things about the Grendel and my brothers have some pretty extensive research on it as well but it comes down the cost of reloading, and its more expensive to reload that then the 6.8 and in my small ass home town I would have to be hitting up midway for all of my reloading supplies (dyes, plates, and brass) and it just becomes more of a hassle when dealing with unique cartridges like the Grendel. I have better access to the 6.8, but I will definitely dig a little deeper and do some research myself on the round. Thanks for the tip! That would be a fun load to work too, especially after looking at that ballistics chart.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #14

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
<snip>

ps: The term "assault rifle" means a selective fire, shoulder mounted, man portable, air cooled, magazine fed weapon that fires an intermediate rifle cartridge. The M-16 is an assault rifle. The AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle.
True that.

To the OP on the lecture of the "assault rifle"... We don't care for that term much.

During the ban-hype of the pre-internet 80's that we were trying to fight, "Assault Guns/Assault Rifles" were the wicked terms the anti-gun media and politicians used to paint ALL OF US semi-auto owners as Patrick Purdey types ready to explode. It wasn't true then or now.

Sadly, too many "gun capialist whores" delighted in their full-page spreads in SGN touting their selection of assault rifles, so we had no ally even among our own ranks. The 89 ban hit and the rest is history.

Now any shooting of any kind anywhere in the USA is by an "AK" or a "semi-auto assault weapon", regardless.
Example; there were two shootings here in PGH this past week; in one the media made sure to state it was an AK, and in the other shooting the reporter explicitly stated it was an "M4, an AR-15 like the US troops carry" in Affcrackassitan.

WTF.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

6.8 looks like a really nice round. Have recently been looking at the .300 blackout and if you were looking for suppressed like I believe I read above it is definitely something to look into. Can go from subsonic to supersonic with just a mag change. For an AR platform....Idk just something to think about

Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I've said it before. Get the ACR and the chances of getting a select fire are there.

The future Larue Costa backed AR seems to have a lot of nice features.
Huh? What chances are there of getting select fire in the ACR? As a civilian, one has ZERO chances of getting a select fire ACR. NONE were made pre 86 so NONE are transferrable.

If there is some sort of black market available for select fire ACR components DO NOT POST THEM HERE!!!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #17

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

cant one own any type of full auto;(pre or post 86') if they are a classIII dealer & give up thier license?

Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #18

I wouldn't want anything like that anyways, I would get too trigger happy and burn through ammo likes it cool. Lol and I'm not familiar with ffl classes so I wouldn't know anyways.

And I've never even heard of the .300 blackout before I'm gunna have to look into it. Only question I have on that is, is it suppressable?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #19

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

i dont know either,thats why im asking? if its true...looks like it would be a cheaper way to own 1 full atuo even if the lic. is 5K

as for the .300 blackout,i've heard its one bada$$ round

Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Huh? What chances are there of getting select fire in the ACR? As a civilian, one has ZERO chances of getting a select fire ACR. NONE were made pre 86 so NONE are transferrable.

If there is some sort of black market available for select fire ACR components DO NOT POST THEM HERE!!!
You must have missed the waives of civilian ACRs that went F/A on their owners.

Have I ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8ter01 View Post
I wouldn't want anything like that anyways, I would get too trigger happy and burn through ammo likes it cool. Lol and I'm not familiar with ffl classes so I wouldn't know anyways.

And I've never even heard of the .300 blackout before I'm gunna have to look into it. Only question I have on that is, is it suppressable?
The F/A comment was a joke referring to the bad quality of the ACR and how there were some semi only that went F/A on their unsuspecting owners.

The .300 BLK is a good round. All you need it a barrel change to go from 5.56 to .300 BLK. You also get to choose from the numerous rounds already developed for the .308. It's very smooth.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."