Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Assault Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Assault Rifle?

I am currently stationed in California in the military, California gun laws are an ass pain by the way, and I've been looking at buying a new toy. I am buying it back in Oregon to avoid the stupidity. I want an assault rifle and have been looking at the Bushmaster ACR, but I haven't had a chance to shoot or field test any of them. Any body heard any good things or experienced how the Bushmaster handles? I just want it to link around with and do some coyote shooting, no competitions er anything. I was looking at the 6.8 for just a little extra knock down power while maintaining a manageable muzzle velocity. So any advice would be awesome!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8ter01
I am currently stationed in California in the military, California gun laws are an ass pain by the way, and I've been looking at buying a new toy. I am buying it back in Oregon to avoid the stupidity. I want an assault rifle and have been looking at the Bushmaster ACR, but I haven't had a chance to shoot or field test any of them. Any body heard any good things or experienced how the Bushmaster handles? I just want it to link around with and do some coyote shooting, no competitions er anything. I was looking at the 6.8 for just a little extra knock down power while maintaining a manageable muzzle velocity. So any advice would be awesome!
What's an assault rifle?

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2604 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

The process to obtain an assault rifle will be long and fairly expensive. You cannot purchase the select fire version of the ACR unless you are an LE Agency or a Dealer going to demo it for an LE Agency.

Now if you are actually talking about the Sport Utility Rifle, semi auto (non assault rifle) version of the ACR, then you may be in luck. The ACR was much anticipated, but very dissapointing. Reliability problems plagued them froml the get go. Add to that a price that is out of must people's range made for a dog on the market. A good AR will do anything the ACR will at 1/3 the price.

ps: The term "assault rifle" means a selective fire, shoulder mounted, man portable, air cooled, magazine fed weapon that fires an intermediate rifle cartridge. The M-16 is an assault rifle. The AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
The process to obtain an assault rifle will be long and fairly expensive. You cannot purchase the select fire version of the ACR unless you are an LE Agency or a Dealer going to demo it for an LE Agency.

Now if you are actually talking about the Sport Utility Rifle, semi auto (non assault rifle) version of the ACR, then you may be in luck. The ACR was much anticipated, but very dissapointing. Reliability problems plagued them froml the get go. Add to that a price that is out of must people's range made for a dog on the market. A good AR will do anything the ACR will at 1/3 the price.

ps: The term "assault rifle" means a selective fire, shoulder mounted, man portable, air cooled, magazine fed weapon that fires an intermediate rifle cartridge. The M-16 is an assault rifle. The AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle.

ROBO, you said it so nicely.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #5

That's why I'm going through the start of Oregon, its my home of residence so you can pretty easily obtain one that isn't a California compliant weapon, meaning I can have a push button magazine release and i can own high cap mags, no length restrictions and the silencer will not be a hassle what so ever. As far as the reliability issue, could you go into more details? Mis-feeds? Mis-fires? Er what? And the price isn't an issue for me, I'm single and just got back from over seas, but at the same time I realize that I could make an impressive build for just the base price of the ACR but I'm looking for something pretty high end. I want it to last me a while and I like the ergonomics of the ARC. Any comments on 6.8 cartridge its self? Is it even worth it? I know its cost more to do hand loads for then the standard 5.56 and not as fast, but I like the knock down power of the bigger round.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #6

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

I would start reading anything you can find about the ACR, it's led a painful existence since Bushmaster acquired it and at least one recall. Also Bushmaster quality seems to have deteriorated even further since they closed up their factories in Windham, ME and Lake Havasu City, AZ last year which doesn't bode well for recent units. I'd look elsewhere, maybe a quality AR-15 from Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense and a few others.

robocop10mm pretty much summed it up with "A good AR will do anything the ACR will at 1/3 the price."

As far as the 6.8 it's a good cartridge if you really need it but honestly what you're talking about the 5.56 will excel at and be much cheaper.

Here are a few quick Google hits of ACR problems/lackluster reviews, you can find a lot more - positive and negative

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/01/27/thoughts-on-the-magpulbushmaster-acr/
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/10/16/bushmaster-acr-recall/
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/giao-nguyen/gun-review-bushmaster-acr/

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #7

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys. I really do appreciate it, its hard to have time to research this time of year so thanks for the advice and links.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #8

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If I were spending that much cheddar, I'd look at the LaRue Tactical Stealth OBR 7.62mm.

7.62 OBR

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about the scar 16 in 5.56 or17in .308 little bit cheaper and I have seen and heard some good stuff but have not shoot one yet might be worth a look.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #10

Canebrake: I have looked at the 7.62 cartridge alot believe me, I have an older brother that consistently shoots a 1000 yards with his Remington 700 action (at about a 45 degree elevation) and I'm just not a fan of the "rainbow rock chucker" as my brother so rightfully puts its. Granted I prolly wouldn't ever shoot a 1000 yards of an AR platform anyway but the reason I was looking at the 6.8 is because I figured it was a good compromise between velocity and energy. I like my rounds to have a nice little snap to em. I am an avid hand loader (when I'm home) and me and my brothers have spent the past 8 years at least working up loads for his 7.62 and have spent about 3 years working up loads for 5.56. So the excitement of a new cartridge to play with also played a factor in the 6.8.