AR10 v. SCAR 17S v. M1A
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR10 v. SCAR 17S v. M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
KAG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default AR10 v. SCAR 17S v. M1A

Im looking to get a new semi-auto money drainer. I've decided to go .308 for many reasons, the most obvious is that I already have enough ways to use .556.

I want to know what y'all think. Please dont compare money becasue any money spent on a gun these days can be recovered.

I like the familiarity of the AR10. I LOVE the look of the SCAR (FNH makes some cool stuff). The M1A is bas @$$.

However, I've never shot either, but I will handle them this weekend at the Houston gun show (hopefully).

Lets hear what what you would get if they were all the same price!

Sorry if this has been done before

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

KAG

There are several good 308 Semi Auto Rifles our there. The Springfield M1-A is always my favorite since I shot the M-14 Style Rifle in the Army and on the Team. But Rock River makes a nice one in the LAR-08. And it takes inch or metric FN FAL Mags that you can get at any gun show. Regarding the magazines you are not stuck at the mercy of a dedicated magazine and price. The one I have is a 16" barrel and will group at 1 MOA at 100. Never had a failure. Obviously the FN Scar is a good rifle. I like the FN Rifles. I purchased an FN-LAR NM in 1985 and it is a nice weapon. A buddy of mine has a DPMS that is a good shooter and seems to be a good rifle. There are others as mentioned. I think you are approaching it from the right view point. Go to the Show and check all of them out for your liking feel and other reasons. Do not let a dealer influence you in your selection. By bashing this one and that one over the other. Half the time they don't really know what they are talking about but it sounds like they do. They just want to push their brand to make a buck! You must select it for you! Good Luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I was really hoping poeple would talk about problems with shooting over the other. For instance, I dont really like the fixed stocks that come with the M1A, but of course you can change it.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

i dont have an ar type in 308 due mainly to the hodge podge of parts out there. if i was gonna get a ar10 type it would be a rra mainly because of the ability to use commonly available magazines.

the scar i dont see as worth the money.

i do own a springfield m1a and its a wonderful rifle if a touch on the heavy side. ive got a basset mount for the scope but it doesnt work as advertised. keeps shooting loose, i should have got a different mount. my intended use is purely range or as my ohshthtthfan long range rifle. i chose it to replace my remington700 xcr. its got less felt recoil than an ar10 mainly due to the heavier weight. the only issue i dont care for is the ak style mag insertion where you have to rock it back and forth and use an ak style lever to remove it. huge design flaw. reloads are relatively slow for me compaired to m1 garand, 03a3, or ar15 reloads.

if i had to pick over would i opt for the ar10?? no i would still take the m1a. ive fired both and the m1a is just a better shooting rifle.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have both the M1A and the SCAR 16S.

I plan to purchase the SCAR17S. It is a very robust .308 rifle.

The advantages of being able to swap barrels very easily, adjustable stock, full length picatinny rail, pistol grip, overall its lighter than the other .308s, this is probably because of the lighter profile barrel that the 17s come with out of factory. Its pricey but worth it in my opinion.

I am very happy with the 16S, it gives me some strong insight to the 17S. At the moment, magazines are hard to find for the 17S but availability is getting better with time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the M1A but the SCAR heavy (aka 17s) is a great .308 rifle.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Here's my M1A:

My Scar light, heavy coming soon. HK91 .308 in the background:

Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77
Here's my M1A:
Sorry for getting off topic, but what's that bag? I think it's want in a bag

Op, the pro to an ar10 lies in familiarity, if you're familiar with an ar15 transitioning to an ar 10 things go easier. The same would be true with transitioning to a Scar-17 me thinks.

Sent from my DROID2 using FirearmsTalk

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ArmaLite: The original and only AR10.

Be Well.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #9

I have an Armalite AR10A4 and love it. The magpul PRS stock gives the gun substantial weight but is manageable. Mags are not an issue and it eats everything stuffed into it. I have shot an M1A socom and like it fine. it comes down to the ergonomics. I'm more familiar with the AR style so naturally it is more comfortable for me to shoot. I have not shot the scar. I handled one at a gun shop a few weeks ago and wasn't impressed. Plastic is good for pistols but I prefer my long guns to be steel.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #10

Likes Given: 1

Default 308

I would go with an FAL DSA makes some of the best but an embel will do the job. I have a FN FAL and it holds a 2.5 MOA at 200 meters.