Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR vs AK vs SKS vs FAL vs CETME vs M14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Oh, where's the Mosins?

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #22

Liked 568 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Just saying... If you have problems with reliability in your AR...get a better AR. I've had 4, all were reliable. The S&W and custom build that I have left are EXTREMELY reliable. As a matter of fact, I sold my AK because it was NOT as reliable as my AR. Also, it wasn't as accurate, modular, pretty, etc...you get the idea.

I guess it's just a fluke that my AR's are as reliable as any AK I've ever shot.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #23

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Oh, where's the Mosins?
Might do a milsurp rifle thread, next.
There's enough of those for that!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #24

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19
Just saying... If you have problems with reliability in your AR...get a better AR. I've had 4, all were reliable. The S&W and custom build that I have left are EXTREMELY reliable. As a matter of fact, I sold my AK because it was NOT as reliable as my AR. Also, it wasn't as accurate, modular, pretty, etc...you get the idea.

I guess it's just a fluke that my AR's are as reliable as any AK I've ever shot.
Would love to burry your AR and my AK in the mud for a couple days and see which one comes out firing.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #25

Liked 568 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77

Would love to burry your AR and my AK in the mud for a couple days and see which one comes out firing.
Where you at? Lets do it!

No gun was designed to be buried in mud. I don't expect either to pass that test.

Last edited by kryptar19; 06-23-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 833 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77

Anyone that intentionally buries a gun in mud and then proceeds to shoot it is not proving anything but foolishness. I absolutely hate that argument. "Hey I'm gonna pour sand in my gun and shoot it. I bet yours can't do that!" Name a real world situation, not a doomsday prepper scenario where burying any kind of gun in mud and then shooting it without cleaning it is a good idea. This is the same as people arguing over Glock vs. 1911, Ford vs. Chevy, iPhone vs. Blackberry, etc. etc..

Just have to accept that each has his own preference even if his gun really isn't the best. Maybe it's the best for him.

I prefer accurate guns over guns with loose fitting parts that will shoot when nasty.

Just my opinion.....
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 606 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 233

The FAL, CETME/HK91, and M14, even in stock form, are pretty heavy rifles.

The CETME and HK91 are simply not ergonomic weapons. I owned a real HK91 and sold it. I'd never buy another one. I'm not that big and the stock was simply too short for me, even the HK21E buttstock I replaced the 91/G3 stock with.

The sighting mechanism of the FAL is not up to par with the M14.

Of the battle rifles mentioned, I like the M14 the best for ergonomics, sight adjustment, and operating mechanism most similar to an AK.

Between the SKS and the AK, I prefer the AK. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about the SKS, I've shot them and a variety of Russian, Chinese, and Bulgarian AK models and apart from the fact that the SKS is cheaper, I would never take a SKS over an AK.

Of all the types mentioned, I prefer the AR carbines for its light weight, ergonomics, aftermarket parts supply, and availability of ammunition, magazines, and components.

A lightweight AR is a pound lighter than a AK. Put another way, a lightweight AR and loaded 30 round magazine weigh as much as an empty AK.

Is a pound of weight all that much? Carry it all day and get back to us.

AK/SKS ammunition is the cheapest and permits the most practice for a given price. I like the AK platform, but it is heavier than the AR platform.

I believe the steel reinforced polymer Bulgarian "waffle" magazines are the "best" based on weight and durability. They won't rust and apart from running a rag through one every so often require no maintenance. If I don't oil blued steel magazines they rust because of the humidity here. You probably won't bend or dent the body of a steel AK magazine, but if you do that magazine becomes trash. The steel magazines definitely work and are the most inexpensive, though.

Use what you like, but realize that weight, balance, and ergonomics mean something if the weapon isn't just for target shooting.

I'd take an AR over an AK anytime an AR was available. Whatever slight durability and reliability advantage the AK has over the AR is not sufficient to make up for the weight and ergonomics disadvantages.

If you buy an AR, buy a quality AR. Colt, BCM, DD, etc...

If you want a battle rifle, look into a M14.

There is no "perfect" rifle or carbine that can do everything. A lightweight AR is a great carbine and so is an AK.

A M14 is a great battle rifle, but it's heavy and more expensive to shoot.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 833 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
The FAL, CETME/HK91, and M14, even in stock form, are pretty heavy rifles.

The CETME and HK91 are simply not ergonomic weapons. I owned a real HK91 and sold it. I'd never buy another one. I'm not that big and the stock was simply too short for me, even the HK21E buttstock I replaced the 91/G3 stock with.

The sighting mechanism of the FAL is not up to par with the M14.

Of the battle rifles mentioned, I like the M14 the best for ergonomics, sight adjustment, and operating mechanism most similar to an AK.

Between the SKS and the AK, I prefer the AK. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about the SKS, I've shot them and a variety of Russian, Chinese, and Bulgarian AK models and apart from the fact that the SKS is cheaper, I would never take a SKS over an AK.

Of all the types mentioned, I prefer the AR carbines for its light weight, ergonomics, aftermarket parts supply, and availability of ammunition, magazines, and components.

A lightweight AR is a pound lighter than a AK. Put another way, a lightweight AR and loaded 30 round magazine weigh as much as an empty AK.

Is a pound of weight all that much? Carry it all day and get back to us.

AK/SKS ammunition is the cheapest and permits the most practice for a given price. I like the AK platform, but it is heavier than the AR platform.

I believe the steel reinforced polymer Bulgarian "waffle" magazines are the "best" based on weight and durability. They won't rust and apart from running a rag through one every so often require no maintenance. If I don't oil blued steel magazines they rust because of the humidity here. You probably won't bend or dent the body of a steel AK magazine, but if you do that magazine becomes trash. The steel magazines definitely work and are the most inexpensive, though.

Use what you like, but realize that weight, balance, and ergonomics mean something if the weapon isn't just for target shooting.

I'd take an AR over an AK anytime an AR was available. Whatever slight durability and reliability advantage the AK has over the AR is not sufficient to make up for the weight and ergonomics disadvantages.

If you buy an AR, buy a quality AR. Colt, BCM, DD, etc...

If you want a battle rifle, look into a M14.

There is no "perfect" rifle or carbine that can do everything. A lightweight AR is a great carbine and so is an AK.

A M14 is a great battle rifle, but it's heavy and more expensive to shoot.
Very well put! I would like to have an M14!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #29

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm a SKS fan myself.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
CHALLANGE ACCEPTED.

http://www.gundigest.com/tactical-gear-articles/tactical-guns/debunked-3-reasons-the-ar-15-isnt-reliable

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/531125_.html

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-23-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Quentin Likes This