**ar sight removal**
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > **ar sight removal**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default **ar sight removal**

Is there a special trick I can use to take out the pins myself? If I have to I may drill or cut, but would rather not if I can get around it. If I drill through the pins will I damage the barrel? If no damage, is that all it needs to slide the sight off? Special tool to use probably? Is my only real option a gunsmith? Because where I live there are no gunsmiths close by. Would like to get the sight off so I can mount my new hand rail, but would like to save the sight if possible. Can I cut (and probably trash) the sight off, without hurting the barrel? And perhaps use a removable sight in its place.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackguns3000 View Post
Is there a special trick I can use to take out the pins myself? If I have to I may drill or cut, but would rather not if I can get around it. If I drill through the pins will I damage the barrel? If no damage, is that all it needs to slide the sight off? Special tool to use probably? Is my only real option a gunsmith? Because where I live there are no gunsmiths close by. Would like to get the sight off so I can mount my new hand rail, but would like to save the sight if possible. Can I cut (and probably trash) the sight off, without hurting the barrel? And perhaps use a removable sight in its place.
I am assuming that you are referring to a standard A2 style sight base...do not damage it in any way, it is also the gas block for your rifle and damage will negatively effect the rifle's operation.

To remove locate the "big" side of the pins, generally the left side when viewing from the rear. The pins are tapered and will only go out right to left. Using a pin punch, dead blow mallet and a vice you should be able to drift the pins out. Bear in mind, however, that some rifles require extreme force to get the damned things out. WD-40 or some other penetrating oil may be helpful, if all else fails have a gunsmith press them out for you. Better to spend a few extra dollars than bend or damage the barrel or receiver. If you have to dremel them out be prepared to reinstall a replacement gas block, low profile for under the foregrip or railed to accept a BUIS. The sight is an option, the gas block is not.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6186380_remove-front-sight-ar_15.html

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 12-25-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Short pin punch (sometimes called a "starter" punch) that is just under
the diameter of the small end of the tapered pins. Sometimes hard to find.
Just cut down a longer one. 3/4" of "skinny" part is plenty.

Barrel in a solid vise works, soft jaws, leather glove, cardboard--something
to keep the jaws from marring the finish. I prefer laying it down on hardwood
blocks so the pins are vertical so I can hit straight down. Dense plastic,
metal with THIN padding---you want it solid, with no cushion.

I prefer a good steel hammer. 3 to 4 lbs, with a fairly flat face.
The short handled type they call a "drilling hammer" is what
I usually reach for.

Get everything supported and lined up, and HIT it. Not a wild over the
head swing, just a short sharp aimed WHACK. I've never had it take
more than maybe 4 whacks to get the pin moving.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

This should make the job easier if you find the pins are stubborn. No cheap but could save you a lot of grief.

AR-15 FRONT SIGHT BENCH BLOCK - Brownells

Edit: OOS

Also a lot of people grind off the sight but leave the gas block intact. Then you can slip a rail over your new low profile gas block and install another sight on the rail.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-25-2011 at 06:10 PM.