Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Question

What does the forward bolt assist do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Assists the bolt going forward.

If the chamber is dirty, or a slightly out of spec case, or if one rides the charging handle forward, one uses it to push the bolt into battery.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default forward assist

The heel of your hand should never contact the forward assist on an AR. It is a forward "assist" not forward force. It is a thumb button only. If you have a dirty chamber, clean it. If you have an out of spec case, get rid of it. I have never allowed any of my AR's to get dirty enough to cause a stoppage. I can shoot 500 or more rounds w/o cleaning and have no probs.

For modern techniques, the FA is best used to lock the bolt closed after a chamber check.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've found it very useful for silently chambering a round. Comes in handy when we get in and out of vehicles while predator calling, etc...