ar dislike! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > ar dislike!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
Oh man, can't we all just get along? (guess not)

OK, been to the range, only two questions right

now:

1.- Do they have smaller aperture ghost rings for the

rear sight?

2. Why does my rifle sound like a pogo-stick?

"BAP-ka-boing, BAP-ka-boing..."
Your recoil spring is in the buttstock right below your ear.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #32

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post

Yep...lol slightly annoying, but if you just resign yourself to the fact that that's the way it sounds, you'll soon get over it.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #33

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
Yeah, thinking it was egregiously filthy, I pulled the buffer tube and

spring for cleaning, only to find they weren't dirty.

I guess I'll know all is right with the world, as long as my

Colt sounds like Tigger...
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have no love or hate of the AR platform and i have owned a couple and currently own one. i don't own it for a SHTF situation, or competition or even hunting. i own it because i want to and it's my right. enuff said for me on the subject.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #35

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Yeah, thinking it was egregiously filthy, I pulled the buffer tube and

spring for cleaning, only to find they weren't dirty.

I guess I'll know all is right with the world, as long as my

Colt sounds like Tigger...
Yeah it won't get too dirty too fast... focus on your bolt and carrier and barrel. And every once in awhile it won't hurt to throw some cleaner in your gas tube. This is one reason I love my ak and FAL. The piston takes the brunt of the carbon residue and the bolt and carrier fall right out without 4 pieces in a special order and no rings to un - align in the rear of the bolt.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #36

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I don't like them either. And, I'll go you one better. I don't even like autoloaders of any kind. I only own and shoot bolt actions and single shots.
ct
Yeah but be honest CT... You stay clear of auto loaders ever since you lost the ability to count past five!

Tack

Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1096 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
You're splitting hairs here.

And really, so what if the direct impingement system operates the "piston"/bolt. You know full well what we're talking about, which is the conventionally accepted DI vs piston operating system.
Trip, yeah I know what you're talking about. It was also conventionally accepted that the earth was flat until the explorers who left the "known world" didn't "fall off the world".

There are, or were, rifles with actual direct gas operating systems. The Stoner pattern AR isn't one of them.

Although the reliability of the AR will always be questioned because of the stupid, but cost-effective, manufacturing choices made in Viet Nam, the modern versions of the Stoner pattern AR rifles and carbines are reliable, effective, and cost-effective to mass produce.

If you lube your rifle or carbine, replace components at or near the design life limits of the respective components and use quality magazines you won't have many problems.

Mike Pannone and a number of other well-known instructors have conducted exhaustive testing of the AR carbines using nothing more than proper lubrication and cheap, filthy ammo. The consensus has been that lubrication and replacement of consumable components make the weapon boringly reliable.

I'm sure the point will be debated ad-nauseum, but I've never had a major problem with my AR's and certainly nothing that was not fixable with remedial action.

To the posters worried about whether or not the weapon could potentially fail or whether or not their weapon makes the right sound or is aesthetically pleasing to them, I think you're worried about the wrong things. I love technology, but apparently some don't.

Whereupon Colt ceases to make properly functioning carbines, MagPul ceases to make properly functioning magazines, and something as common as motor oil is no longer available, I'll start worrying about whether or not my AR will function properly when I need it to.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #38

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Oh man, can't we all just get along? (guess not)

OK, been to the range, only two questions right

now:

1.- Do they have smaller aperture ghost rings for the

rear sight?

2. Why does my rifle sound like a pogo-stick?

"BAP-ka-boing, BAP-ka-boing..."
Ok... I'll admit I laughed outloud the first time I fired the A2 in bootcamp... all that plastic and the "doing!"... after growing up behind a 30-30 and a 30-06... It was pretty funny.

Tack
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #39
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

I haven't liked the AR system since I listened to that spring slinging around in my stock 30 times for the first magazine. And you would think that someone would've invented something to get rid of the sound that makes the AR-15 sound like it was made by Mattel.

HK-91. FN-FAL. M-14. Solid rifles made in a serious caliber, with the benefit that you don't think it'll fall apart if you run too fast. However, it's always a good idea to own the most popular assault rifle owned by everyone else. Good to be familiar and be able to use all the ammo you collect after you drop the zombies at twice the effective distance of their weapon.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1096 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I haven't liked the AR system since I listened to that spring slinging around in my stock 30 times for the first magazine. And you would think that someone would've invented something to get rid of the sound that makes the AR-15 sound like it was made by Mattel.

HK-91. FN-FAL. M-14. Solid rifles made in a serious caliber, with the benefit that you don't think it'll fall apart if you run too fast. However, it's always a good idea to own the most popular assault rifle owned by everyone else. Good to be familiar and be able to use all the ammo you collect after you drop the zombies at twice the effective distance of their weapon.
Someone did invent something to "get rid of that sound". Go Google JP Enterprises. Failing that, you can always record the sound of a "real rifle" and play it during recoil.

There are a lot of "seriously dead" people who were hit with the "not-so-serious" 556 from an AR rifle or carbine. We can question all of them about why their reliable AK's and Mosin Nagant's didn't save them in the next life. Strangely, the Soviets didn't think light caliber ammo or light weight carbines were such bad ideas.