ar dislike!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > ar dislike!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default ar dislike!

Am I the only person that just absolutely hates the ar platform? I have very few things I actually like about it. And to be fair I don't have a complete love for the AK either. I've gotten really into the sig 556. It seems to encompass all the things I like about both platforms into one solid gun.
I love the reliability factor of an AK, the piston is something I really like. But I tend to feel like the controls of the ar are a bit more functional, except for the charging handle design which I absolutely hate. I would much rather reach under and charge the gun, than have to work to the rear and pull directly toward my face, seems more efficient to me and doesn't ever block my view of the threat. One of the other things I prefer of the ar is the standard cartridge used. Not that I hate the 7.62 but the 5.56 is much more manageable and much more accurate in my opinion.
Anyone else feel this way or similar? Anyone feel as though I'm misguided in my opinions of these weapon systems?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

No, your not the only person. I hate them as well. I prefer a good bolt action over the AR or AK.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

cottontop Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

And I know someone will say that the bolt release on an ar is so you don't have to pull the charging handle everytime. In my opinion small manipulation such as that are too complex in a stressful situation and the chances for foul ups are greatly increased. Which is one reason I love that ak's don't have a bolt hold open on the last round, makes every manipulation or malfunction technique the same. And as we all know simplicity always wins over complexity.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13 View Post
No, your not the only person. I hate them as well. I prefer a good bolt action over the AR or AK.
I like a bolt gun, but if you had to choose a small caliber semi auto rifle what would it be? AK or ar? Or perhaps something totally different?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #5

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Nope you're not the only one. I tend to like them. But neither one of us is the only one in either camp.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272 View Post
I like a bolt gun, but if you had to choose a small caliber semi auto rifle what would it be? AK or ar? Or perhaps something totally different?
Probably a mini 14 or mini 30

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I have no REAL love for the AR, but there are some major benefits. For one thing, parts are oozing out of everyone's ass, so to speak. It truly is the Barbie doll for men, it can be accessorized, customized, and modified for any and every situation, circumstance, need, and user. It truly is a "do all", within it's chambering's capabilities. You can go from a PDW suitable for briefcase carry, to a mid range varmint rifle in about 2 seconds flat, either being suitable for a ten year old noob, a 30 year old combat veteran, or a geriatric on vacation from the nursing home.

This also means it can be fixed quick, cheap, and easy, but it's also a pretty durable gun these days. A lot of R&D has gone into them since they were introduced.

But... I haven't jumped on the bandwagon. When it comes to a "battle rifle", I've already decided the M1A is the one for me. Just gotta save up that dough. Here's the kicker: I've never fired one, and only held it once. But it's like the antique double barrel shotgun I just got, when you find something that fits just SO PERFECT, you know it's the one. It's a gun that's almost as customizable as the AR too, with a round I much prefer over the standard .223/5.56. I know the AR10 comes in the same chambering, but the M1A is a freaking glove. AR's have just only ever fit me "good enough", but never perfectly.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #8

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272 View Post
And I know someone will say that the bolt release on an ar is so you don't have to pull the charging handle everytime. In my opinion small manipulation such as that are too complex in a stressful situation and the chances for foul ups are greatly increased. Which is one reason I love that ak's don't have a bolt hold open on the last round, makes every manipulation or malfunction technique the same. And as we all know simplicity always wins over complexity.
That's a great point. When I was serving, my unit was beginning to teach the guys to exclusively use the charging handle just for this purpose. The bolt release was only to be used for COD on the parade field.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #9

Liked 2498 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

In practical terms, I also dislike the AK, and feel an SKS is more

accurate, and better made.

The US doesn't have an inexpensive semi milsurp weapon like the SKS.

But the M1 carbine is epic, and loved by many.

What I specifically dislike about the AR is all the tacti-crap. The

AR-15 which was adopted by the army, as the M-16, is a clean

design, albeit a full size rifle. But it is what it is, and there's

nothing at all wrong with that. A great set of iron sights, a very

functional carry handle, a very accurate platform. More moving

and full maintenance parts than I personally like to see, but

so what? I'm a fussy PITA anyways.

But just try to find a simple, standard M-16 style AR to add to

your milsurp collection. Cheese and rice.

And stop talking about bolt-actions. You're making me drool

all over my keyboard.

Last edited by therewolf; 04-28-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #10

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Yeah. I had the same dilemma. So I bought them both...twice.
Then fell in love with the FAL.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...