AR, AK, how about a third side to this old argument? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

AR, AK, how about a third side to this old argument?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 260 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It debuted in a gun rights poster...

AR, AK, how about a third side to this old argument? - Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion

Took it out more often, and started cooking reloads for it...

AR, AK, how about a third side to this old argument? - Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion

Well, we all start somewhere...then I started playing the AR game...what can I modify on this thing?

Zahal forearm with folding foregrip and C-More red dot. Trust me - the ONE drawback to the vz-58 is the heating issue, as in rapid fire the forearm will get hot. This foregrip made that a non-issue.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #12

Started getting semi-serious, only semi with a C-More...(edit to add, the target below was at 100 yards)

I realized this is not a target rifle, but I can hit "minute of bad guy".

Added a factory folding stock, and a new Blackhawk AK 47 chest rig...just because. Mags fit.

No, no that's not the look...then I came into some unexpected funds...

THAT'S the look! Zahal folding stock with cheek riser and EOTech 512.

Last edited by armoredman; 02-04-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #13

BUT, it has to shoot straight, or it's just a toy. Now remember what I said waaaay back when? I ain't a great rifle shot, but I am trying...

Here I am at 200 yards with the vz-58, seated unsupported - I didn't have a benchrest yet. Note the new Israeli patrol sling. That is a great sling.

OK, not the greatest, BUT I did HIT the guy!

BTW, that's the same B-27 target at 200 yards, for a sense of scale.

Last edited by armoredman; 02-04-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #14

I did try it at 300 yards, much later, in a very stiff wind without bench or rest...all I hit was my new target stand.

It looks like that because the wind was pushing the stand over towards me and the round impacted on the TOP of the leg. I gave up on that for the day, haven't been back yet to try that range again, have to go with someone I trust to watch my stuff while I trudge alla way out there.
Also, bad times happened, and the EOTech is no more, so we are back to the irons...though I might put the C-More back on...if I can find it. If I come into more unexpected funds, (fingers crossed), I will try to aquire an Aimpoint T-1 Micro. (fingers and toes crossed)

I trust it, as it has worked perfectly through various factory and handloads, inlcuding my home cast lead bullet reloads, (though it doesn't like them as well as the CZ 527M does), and it has never jammed or burped on me. With that enormous ejection port, no stovpiepes, ever. It now sports the Niet Arms extended bolt release, Neit ambi extended mag release, (not pictured), US made gas piston and steel trigger from czforum member Obiwanbonjovi, making it 100% 922 complaint for unmodified surplus mags. BTW, Obi's stuff IS marked "made in USA.

A major part of my "bad times" setup. Shown with CZ SP-01 Phantom.

Was that the kind of range report you like?

Last edited by armoredman; 02-04-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Nice! I have a friend with one of those, but I have not fired it. I do love how slim and trim it is, though.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #16

I beats any AK I ever owned all hollow.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, $800ish from Czechpoint or about $400 for a Century build; what is the big difference? I mean, are the Century builds on the level with their WASR's or is it rougher like some CETME's of infamy past?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #18

Some guys say they get just as good with the Century, and it's possible. I bought a Century CETME, worst error I made firearm wise. The WASR we had in the picture was given a Red Star trigger and fixed the canted gas block/front sight before we got it. it was accurate at 50 feet, hopeless at 75 feet.
Century also has thier famous 1 year warrantee, that starts the day it's built. Not the day it's bought, but the day it is built at the factory. I had my CETME a week and tried to send it back, was told it was out of warrantee.
Dan at Czechpoint takes CARE of his customers, above and beyond. The quality of the rifle is excellent, and the support phenomenal.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

that is sweet.