ar or ak? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > ar or ak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

And the m400 enhanced that I have handled felt fairly balanced but everyone is different.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #12

And as for this one I would be looking at 150 yards +/- a few

Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 901

There is nothing an M70 can do for you that an M400 will not. The AR is a superior semiauto. It will likely be easier to shoot accurately in a dynamic drill, more optic friendly off the bench, and easier to modify or upgrade. But then we don't always buy the best car for the money. We often go for what we like, charts and stats be damned. Rationally speaking, a semiauto AK based rifle is a niche product for (some) hunters and collectors.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Liked 492 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I am personally not an AR fan. In fact, I generally prefer the AK platform. However, as Mercator pointed out, the AK platform is more of a niche, no matter how much AK fans would like it to be otherwise.

Here's what most any AR platform gets you - (I can't speak for the SIG specifically)
Easier to modify
Easier to mount optics
Easier maintenance (don't give me the crap about more small parts in the AR. You don't have to take them out to field strip.)
Generally more accurate (YMMV)
More and cheaper magazine options

I've heard the claim that 7.62mm WP is cheaper than 5.56mm NATO. In general, that is true, but actual .223 rounds generally run right about the same prce as the equivalent brand and type as 7.62mm WP. No price advantage to ammo between platforms. Also, with the ammo shortage more or less over, there are tons of .223 rounds on the shelf and a few brands of 7.62mm.

There are very good reasons these weapons are popular. You may get an AK and love it, or you may regret it and wonder what you missed. I may not care much for them, but I recognize them for what they are.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 10-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

If you already have an SKS why get an AK?

Diversify!

One plus to using an AR for home defense is that the .223/5.56 loses a lot of its punch after it goes through a Sheetrock wall. It's actually a better option than most handguns if your worried about your round passing through the BG hitting somebody in the next room.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #16

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm with delta on this one if you already have an sks definitely get an AR....something's telling me you'll end up with both eventually anyway

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #17

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Price wise between the Basic AK and AR your within $100 anyway so take your pick. I own both and I really dont have a favorite . Each has their benefits and down falls . Ammo is roughly the same price in my area , within a penny per round for FMJs . Both are really simple guns . Flip the coin you will eventually own both anyway.
Now saying that Im not a big fan of rifles having proprietary parts like the Piston ARs , if you need parts you may have to wait . DI rifles most any shops carry parts for them

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-16-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I prefer AR over AK.

But I'm not a huge fan of Sig's rifles. They aren't terrible, but there are many options out there that suit me better at the same price.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

I was "raised" up on the AR / M-16 family and carried one for over 20 years. Let us just say that I am burned out on them.

Personally I prefer my (AK) WASR/10. I enjoy the ease of function and reliability. No tiny pieces to get lost when cleaning her.

I believe that it was mentioned earlier on this thread, figure out what you want to do with it, how much you are willing to spend and go from there.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #20

Well I would really like the ar and love the feel and parts selection for them but I used to have a mac-90 and the paps are fairly cheap compared to ar's. Also have a bunch of ammo for the ak. Both do well out to the range I'm looking at. As far as walls go I live out in the country with my closest neighbor a 1/4 mile away or so. And yes I will eventually own both so I guess I will have to flip a coin!