Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR 7.62 Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default It just so happens, that I am in the same process...

of selling off a few of my shooters that have been collecting dust in the old gun safe to finance the purchase of a AR10 and I'm actually looking at a couple of your choices to boot.
1911, I hope u wont mind me chiming in from time to time. I have no intensions of hijacking your thread, and if you would like me to move on I will, no problem.
That being said, one model/manufacturer I am looking at hard and you might want to also, is Black Rain Ordinance.

Specifically the BRO-PG14. Specs are as follows:

Caliber 308
Finish: NORGUARD
Barrel: 18" STD-SMF-MACH
Weight: 8lbs. 13oz.
Stock: BLK MOE
Rail: 12" BLK QUAD
Flash: MACH MFS
Gas/Piston: GAS
Receivers: MILLED
Total Legnth: 37"
Rifling: 1x11
Gas Block: LOW PROFILE
Grip: BLK MIAD
Mag: 20 RND PMAG

I'm just not educated on the gas or piston systems that are out there, other than looking on line. But that can only get a guy so far. I don't know enough people that have ever shot them much less know a whole lot about them.

I'm hoping there are some generous souls out there that wouldn't mind educating a FNG on what to look for and what to stay away from. Any pertinent help would be appreciated.
1911, again thank you in advance for letting me hang around.
Thank you in advance, BT

Edit: LOL I just saw the post before mine, and he brings up Black Rain. I also laid eye's on one at the local Gun shop and the BRO PG-14 is Breathtaking Literally. Never has a firearm taken my breath away but this one did. My LORD, that thing was BADASS !!!

Last edited by Bikertrash58; 05-15-2013 at 05:10 AM. Reason: addition to text.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #22

Liked 632 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

No prob Biker! I appreciate you chiming in bc two heads are usually better than one. I'm a FNG on the AR-10 platform as well. I want to be REALLY sure before I flop down $3-4K on one.

I've been doing research and lots of people are saying go piston bc DI using 7.62 NATO is extremely dirty. I don't know if this is true, but it's what I'm hearing.

So far, I'm still leaning towards the SCAR, followed by the MWS and Repr. I'm going to look at the BRO and the Rock River when I get a chance, but I think they are both DI. I'm still leaning towards piston.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Roger That....

on two heads...especially two FNG's heads...LOL

Ok, back on task, As you may have read above I actually laid "eyes on" a BRO PG-14 and it is Friggin AWESOME !!! but you bring a valid point to the table about the piston/DI debate. That is one thing I haven't really considered.
I was so star struck by holding that sucker. I was lucky to find my way home. Piston/Gas is now added to my things to look at a little more closely.
The rifle "as is" without sights is $2600. It is also, so I've been told, is one of the most accurate AR10's out there. But, I have never seen range "paper work" to prove that.

My son has a SCAR in 5.56 and loves it. But he is even a bigger FNG than I am. He's 26 and got it mainly for the cool factor. But it is battle proven and very accurate.

Anyway, thanks for letting me hang around. BT

Old 05-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 395

If you want an actual 7.62 SHTF battle rifle, you can get a Mosin Nagant, a SAIGA, a SVD, PSL, NDM86 or something similar in .308 or 7.62x54R.

Virtually all western designed battle rifles are more akin to target rifles than battle rifles. Accuracy has always been priority 1 with reliability being priority 2. It's the other way around with the eastern designed battle rifles. In the words of Mikhail Kalashnikov, "All that is complex is not useful and all that is useful is simple."

So, if absolute reliability is priority 1 for you, then realize that absolute reliability wasn't the overriding design criteria for our weapons.

I would think that some thought should be given to the affordability and availability of ammunition. Having a fancy rifle won't help you if you can't afford or acquire enough ammunition to maintain proficiency with it. Hitting quarters at 100 yards from a bench isn't weapons proficiency, it's target practice. With a 7.62x54R rifle or carbine, you could actual train enough to have proficiency with your weapon of choice. If you have enough money, you can become proficient with .308, but it's expensive.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfishjr
Sig 716 is a piston 7.62 battle rifle
I've been looking at the 716 a lot. Seems like a really nice rifle for the money. Does anyone have a review they would like to post? Trying to do some due diligence before I pull the trigger, every pun intended. Thanks in advance

Old 05-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #26

I used to own the SIG 716, quality was good but holy crap was it picky with ammo! Would only cycle properly and consistently with federal premium gold medal match. Which is why I don't own that rifle anymore.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBase View Post
I used to own the SIG 716, quality was good but holy crap was it picky with ammo! Would only cycle properly and consistently with federal premium gold medal match. Which is why I don't own that rifle anymore.
HarryBase,
Thanks for the reply and info. Sorry to hear it wouldn't work well for you. Did you acquire a new rifle in 308? If so, which one and how is it working out?
I do like the fact that the 716 doesn't need proprietary mags and I've been very pleased with another Sig acquisition (a P229 pistol). It has become my favorite pistol.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #28

I loved everything about the rifle, I really didn't want to get rid of it, and have yet to replace it unfortunately. I couldn't afford to shoot it. I do however have a few other SIG products that I absolutely love. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2231 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Just for reference, I edited my past post on this thread and added a picture of the Rock River LAR-08.
It is capable of shooting 1 MOA or "less on occasion" at 100 yards with the 16" Barrel. In addition it has a RRA National Match 2 Stage Trigger which it came standard with. The Scope is a Leupold Model 54912 3.5X10 30MM Illuminated Reticle. I just preferred the full length stock because I also deer hunt with it on occasion and prefer it for hunting.
Just one of many 308/7.62X51 ARs available.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

La Rue Tactical, the only way to go. Pay the cost to be the Boss.