AR 7.62 Battle Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR 7.62 Battle Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default AR 7.62 Battle Rifle

Guys, I'm having a hard time deciding which rifle to save for. My choices so far are HK MR762, SCAR 17S, LMT MWS, LWRC Reper, and LaRue OBR.

I don't know much about any of them so I'm looking for suggestions and pros/cons. If I left a contender off the list, I'd like to hear about it too.

I want an AR pattern rifle with the ability to shoot out to 700-800 yards. It will mainly be used for fun, but I want a battle hardened design that would also be superb for SHTF/EOTWAWKI. I intend to put a top tier long range optic on top and a QD bipod. I live in Florida, so I am in a lot of heat and humidity. I think I want a piston gun bc I've heard DI 7.62s get REALLY dirty really quick.

Thanks for the input and any help you might be able to offer.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7151 Times on 3915 Posts
Likes Given: 14495

Too rich for my blood.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #3

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It's all about how you save brother. I've been selling old non-gun collectibles too to try and make up the difference.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sig 716 is a piston 7.62 battle rifle

Old 05-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Let's see,

HK MR762 - Too muzzle heavy (HK needs to put that stupid half-machined chunk of aluminum on a diet), too damn heavy (the barrel is industrial grade), requires a takedown tool (dumb), uses proprietary magazines (dumb) and has proprietary small parts that you'll have to buy after you buy the carbine (to me, a 16" barrel loses some of its appeal after you deal with the blast for awhile). I just don't like the stock on it at all (can't cant without unlocking the butt pad), but some of my friends like it. It's an external piston gun, which is what you said you wanted. I do like the fact that checking the mag is easy.

SCAR 17S - Love the weight, magazines are now available even if they are proprietary, and you can purchase an aluminum (magnesium now, too, that's within 2 OZ of the plastic lower or so) lower that can use PMAG's with. Overall, great gun, but it's expensive and if one of the small parts breaks or is lost... Granted, that might change in the future.

LMT MWS - No experience

LWRC Reper - No experience

LaRue OBR - No experience, but I've never had a problem or complaint with anything I've purchased from them.

I've decided I'm gonna nab a SR 25 and sell my SCAR because I want something with parts and magazine availability and I'm not paying the tariff for a SCAR or specialized mag (like the steel ones that come with the SR25).

The SCAR has AK-like recoil, is freaking loud because of the comp, and has a carbine length barrel. Supposedly FNH is going to import some 20" barrels, but I'm not going to waste my time or hold my breath.

Lastly, while an AR may not be as reliable as an AK, why would you select any of those rifles if absolute reliability was important to you? Why not get a converted, heavy barrel SAIGA or a "guerrilla sniper rifle" from an outfit like Rifle Dynamics? It's sure to be more affordable and use more affordable ammunition.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #6

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Damn, your budget must be sick! The missus would never let me budget for an SCAR. Once in a blue moon i make a "poor judgement call" and end up in the $1200 range with a toy, but she hoses my ass for a month. Lucky dog....

Why are these the guns on your list? What is it you are trying to accomplish at 700+ yards?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

On that note, why are you trying to purchase a $3000-$5000 dollar solution to a $1500 problem, apart from just having a fun range toy to play with?

I can't say I'm not guilty of the same thing, because last month I purchased a $4500 SEI M14, but seriously why? I've heard the OBR is capable of making the shot, but aren't there cheaper solutions to the problem, like a Remington 700? If you're on any sort of budget a 700P is hard to beat.

I would dump money into optics, if you don't already have quality glass, long before I'd blow cash on a fancy rifle (so says the man that just purchased a SSG 69 today).

My wife says I have too many toys, but she has lots of toys of her own.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

got a scar17 totally love it. shot 3 deer with it back in december.

parts are hard to get for any 7.62 ar10 or any semi auto 308 so dont let that bug ya if your going that route.

i cant think of a single negative issue with the scar 17

here is mine with various accessories

this is 100 yards with sierra smk 168 bthp top hole is actually 3 shots bottom two i was doing sight in and moving the poi up with scope adjustments.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Jon, did you replace the PWS with a SureFire comp or flash suppressor. If you have a SureFire flash suppressor, what's the recoil like without a comp?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

yeah its got a surefire flash suppressor now. i cant really tell much of a difference other than its pleasent to shoot now. not a fan of muzzle brakes.

if you decide to go that route, surefire has a special scar17 flash suppressor that isnt listed on their order page. they will ship you one if you order over the phone.

with flash suppressor and suppressed

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-07-2013 at 03:32 AM.