Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Question for the SURs users

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 Question for the SURs users

I'm just a bit confused about the AR-15. Is it the same AR-15 that is made to be a modified SAW AR in a m16 body casing, or is it a different type of rifle all together. Is it the same and its just set to semi-auto for civilians?

AR-15 Saw upgrade.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

That is simply a different caliber AR. I don't know where "SAW" comes into this scenario. The 6.5 Grendel is a larger diameter round for the M-16/AR-15 platform. The M-249 SAW could theoretically be set up for this caliber as well. It would require new metal links and considerable reworking of the action. I believe the Grendel uses a bolt for the 7.62X39 round.

The comparison on the pepper poppers is not quite fair as the M-4 hits were lower that the other two calibers. Low hits equal less leverage to knock down the popper.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
That is simply a different caliber AR. I don't know where "SAW" comes into this scenario. The 6.5 Grendel is a larger diameter round for the M-16/AR-15 platform. The M-249 SAW could theoretically be set up for this caliber as well. It would require new metal links and considerable reworking of the action. I believe the Grendel uses a bolt for the 7.62X39 round.

The comparison on the pepper poppers is not quite fair as the M-4 hits were lower that the other two calibers. Low hits equal less leverage to knock down the popper.

The comparison to the saw was earlier in that episode, something about soldiers (AHEM) and Marines! getting the round belt caught and dettached. So theyre equiping them with the Grendel which has the same stopping power as the saw. Also less over heating so less chance of rounds going off accidently. I just wasnt sure if its the same one you guys have on this forum. I think that Seal was commissioned by colt to sell some AR-15's, so he messed up the shots.