AR-10 vs. m14/socom 16
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-10 vs. m14/socom 16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-10 vs. m14/socom 16

My brother thinks i should get a AR-10 because its more versatile but i like the m14 style of weapons. so what do you guys think for a apocalypse situation which one is better to have and the price limit is 1600 dollars.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

my opinion is get the rifle you really want. getting what i like or what your friend likes is going to mean your going to shoot less be less happy with what you bought and come to dislike your friend for influencing your choice of what you want.

if you really think the world is going to end i would strongly suggest seeking professional medical help.

your personal weapon is not going to win world war 4 or defeat the space ninja zombie army sent by kim jong un from north korea...

i prefer seeing you here posting about how much fun your having rather than sitting in a bunker with reynolds wrap on your head. any modern firearm that functions well you know how to use will get you through any foreseeable realistic emergency situation.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 12-28-2014 at 02:24 AM.
People Like This 
Old 12-29-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 703 Times on 467 Posts

I'd grab the AR10 for its versatility, but like Jon said, if you really love M14's then grab that and shoot the snot out of it. Daryl defeats zombies and bad guys with a bow, so with practice you'll be good with any rifle you love.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #4

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911beast View Post
My brother thinks i should get a AR-10 because its more versatile but i like the m14 style of weapons. so what do you guys think for a apocalypse situation which one is better to have and the price limit is 1600 dollars.
With your price range, you have 2 options as I see it: A new .308 AR can be had for about 1200 to 1400 bucks, which will leave you a bit of change for ammo, or you can look online for deals for an M14, but be patient. Or get a used M14. If you get an AR type, I suggest you get one that is DPMS cut, as more accessories are available vs. a Armalite or other brand proprietary cut AR.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
With your price range, you have 2 options as I see it: A new .308 AR can be had for about 1200 to 1400 bucks, which will leave you a bit of change for ammo, or you can look online for deals for an M14, but be patient. Or get a used M14. If you get an AR type, I suggest you get one that is DPMS cut, as more accessories are available vs. a Armalite or other brand proprietary cut AR.
The important part is the magazine style. With ar10 you want a sr25 pattern. Any accessory will have to be confirmed to whatever you get with a ar10. Pain in the boottocks. If it doesn't connect to a rail directly you need to confirm it works with whatever gun you got.

Ar10 are not the plug and play lego set that ar15 are.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The important part is the magazine style. With ar10 you want a sr25 pattern. Any accessory will have to be confirmed to whatever you get with a ar10. Pain in the boottocks. If it doesn't connect to a rail directly you need to confirm it works with whatever gun you got.

Ar10 are not the plug and play lego set that ar15 are.
Totally agree on that last statement. That is why I suggested DPMS cut. More manufacturers go with that format than Armalite AR10. I have a chart somewhere of .308 AR's compatibility, and DPMS cut leaves the nearest runners up behind, not that I am a big fan of DPMS, but the smaller companies and accessory manufacturers have settled on DPMS.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Totally agree on that last statement. That is why I suggested DPMS cut. More manufacturers go with that format than Armalite AR10. I have a chart somewhere of .308 AR's compatibility, and DPMS cut leaves the nearest runners up behind, not that I am a big fan of DPMS, but the smaller companies and accessory manufacturers have settled on DPMS.
The only non dpms style i would consider is the rra ar10. It uses unmodified m1a mags