Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Are all automatic rifles banned in the US?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

First, machine guns (any gun that fires more than I cartridge with one pull of the trigger) are regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act. They are legal to own in 39 states. In those states, if you meet the requirements to own a .22 pistol, you meet the requirements to own an M16 or an M60 belt fed.

What will a law say that has not been drafted, not been thru the 3 readings required under law, not been considered in committee, not been amended and not voted on- DO?

I have a better chance of giving you the Pick 3 lottery numbers for tomorrow.

Couple of tidbits for you, tho- Tri-burst is in the same legal category as a belt fed MG- they are both machine guns as defined in Federal law. and the price of a LEGAL, TRANSFERABLE full auto will make you weep- since ONLY those guns ALREADY registered by May 1986 can be transferred.

A legal, full auto M16 that can be transferred to a private citizen is about $20,000. Yes, I DID mean to type that many zeros. Got yer checkbook handy?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #12

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 10

my ? is what do they consider a ASSULT weapen? fully auto or semi auto matics like .223s?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

When politicians are taking about an ASSAULT WEAPON- they mean a semi-auto rifle that is black.

I did not say they were correct. I did not say they were honest. I did not say they were smart.

If you are asking a gun history buff, it is a rifle firing an intermediate power cartridge, capable of semi or full auto fire, intended to be fired from the shoulder. Started with the the German Sturmgewehr in WW 2. Included the AK47 and the M16.

If you ask Nancy Grace, it is one of those long black guns you stick clips into to hold bullets.

I did not say she was smart, either.

I have seen all sorts of really stupid attempts to define something on the basis of how it looks- not how it works. Pistol grips and bayonet lugs seem to be especially evil.

Serious gun owners refer to them as Sport Utility Rifles

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #14

Liked 252 Times on 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
When politicians are taking about an ASSAULT WEAPON- they mean a semi-auto rifle that is black.

Pink = Not an assault rifle

Name:  ForumRunner_20130117_195330.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  29.9 KB

Black = assault rife

Name:  Black-Ops-Weapons-AR15.jpeg
Views: 523
Size:  7.4 KB

Hehe
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
I had to get some of that for my Concealed Weapons Permit here in Washington State, so I assume I'd be ok.

Thanks for the reply.
I don't think so. You may have gone through a background check and had finger prints taken, but for CCW it's not federal , it's usually at the state level. I may be wrong...
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

The definition of an assault rifle is "any rifle capable of select fire between semi automatic and full auto or burst fire."
The popular definition used today by the media, politician and other assorted idiots is; "that scary looking rifle I see in all those movies."

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4558 Times on 2290 Posts
Likes Given: 4701

Question was are they illegal, answer is, better check your daily newspaper cause even if they are today, they likely wont be tomorrow! I live in New York, I ought to Know! Doesnt effect me that much, Ive had plenty of auto fire fun from small to large caliber but that went along with Being Anti Armor Infantry, all I remember is the mess they are to clean up after smoking them.

It just seems crazy that our government would deny every American that does not serve in the military or even those of us that have been their hired guns the chance or right to own and fire these unless we are rich and certifiable. Thats a travesty in itself and would have every one of the signers of our Constitution spitting blood if they saw what these people have done to our BOR's!

I just decided I wont watch any more of the gun shop, dealer shows that sell these $20-$100K MG's to rich folk anymore. I just cant stomach the hypocrisy...

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 01-18-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

you can thank ronnie reagan for banning full auto new production. before 1986 it was only an extra 200$ for a full auto firearm. ronnie took a huge violent dhiarrea dump straight from his blackened soul on the constitution.

far as im concerned reagan was a worse president than obama simply because of his unconstitutional banning of firearms

if you havent figured it out i despise reagan

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #19

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
I see. I'm not really interested in one, but am curious. I could see wanting to be able to switch between say 1 and 3 shot bursts, but full auto - not sure I'd wanna mess with that.

I suppose it's the same thing as a silencer. Some states may allow them but the hoops might be a serious impediment.

Does the type of full-auto weapons allowed vary from state to state?

Thanks
Many full auto weapons can be produced quite cheaply. These lower quality pieces have simpler trigger mechanisms. That's right. It requires a trick of engineering to make a gun semi instead of full auto. On the whole though, there is little difference in the production cost of full auto or semi auto guns. The issue in the States is supply.

The owning of full auto guns is completely legal if you pay a tax. But the manufacture is not. So the market supply of full auto guns is the same or smaller than it was in 1986. The demand is huge, the supply is small. Do the math.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe

I don't think so. You may have gone through a background check and had finger prints taken, but for CCW it's not federal , it's usually at the state level. I may be wrong...
The background check is similar. If you are a felon from Montana living in Arkansas applying for a permit that's how they know.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr