Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Are all automatic rifles banned in the US? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/all-automatic-rifles-banned-us-81656/)

SubZero 01-17-2013 08:59 PM

Are all automatic rifles banned in the US?

I was reading about the proposed "assault weapons" ban and there seems to be some confusion about full auto vs semi auto and what is actually an assault weapon - at least in some of the articles I've been reading vs information pages I've been reading.

It got me wondering - are all automatic rifles banned in the US currently?

Thanks

jjfuller1 01-17-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubZero (Post 1098148)
I was reading about the proposed "assault weapons" ban and there seems to be some confusion about full auto vs semi auto and what is actually an assault weapon - at least in some of the articles I've been reading vs information pages I've been reading.

It got me wondering - are all automatic rifles banned in the US currently?

Thanks

no. some states aloow them. you have to go through lots of hoops to get the right licenses and permits. the real problem is how to afford them. most full auto guns cost as much as a car. some as much as a house.... and talk about ammo usage. hehehehe

SubZero 01-17-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 1098165)
no. some states aloow them. you have to go through lots of hoops to get the right licenses and permits. the real problem is how to afford them. most full auto guns cost as much as a car. some as much as a house.... and talk about ammo usage. hehehehe

I see. I'm not really interested in one, but am curious. I could see wanting to be able to switch between say 1 and 3 shot bursts, but full auto - not sure I'd wanna mess with that.

I suppose it's the same thing as a silencer. Some states may allow them but the hoops might be a serious impediment.

Does the type of full-auto weapons allowed vary from state to state?

Thanks

drvsafe 01-17-2013 09:14 PM

It's an FBI background check and finger printing as well as a specific type of permit as well as the state you live in allowing for them first. Then you have to pay a fee for the tax stamp to own it like $200 bucks. Then you can buy an automatic weapon. And get ready trying to find one because its not like they make them available like semi autos. They have a registry for them and they are quite expensive.

SubZero 01-17-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 1098180)
It's an FBI background check and finger printing as well as a specific type of permit as well as the state you live in allowing for them first. Then you have to pay a fee for the tax stamp to own it like $200 bucks. Then you can buy an automatic weapon. And get ready trying to find one because its not like they make them available like semi autos. They have a registry for them and they are quite expensive.

I had to get some of that for my Concealed Weapons Permit here in Washington State, so I assume I'd be ok.

Thanks for the reply.

jjfuller1 01-17-2013 09:38 PM

http://youtu.be/uCppmoZiXUY
places like arizona ;)

hiwall 01-17-2013 09:42 PM

You gotta love Arizona!!!

eldarbeast 01-17-2013 09:52 PM

Thirty nine states currently allow private ownership of Fully Automatic Firearms.

There are approximately 200,000 listed fully automatic weapons available for ownership today.

Thirty two states currently allow ownership of sound suppression systems.

eldar

SubZero 01-17-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldarbeast (Post 1098234)
Thirty nine states currently allow private ownership of Fully Automatic Firearms.

Thirty two states currently allow ownership of sound suppression systems.

eldar

That's pretty great news! There's no ban on full-auto rifles? Or would those be included in the proposed Obama regulations?

Thanks

eldarbeast 01-17-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubZero (Post 1098236)
That's pretty great news! There's no ban on full-auto rifles? Or would those be included in the proposed Obama regulations?

Thanks

If Obama had his way NONE of us would be allowed any weapon of any type, irregardless of what he says to the public.

We would all be his subjects. Bet on it!

eldar