AK vs. AR (and all the possibilities) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK vs. AR (and all the possibilities)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonjames View Post
... I would appreciate anyone's input on availability and cost to help me decide which is best. OR should I just hedge and try to purchase more than one rifle to follow a changing supply/demand.

What do you folks think?

Honestly it's not a bad idea to have both the AR and AK. I'm committed to the AR but have to say it's fun to take out my AK once in a while.

Also it's smart to be knowledgeable with both platforms since 5.56/.223 and 7.62x39 are commonplace and relatively the same cost for steelcase. It doesn't have to be "either or". If not, try to handle and shoot both platforms and buy the one you prefer.

As far as AK magazines, I bought my AK over 5 years ago so like SSGN_Doc stocked up on cheap surplus magazines over the years. I haven't checked lately what AK mags cost but if any lightweight mags are reliable I'd like to try a couple. The good things about steel AK mags are reliability and toughness, the bad thing is weight (about a pound more than an AR mag).

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 15

There are also a number of rifles that use the same AK-style action that are built for better precision. The Galil, Sig 556 ( in 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308), and Valmet, for example.

Very reliable, good precision...(higher cost, of course)

Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Ak's are historically famous for its reliability. You can bury one in mud, water, sand, or 'garbage of sorts' for days, pick it up and begin shooting without mishap.
That's reliability! With a 75 rd Chinese drum attached to its mag well it becomes a 'street-sweeper' in any shtf scenario close to home. AR's are known
for its accuracy via long distance, and also for its availability for 'window dressing.'

Last edited by PanBaccha; 11-19-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha
Ak's are historically famous for its reliability. You can bury one in mud, water, sand, or 'garbage of sorts' for days, pick it up and begin shooting without mishap.
That's reliability! With a 75 rd Chinese drum attached to its mag well it becomes a 'street-sweeper' in any shtf scenario close to home.
I would also argue that an AR can be built to withstand the same. Just an opinion, but I give my AR's hell. Probably more than I should given what they cost. I've had my throw around rifle in mud, water, dirt, sand, etc. and she has never failed in any way. I do always try to clean her up afterwards though.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #15

Liked 4161 Times on 2039 Posts
Likes Given: 806

What kind of home defense are you talking about? EOTWAWKI?... Or daily just in case? If its the latter, get an 870 express with wood furniture and learn to use it.

Lord knows, I'd hate to have to explain my actions to the police and DA, when they're holding up my Bin Laden looking AK, or Aurora movie theater looking AR.

That's the reality of it if you take a life to defend yours. You will have to explain your actions.
I'd rather say someone broke in so I grabbed my ol' duck gun to save my life.

None of this applies if you live in Texas. Get a bazooka.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #16

Likes Given: 7

Lol. Appreciate the thoughts fellows.

Yes the 870 is a great thought. Thought about that as well. I guess I have decided pretty much to get acquainted with all and maybe purchase all to have several platforms available.

Never know what the future may bring.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #17

Likes Given: 7

Different subject I suppose, but what do you folks think about the colt le6920s that Walmart sells?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #18

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonjames View Post
Different subject I suppose, but what do you folks think about the colt le6920s that Walmart sells?
Great choice!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What is EOTWAWKI?

Last edited by WhaleNoises; 11-25-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Honestly it's not a bad idea to have both the AR and AK. I'm committed to the AR but have to say it's fun to take out my AK once in a while.

Also it's smart to be knowledgeable with both platforms since 5.56/.223 and 7.62x39 are commonplace and relatively the same cost for steelcase. It doesn't have to be "either or". If not, try to handle and shoot both platforms and buy the one you prefer.

As far as AK magazines, I bought my AK over 5 years ago so like SSGN_Doc stocked up on cheap surplus magazines over the years. I haven't checked lately what AK mags cost but if any lightweight mags are reliable I'd like to try a couple. The good things about steel AK mags are reliability and toughness, the bad thing is weight (about a pound more than an AR mag).
This is the same question I asked myself, and I came to the same conclusion that Quentin came to. I had the same problem with hand guns as well. Glock is like the AK of the hand gun world, but im not a fanboy. I ended up getting the Glock for use as a tool, I carry a Glock. when I go shooting I shoot my Sig more for fun. With AR vs AK, I like the AR more, but the AK is still accurate up to 300 yards or so with iron sights in my opinion. If im shooting more then 300 yards I might as well be using my R700 in .308. So I shoot my AR for fun and my AK is a tool I keep with my year food supply.