AK or AR - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK or AR

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Since your already familiar with the AR platform, stick with it. The AK is reliable, true, but that's the only plus on my book. The AR is more precise, modular and more easily adapted to mission-specific gear, and despite what everyone loves to say (most being armchair quarterbacks or know it all mall ninjas) the 5.56 is an excellent round. It's the same as people comparing the 45acp to the 9mm, making it sound like the 9 couldn't do the job but the 45 only takes one shot. 5.56 is an excellent round, there is no such think as "knock down" power, it's all about shot placement.... And I feel that the AR could place the shot better than the AK, especially since you are so well versed with it. Go with the AR.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #12

get a WASR 10/63 like i did. some are hit and miss but the one i got is 100% dead on. $500 for it

Old 03-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #13

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_
Since your already familiar with the AR platform, stick with it. The AK is reliable, true, but that's the only plus on my book. The AR is more precise, modular and more easily adapted to mission-specific gear, and despite what everyone loves to say (most being armchair quarterbacks or know it all mall ninjas) the 5.56 is an excellent round. It's the same as people comparing the 45acp to the 9mm, making it sound like the 9 couldn't do the job but the 45 only takes one shot. 5.56 is an excellent round, there is no such think as "knock down" power, it's all about shot placement.... And I feel that the AR could place the shot better than the AK, especially since you are so well versed with it. Go with the AR.
I think your claim about there being no such thing as knock-down power only applies to handguns,which don't reach sufficient velocities to achieve hydrostatic shock. Rifle loads do and I think this is really what so called "knockdown power" is,when hydrostatic shock and the larger permanent wound channels that come with are factored in I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to assume that a rifle load can put someone down with less than great shot-placement. Even if you don't hit any Big vitals if you put a big high velocity rifle bullet in someone the hydrostatic shock and the really big temporary wound channel could very well bring someone down.

That's just my opinion though,don't have any fancy data to back any of it up. But seeing the temporary channels rifle cartridges can make in ballistic gel I think that all that going on in someone paired with the high ft/lbs of energy delivered could probably put them on their ass if they were even the slightest bit off balance.

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 211 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Get AR first.. as you are more familiar. Then get AK whenever u have more funds. I prefer AR than AK.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #15

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Get a mini 30, it's what would happen if an AR and a AK had a baby..

Old 03-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

ARs are faster, lighter, more accurate, more adaptable, have better ergonomics, etc.

If you are interested in the x39s characteristics but want an AR look into the .300 BLK. The round has similar characteristics as the x39 in an AR and uses all 5.56 parts except the barrel.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #17

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
ARs are faster, lighter, more accurate, more adaptable, have better ergonomics, etc.

If you are interested in the x39s characteristics but want an AR look into the .300 BLK. The round has similar characteristics as the x39 in an AR and uses all 5.56 parts except the barrel.
Except the damn ammo is expensive and hard to find..

.223 and x39 is cheap

Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

Not saying your bashing the ak or anything,because your not.but I'd give it a bit more credit than a spray and pray gun. It'll hit man sized targets out past 125 yards all day you just wont be stacking bullets or anything,and I'm sure 1940's Germans would disagree that soldiers of the red army couldn't shoot on target. Russian snipers killed almost more enemy than all other snipers combined IIRC. Although they weren't using an AK to do it lol

---Shoot To Thrill---
That was the snipers usually equipped with a mosin not the ak though. I like the AK I have and gave it credit out to 125yds but I also know I just dropped two yotes at 299&317yds respectively with my "budget" AR. As far as a spay and pray gun I swear thats why the gun was invented, however that bring said does anyone know if the AR EVER passed arctic testing...

Old 03-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #19

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

My buddy has a AK I have a couple ARs, after shooting the AR he has finally brought himself to building him a AR. the AK is fun and it would surprise me if you could ever get it to jam , but precision shooting is not its thing I was good with it out to about 150 yards , Im alot more comfortable shooting the AR out to 300-400 and hit what Im aiming at . Really its a toss up but if your looking for more lead I also would go with the AR .300 blk , 300 is about its max but its still accurate out that far
I would like to own a AK but I still have 2 more lowers to build before I go down that road

Last edited by purehavoc; 03-31-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
Except the damn ammo is expensive and hard to find..

.223 and x39 is cheap
Not true at all in fact .300 BLK factory new brass ammunition is cheaper than even WalMart white box stuff and even the cheap .300BLK is made from much better parts like bullet and case. .300BLK has a much better selection of ammunition as well. Everything from purpose built sub-sonics to barrier blind super-sonics and specialy designed hunting rounds.

The ammunition is not hard to find you just have to look. The biggest on-line retailers all carry it.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Closed Thread