Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK or AR

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AK or AR

ok i have been in the military for almost a handful of years now. i have been shooting before but never got the chance to own and because of my situation with the military style living i have not been able to own since joining. I am about to re-up i wanna take some of my bonus to but an AR (cuz thats what ive been shooting) im comfortable with it, i know the weapon, i can hit a target from 500yds with iron sights (you should be able to guess the service, haha) however i hear so much about AKs. whats going to be my best option?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Right now, I would have to say AR. That's where you are the most familiar and proficient. I am sure you have limited funds and can't do both, so go with the one you know, for now.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman View Post
i can hit a target from 500yds with iron sights (you should be able to guess the service, haha) however i hear so much about AKs. whats going to be my best option?

ok Devil Dog ... sounds to me you've already made up your mind. But if not and you take a look at AKs, check out the 74, a real sweet shooter.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Yea of you have training on the AR I would say that's your best option.

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Here we go again...Get both. Start with the AR and get an AK. They are only 4-500 bucks.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #6

Oorah! Ok killer first off semper fi. Second I love ARs but have one AK. The 7.62x39 round has far superior Knock down/hydrostatic shock value however the ballistics are basically linear to that of a 30-30. With the Ak you also have to look at why it was built, bc soldiers of the red army could not effectively shoot on target while in combat this(the Ak) allowed a spray and pray. However the AR as you already know is a highly effective rifle out to longer distances. AK=125yrds AR=550yrds(point target) someone's going to quote this and yell how I'm bad mouthing the AK, let me assure you I'm not, I own one, I'm simply giving you facts. Plus after you've had that rifle shot at you you gain a respect for it. You've been living in the barracks, huh? Go with the AR, in my opinion, I shoot mine in alit more volume than I do the AK plus it was nice to go to the range a week before qual and get practice in. however which ever you choose I'm sure you'll be happy with, semper fi Marine.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenson07
With the Ak you also have to look at why it was built, bc soldiers of the red army could not effectively shoot on target while in combat this(the Ak) allowed a spray and pray.

Not saying your bashing the ak or anything,because your not.but I'd give it a bit more credit than a spray and pray gun. It'll hit man sized targets out past 125 yards all day you just wont be stacking bullets or anything,and I'm sure 1940's Germans would disagree that soldiers of the red army couldn't shoot on target. Russian snipers killed almost more enemy than all other snipers combined IIRC. Although they weren't using an AK to do it lol

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #8

Liked 946 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 940

I'd get both, a cheap AK and a quality AR. In fact that's exactly what I did.

If you can't pull that off, how about a $400 AK and a stripped AR lower since you know the AR and could do a bang up custom build. Just don't buy any old cheap AR. The AK isn't necessary but I bet you'll be glad you got one, even a WASR 10 like mine.

Thank you for your service to our country, militaryman!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What about an AR in a different caliber, like .308? The complaints i hear about the AR are the small size of the projectile and the incompatibility with cheap dirty ammo. Get a big AR & buy decent ammo.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Prom queen or school slut....take ur pick.

jk, in all seriousness, if you are a more precision oriented shooter and love to tinker and modify your guns. AR. If you want something that shoots cheap ammo, aren't into shooting over 200 yards, AK would probably be a better fit.

Closed Thread