Ak-47 or Ar15 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Ak-47 or Ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahh but with a 69gr. Sierra HPBT travelling at 3000 fps. I can make a mess of internal organs or make a head explode like a water balloon...with one shot

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-01-2009, 02:57 AM   #42

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Minute of bad guy at 300-600m with every shot.
Maybe you have a super-AK, but I'd like to see someone hit anyone at 300m with an AK...maybe the broad side of a barn, but not a body, and certainly not with every shot. That would be a challenge even for an SKS, which is by far more accurate than any AK.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-01-2009 at 03:07 AM.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #43

Ive hit 'minute of barn' with the SLR a few times but honestly...its not a 300-600M weapon.Actually hitting out and maybe 'surrounding the target' with 39 rounds still seems to be a stretch.

Heres the SLR...

SLR-107CR

For distance fire I prefer a 308...even a 223.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #44

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntotinguy View Post
Ive hit 'minute of barn' with the SLR a few times but honestly...its not a 300-600M weapon.Actually hitting out and maybe 'surrounding the target' with 39 rounds still seems to be a stretch.

Heres the SLR...

SLR-107CR

For distance fire I prefer a 308...even a 223.
Nice looking gun Guntotin! That's not your typical $399 AK is it?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #45

I own one of each and, believe it or not, my AK actually stopped running because of trash in the bolt. Never had any problem with the AR at all. Neither is my go to gun because I have the best of both worlds, a Robinson Armament XCR. Anyone who says a .223 round is not effective has never seen the results of a 60 gr Hornady V-max. Nasty.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #46

I prefer the AR-10

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington

Old 05-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #47

I think it was American Rifleman who did a comparison of the M4 and AK-47. The M4 won because of accuracy, lightweight, and its ability to take accessories, such as scopes, flashlights, bayonets, grenade launchers, etc. They quoted "With the AK, you could probably hit the broad side of a barn if you were standing inside of it."

Old 05-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post
Depends on the needs, I suppose. If you need something that will always go boom when you pull the trigger, get an AK. If you need something more accurate, get an AR. Or if you're a real gun nut, get both
Buy both! That way you can use the ammo you pick up from the guys you just shot!

I have an Oly Arms and put a TNW gas piston conversion on it ($250) - was getting too much gas and carbon in the face when I had my AAC M4-1000 suppressor on. The conversion runs just fine, and everything is a LOT cleaner! Took about 1/2 hour to make the switch, even after screwing it up once (left out some spacers).

I think about it in terms of "The End of the World" issues. Have the M4-1000 on my Oly to take out any bad folks at a good distance, and the suppressor will make it a bit harder for them to locate me. If they come at me in force, I'll pick up the AK and let loose. That should keep their heads down, and the round should knock down folks with body armor harder than the 5.56. I have the 18" Mossberg 500 with some nasty specialized rounds if they get inside, along with my S&W M&P 40 and S&W 850 w/ Crimson Trace. Something for everyone!

If, OTOH, you're just looking for something to shoot, I'd go with the AR. The variety and quality makes it easy to customize. Ammo IS expensive, but spend another $200 and get the .22LR conversion. Plink away all day!

Finally, I think the sheeple would be more concerned seeing you walking around with an AK in hand than a nicely tricked-out AR. For the sheeple, AK=terrorist.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #49

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
Buy both! That way you can use the ammo you pick up from the guys you just shot!

I think about it in terms of "The End of the World" issues. Have the M4-1000 on my Oly to take out any bad folks at a good distance, and the suppressor will make it a bit harder for them to locate me. If they come at me in force, I'll pick up the AK and let loose. That should keep their heads down, and the round should knock down folks with body armor harder than the 5.56. I have the 18" Mossberg 500 with some nasty specialized rounds if they get inside, along with my S&W M&P 40 and S&W 850 w/ Crimson Trace. Something for everyone!

If, OTOH, you're just looking for something to shoot, I'd go with the AR. The variety and quality makes it easy to customize. Ammo IS expensive, but spend another $200 and get the .22LR conversion. Plink away all day!

Finally, I think the sheeple would be more concerned seeing you walking around with an AK in hand than a nicely tricked-out AR. For the sheeple, AK=terrorist.
Amazing, my thoughts to your keyboard.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”