Ak-47 or Ar15 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

Ak-47 or Ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
sgtdeath66 posted:

I wish I had pictures of how dirty/muddy/cruddy my M4 was on several occasions...lol. I'll trust my life to my M4 any day without second thought.
Plus one on that. SeALs ROUTINELY take their M4's underwater and come out ready to rock with nothing more than a barrel cover and closed ejection port - and that's salt water, one of the more corrosive elements on the planet.

I always love the "The AR is such a high maintanence" posts - it always goes right to the root of the prejudice...

Look Kalashnikov's design is brilliantly simple, he was a tank mechanic for crying out loud, but his design isn't the end all beat all.

It fires a heavier round - but the round isn't more accurate, neither is the weapon.

You also have to figure in that civilians can load and shoot hollow points or ballistic tips in their AR's - something not allowed for the military under the Hague.

The import ammo business is going to get harder to pull off here shortly, so ammo is going to get more difficult to find. Until the Red Army invades, then the sh!t will be all over the battlefield.

Get one of both, that way no matter what force you go up against ( foreign of domestic ) you will be able to get ammo and parts off the battlefield...

JD

Old 03-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #32

The Military channel has a show about the 10 best combat rifles that aired last year. It ranked the M14 10th , the M16 2nd, and the AK-47 1st.

I like to buy American so I use a Mini-14, and want to buy a M1 (M14) some day when I can afford it.

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles & Mini Thirty Rifles*Autoloading*Rifle (M-14/20CF) Overview

Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Where do people get the idea that an AR rifle is hard to maintain and keep running in the elements.

I've put thousands and thousands of combined M855 ball, tracers, and blanks through my issue M4, and I have yet to experience a noteable malfunction (If I remember there was about 2 times that I had to run a SPORTS drill on it, and both of those times were with the blank rounds, which are crappy at best). All I did was periodically squirt some CLP on the bolt every 1500 rounds or so and it ran just fine.

Heck, my weapon has been so freakin dirty inside that I could literally scoop out the black gunk when I got around to giving it a clean up. There's nothing special about my M4 either. It's a standard, run of the mill, Colt made M4 rifle (generic issue).

BTW, this is during my unit exercises. We tend to eat up alot of ammo. For our next exercise we have around 50,000-70,000 rounds planned (tons of fun).
+1000 - This is the same experience me and many others have had. The whole "reliability" issue is complete BS, especially for AR-15's. The only time reliability becomes an issue is when you are using a full-auto or burst equipped M-16 or M-4. It's the cyclic rate that determines reliability, functionality, and how quickly the weapon is returned to the armorer. In real (civilian) life, reliability issues do not exist for AR-15's. My brother has had an original Colt since 1975 and has never cleaned the gas tube. The old adage "I can throw my AK in the mud and have it fire" just shows the mentality of the people that propogate reliability rumors....anyone that exposes their weapon to such conditions deserves to be shot with it...what comes to mind are images of drugged-up sub-humans wearing nikes and "fitty-cent" t-shirts in 3rd world countries like Somalia, holding AK-47's...I'll throw in my lot with the people wearing clean uniforms & carrying clean weapons everytime..ownership of an AR-15 presupposes a certain level of intelligence and respect for the weapon not commonly found in people who drag their weapons through the mud and sand...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-06-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #34

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Default umm...

why not get a good reliable 7.62x39 upper to go on those little black rifle lowers?
sounds like best of both worlds to me?...
as long as we're on that subject....whats best...hk-91 or m-14?...

Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #35

Likes Given: 2

from what i have seen/heard/experienced (not from combat mind) ak, has better stopping power, ar has better acuracy. there is definetly a niche for both. personally, love my ar style sig 556.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #36

Let me put a slightly different twist on the question. In light of today's political environment (future price/availability of ammo and parts), which would you recommend? I am leaning toward an AK (its reliability/ease-of-use, to me, outweighs any disadvantage in accuracy - but no need to argue that point)-but wouldn't want it if the ammo is significantly harder to find.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #37

Likes Given: 2

if that is the criteria: ar. i cant seem to get enough NON-corosive
7.62x39's. can get all of the 223's that i want however.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbad-ratman View Post
if that is the criteria: ar. i cant seem to get enough NON-corosive
7.62x39's. can get all of the 223's that i want however.
What's the problem with shooting corrosive ammo in an AK? Shooting match grade ammo won't make an inherently inaccurate rifle much better. It's fine as long as you thoroughly clean the gun after shooting, which most people do anyways.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This age-old question can best be answered with another question:

"Do you prefer to hit your target with the first round, or do you prefer to scare it first?"
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #40

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
This age-old question can best be answered with another question:

"Do you prefer to hit your target with the first round, or do you prefer to scare it first?"
AK 47_____You can put a .30" hole through 12" of oak, if you can hit it.

AR-15_____You can put one hole in a paper target at 100m with 30 rounds.

Mosin-Nagant_____You can knock down everyone else's target just from the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.

I'd say "scare"