Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Ak-47 or Ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
AKs suffer from accuracy issues. ARs suffer from dependability issues. M14s suffer from neither.
I go with function first everytime. Other than some of the latest Romanian imports, the Kalishnikov will keep ticking when other rifles can't.

The main (AK) advantage over the AR is the gas piston system.
In the AR platform, hot gases vent directly into the rifle to make it function. That is why the SIG (pictured) is designed with the gas piston instead of the gas tube.

I own an shoot an AR 15. It is a tack driver, but, must be constantly maintained in order to function properly.

The AK pictured has been in my posession since 1992, over 35,000 rnds and not one stoppage EVER. It will shoot 4 inches @ 150 yds. My vote is AK, then AR.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
if your debating which to buy then you have to ask your self..... can you afford the gun and can you afford the ammo 7.62 is way cheaper than .223
That is an important consideration. As a college student with a very limited income I decided to go with an AK. I have great respect for the design of the weapon, but I'm not particularly fond of it compared to the AR platform. But I can afford to shoot it. My Romanian AK clone is pretty poor quality by any standard. It never fails to go bang, but it isn't very accurate. However, a crappy AK that I can practice regularly does me more good than a more expensive AR that would have to collect dust because between the build and the cost of ammo I wouldn't ever be able to shoot it. Naturally, your mileage will vary.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #23

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
I've fired both, I'm not to big of a fan of the selector switch on the AK. Aside from that I had no issues with it, the AR just feels more comfortable to me.

Qick question for the AK owners out there.

The AR-15 to me is incredibly easy to swap different parts for aftermarket parts, is it that easy on the AK too or is it what you see what you get?
It's easy:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Where do people get the idea that an AR rifle is hard to maintain and keep running in the elements.

I've put thousands and thousands of combined M855 ball, tracers, and blanks through my issue M4, and I have yet to experience a noteable malfunction (If I remember there was about 2 times that I had to run a SPORTS drill on it, and both of those times were with the blank rounds, which are crappy at best). All I did was periodically squirt some CLP on the bolt every 1500 rounds or so and it ran just fine.

Heck, my weapon has been so freakin dirty inside that I could literally scoop out the black gunk when I got around to giving it a clean up. There's nothing special about my M4 either. It's a standard, run of the mill, Colt made M4 rifle (generic issue).

BTW, this is during my unit exercises. We tend to eat up alot of ammo. For our next exercise we have around 50,000-70,000 rounds planned (tons of fun).

Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

it comes from the same people that say guns kill people, pencils write mistakes and stop signs are the leading cause of people getting tickets. its just common knowledge duh!!!! but the ak is known as the work horse. can you dip your m4 in mud and tap it and rack it and it shoots? im seriously asking cuz im too dang poor to build a ar or even buy one for that matter. but trust me i will have me one... someday<- those arent sarcasm eyes those are dream eyes

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #26

Lol people will always agree and disagree on this topic. But im going with AK first and AR second.
When it comes down to the AK will keep shooting and putting rounds out..no matter what circumstances. It is the #1 most reliable weapon out there. That AR may be a really comfortable, accurate, fast and sharp shooting wepon but you have to keep it in peak condition to perform. And in a war type scenario. I would want the ak becuase i know i could pop a clip in andd defend my ground lol. The AK also carry's an advantage over the 223 caliber. It can shoot through alot more things and still kill people or get the job done.

So there you go , i may have not covered all the factors but i just say go with whatevr you like best and what best fits your situation.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

sgtdeath66 posted:

Quote:
can you dip your m4 in mud and tap it and rack it and it shoots? im seriously asking cuz im too dang poor to build a ar or even buy one for that matter.
I wish I had pictures of how dirty/muddy/cruddy my M4 was on several occasions...lol. I'll trust my life to my M4 any day without second thought.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

someday ill have an ar. i really want to build mine though. i did some math a couple years ago and figured it would cost about 3g's to get her finished. i really want a stag arms left hand receiver but thats just dreams right now

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #29
THT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalMan View Post
What would you say is better. I myself prefer the Ak-47
Depends on the needs, I suppose. If you need something that will always go boom when you pull the trigger, get an AK. If you need something more accurate, get an AR. Or if you're a real gun nut, get both

Old 03-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #30

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
someday ill have an ar. i really want to build mine though. i did some math a couple years ago and figured it would cost about 3g's to get her finished. i really want a stag arms left hand receiver but thats just dreams right now
You need to study harder in school. If it's going to cost you $3K to build an AR, even at today's prices, the bastard better be made out of Titanium and have all hand fitted parts....

I have built a TON of AR's and I have never gone into the 3K Range unless the guy was doing three sets of optics ( BUIS, EoTech and Night Vision )

JD