Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK-47 Accuaracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Well I'll take the momentary derail. It sound VERY foolish to me to throw into the river a gun that comes with a lifetime warranty. All you had to do was ship it back to Hi-Point and they would have taken care of anything wrong with it.

I don't personally own a Hi-Point but I know of reputable folks in the industry that have tested the heck out of them and they work as advertised including one torture test that was captured on video and featured in the Guns and Ammo website. Scott E. Mayer, the past Sr. Editor of the online mag bet the President of Hi-Point that he could destroy one of his pistols and ship it back in a bag of parts or he'd buy it if he couldn't. He owns the gun today.

You have not offended me in the least, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not particularly thin skinned.
Your right and I admire that everyone on here does list and observe the opinions regardless of what they are and take little offense. To me the weapon is pointless like someone else said it's a massive pistol and I'm not the smallest person you'll meet lol between that jamming and the low cost and some slight temper issues that's were it ended up not much worries with that ya know

Old 10-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Whoever bestowed upon you such "teachings" was wrong... Might want to go find another source of enlightenment.
I do stand corrected on that and have no problem admitting this although I was not exactly breaking it do to b/c I still had never broke down and looked into it and stated before I did this happens to everyone. But I do still stand corrected and appreciate the new information on that particular subject

Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #43

Liked 4423 Times on 2145 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
People always compare the accuracy of this gun to that gun, but let's be realistic. While there are other semi-automatic rifles chambered in an intermediate cartridge that are more mechanically accurate than the AK platform, the average shooter, shooting off-hand at a semi rapid pace, we'll say one round a second, is not going to notice much of a difference (if any) in accuracy at combat distances. Most decent AKs will shoot 4MOA, the better ones being sub 2MOA, and even at 4MOA, at 300 yards, that's a little over 12 inches. I don't know about you guys, but where I come from 12 inches is minute of man all day long.

Some people (not saying it's any of you guys) get so hung up on the accuracy of a rifle, but unless your purpose for the rifle is to shoot little tiny groups from really from away, all the while sitting at a bench with your rifle in a totally stable rest, then who cares?

-Fred
2nd That!

The AK platform is my choice for urban SHTF contingencies.
1. cheap ammo
2. reliable
3. good penetration
4. excellent rate of fire

TACK

Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #44

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
People always compare the accuracy of this gun to that gun, but let's be realistic. While there are other semi-automatic rifles chambered in an intermediate cartridge that are more mechanically accurate than the AK platform, the average shooter, shooting off-hand at a semi rapid pace, we'll say one round a second, is not going to notice much of a difference (if any) in accuracy at combat distances. Most decent AKs will shoot 4MOA, the better ones being sub 2MOA, and even at 4MOA, at 300 yards, that's a little over 12 inches. I don't know about you guys, but where I come from 12 inches is minute of man all day long.

Some people (not saying it's any of you guys) get so hung up on the accuracy of a rifle, but unless your purpose for the rifle is to shoot little tiny groups from really from away, all the while sitting at a bench with your rifle in a totally stable rest, then who cares?

-Fred
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
2nd That!

The AK platform is my choice for urban SHTF contingencies.
1. cheap ammo
2. reliable
3. good penetration
4. excellent rate of fire

TACK
Triple all that!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #45

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
Not to bring up a hi point argument, but have you ever used hi point customer service? the factory service, w/e they call it. It's awful. They were so reluctant to replace my firearm (hi point 40) I never sent it in. Some of there carbines are okay for the price, but to trust your life with a hi point pistol, ha! I'm sorry my life is worth more than 150 dollar pistol with a "lifetime guarantee".

Odd enough I think my Hi point .40 ended up in a river as well. Probably supporting a whole ecosystem! Way more than it ever did for me.
Like I said I have no dog in this fight and I'm only talking from knowledge gained by some folks I trust and know personaly. I don't own an Hi-Point but you have to remember to some folks $150 is a boatload of money and having a Hi-Point in their hands when they needed a gun beats dying wishing you had a gun as your last thought on earth.

In any case I just used the Hi-Point as an example of another inexpensively made gun that is a little short on the aesthetics but works but will never be called an accurate precision firearm.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #46

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
they do have epic fails. prolly due to the very loose tolerances
And don't forget the large amount of mud hut built AKs throughout Pakistan and Afghanistan.

-------

AKs do a great job at doing what they were made to do. They are a battle rifle not a bench rest beauty queen.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #47

I agree with Igeteven (and Fcross7 &tackelberry1)
Furthermore I would also choose the AK because of the availability of spare parts and ammo.
One should always choose the best tool for the job.
Accuarcy is what it is, in CQB or other close or mid range encounters the AK is to my believe one of the best choices. It was never build to be a very accurate automatic rifle.
It was build with the Sturmgewehr 44 in mind and the original idea of the Sturmgewehr was to give the german soldiers more capacity of suppressing fire. So they could optimalise their
Blitzkieg. Still today that is what the Ak is used for and it does it's job very well.