AK-47 Accuaracy - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK-47 Accuaracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever

Probably the best thing I've heard all day. For me whether or not a rifle can shoot a small group at say 200 yards is irrelevant. As long as it can touch somebody out at that distance is all that matters to me. I don't do bench rest shooting or extreme precision shooting. I do off hand shooting and just shooting at targets like tin cans, clay pidgeons, rotten fruit/vegtables, and ocassionaly paper targets at various ranges, but no more than 150-200 yards. I'm not a very serious marksman I just enjoy shooting/plinking instead of trying to get very small groups at various distances. I rather be more realistic than try to implement a firearm in an extreme curcumstance.
Can't argue with that in any farm I'm a long range shooter but don't have me wrong I have my stash of ccw's.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
The AK is the Hi Point of rifles. It is cheaply made and the tolerances are pretty sloppy. If it wasn't for folks fear of the current administration, import costs and US made parts you now need to sell the gun in the US, the gun could probably be had for under $200. It's crudely made, rattly, ugly, not very accurate but it will just about always go bang when you need it to, no matter what condition it's in.

If your need is accuracy there are many more accurate platforms than the AK. Or if you are really dead set on an accurate AK you might want to give the guys at Red Jacket a call and see if they will build you one of their ridiculous and expensive 1,000 yard AKs
I disagree, comparing it to a hi point. True an AK will always go bang... but will a Hi Point? In my experience.... no. Don't bet your life on a hi point, I don't think you would be alive long enough to respond.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #23

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
People always compare the accuracy of this gun to that gun, but let's be realistic. While there are other semi-automatic rifles chambered in an intermediate cartridge that are more mechanically accurate than the AK platform, the average shooter, shooting off-hand at a semi rapid pace, we'll say one round a second, is not going to notice much of a difference (if any) in accuracy at combat distances. Most decent AKs will shoot 4MOA, the better ones being sub 2MOA, and even at 4MOA, at 300 yards, that's a little over 12 inches. I don't know about you guys, but where I come from 12 inches is minute of man all day long.

Some people (not saying it's any of you guys) get so hung up on the accuracy of a rifle, but unless your purpose for the rifle is to shoot little tiny groups from really from away, all the while sitting at a bench with your rifle in a totally stable rest, then who cares?

-Fred
+1 to that! I'm at the age where I can barely see a man size target 300 yards away, much less hit it. I'm also realistic enough to know that my shooting range (unless aided by a good scope) is limited to what I can see. Since 200 yards is about my range limit, an AK-47/7.62x39 combo is MORE than accurate enough for me.

Someone once told me a little story... A young man with limited funds wanted a performance car but could only afford an old Volkswagen Beetle. He went to a junk yard, told the owner he wanted to turn his Beetle into a sports car and asked the owner what he needed to do to make his BUG into a hot rod. The owner replied "get a different car". The same applies to rifles and ammunition. If you want a high velocity, highly accurate weapon that will "reach out and touch someone" at 500 yards, get a different gun in a different caliber, not an AK.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #24

The only fair way of testing accuracy is putting it in a vice. Theres a difference between how accurate a gun is, and how accurate you are with that gun.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #25

Liked 1779 Times on 920 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
. . I was thinking back to the time I shot one at a clay pigeon in a gravel pit about 30 yards away, and it took a good 5 shots with the same sight picture to get the desired result. .
A skeet target is how big; four, five inches? How big is ‘Center Mass’? A foot wide? How deep? Would you have needed to five shots to hit someone at 30 yards? I’m thinking they’re as accurate as they need to be, for the people that are intended to use them.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #26

AKs were designed to be mass produced easily and cheaply. They are pretty reliable in that the tolerances are loose enough that the rifle will fire under most extreme conditions. Mud, sand dirt etc.

The receivers are stamped out of steel and then bent into shape. That is unless you have a milled receiver. The milled receivered AKs are probabley slightly more acurate due to the tolerances being slightly tighter.

If you are looking for an accurate Ak, go wioth a AK-74 in 7.62x54. The real deal ones were select fire and also used for sniper rifles. It also has a linger barrel for greater distances.

President, M14 Rifle Association
Chief Range Officer M14RA
M14 Rifle Instructor M14RA
Rifle Instructor M14RA
Chief Range Officer NRA
Rifle Instructor NRA

Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #27

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
A skeet target is how big; four, five inches? How big is ‘Center Mass’? A foot wide? How deep? Would you have needed to five shots to hit someone at 30 yards? I’m thinking they’re as accurate as they need to be, for the people that are intended to use them.
I prefer to aim for the NRZ against humanoid targets. (namely, zombies, people on drugs, and those stupid enough to get their eyes above cover during paintball)

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 10-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Hornady has some new steel cased ammo with the Vmax bullets that are supposed to be match grade. I have not had a chance to try them yet in my Mini 30.
I actually put some of that Hornaday ammo through my Bulgarian AK47 last weekend and it's very good ammo. I got in my stance and fired the first round at 50 yrds (indoor range, low-light) and it nailed dead center of the "X" on a man-sized, and the rest of the box impacted where i wanted them to. Didn't have any mis-fire, or failure to feed/fire with that ammo. Good stuff and I'd recommend it to anyone who can afford to pay more than 30cents a round.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Arsenal SGL-21s come with a good mount rail.

I got this:

Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #30

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

From what I find with AK's. Shoot ten rounds rapidly & it tightens up a little bit. Then the accuracy improves by about 15-20%. Seems to stay constant no matter what make or model.
A spray & pray rifle is shot from instincts. If you want accuracy buy an AR.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk