Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK-47 Accuaracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default AK-47 Accuaracy

There's probably something obvious that I'm overlooking or something, but why is the Ak-47 so damn inaccurate? I was thinking back to the time I shot one at a clay pigeon in a gravel pit about 30 yards away, and it took a good 5 shots with the same sight picture to get the desired result. Are there higher accuracy versions that I just haven't had the pleasure or shooting?

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
There's probably something obvious that I'm overlooking or something, but why is the Ak-47 so damn inaccurate? I was thinking back to the time I shot one at a clay pigeon in a gravel pit about 30 yards away, and it took a good 5 shots with the same sight picture to get the desired result. Are there higher accuracy versions that I just haven't had the pleasure or shooting?
The AK is the Hi Point of rifles. It is cheaply made and the tolerances are pretty sloppy. If it wasn't for folks fear of the current administration, import costs and US made parts you now need to sell the gun in the US, the gun could probably be had for under $200. It's crudely made, rattly, ugly, not very accurate but it will just about always go bang when you need it to, no matter what condition it's in.

If your need is accuracy there are many more accurate platforms than the AK. Or if you are really dead set on an accurate AK you might want to give the guys at Red Jacket a call and see if they will build you one of their ridiculous and expensive 1,000 yard AKs

Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Most AK47's are great for cutting a 50 gallon drum in half, or venting a car.
There are some that are more accurate, but your gonna pay! My old Hi-point 995 is very accurate out to 50 yards, not sure how Hi-point came into the thread. I find the 5.45x39 rifles much more accurate.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Aks are innacurate because the dimensions for the parts are so loosley defined. Which is ALSO why they are next to impossible to jam up because of how nuch free spqce there is inside.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
and see if they will build you one of their ridiculous and expensive 1,000 yard AKs
I want it to bear my children.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5277 Times on 2752 Posts
Likes Given: 333

they do have epic fails. prolly due to the very loose tolerances

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

That first video was hilarious.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Due to the AK having looser tolerances it is more reliable, however you sacrifice accuracy. One thing to note is if you buy an AK from Century Arms Internation (I think that's the new name) the front sight might be off, whereas if you buy one from Arsenal most likely the front sight will be on.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #9

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Most AK47's are great for cutting a 50 gallon drum in half, or venting a car.
There are some that are more accurate, but your gonna pay! My old Hi-point 995 is very accurate out to 50 yards, not sure how Hi-point came into the thread. I find the 5.45x39 rifles much more accurate.
Since I brought it up I want to be clear I did not mean what I wrote in a disparaging manner. There is nothing wrong with Hi-Point guns. I was just using it as an example of a reliable but inexpensively made firearm that goes bang every time you need it to.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #10

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

if you want an all around good AK-type rifle,buy Norinco (MAK-90)

if you want an all around good & very accurate AK-type rifle,buy Norinco (BWK-92sporter) chambered .556