Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   AK-47 Accuaracy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/ak-47-accuaracy-49150/)

Ploofy 10-02-2011 03:45 PM

AK-47 Accuaracy

There's probably something obvious that I'm overlooking or something, but why is the Ak-47 so damn inaccurate? I was thinking back to the time I shot one at a clay pigeon in a gravel pit about 30 yards away, and it took a good 5 shots with the same sight picture to get the desired result. Are there higher accuracy versions that I just haven't had the pleasure or shooting?

Wambli 10-02-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploofy (Post 591255)
There's probably something obvious that I'm overlooking or something, but why is the Ak-47 so damn inaccurate? I was thinking back to the time I shot one at a clay pigeon in a gravel pit about 30 yards away, and it took a good 5 shots with the same sight picture to get the desired result. Are there higher accuracy versions that I just haven't had the pleasure or shooting?

The AK is the Hi Point of rifles. It is cheaply made and the tolerances are pretty sloppy. If it wasn't for folks fear of the current administration, import costs and US made parts you now need to sell the gun in the US, the gun could probably be had for under $200. It's crudely made, rattly, ugly, not very accurate but it will just about always go bang when you need it to, no matter what condition it's in.

If your need is accuracy there are many more accurate platforms than the AK. Or if you are really dead set on an accurate AK you might want to give the guys at Red Jacket a call and see if they will build you one of their ridiculous and expensive 1,000 yard AKs :D

jpattersonnh 10-02-2011 07:39 PM

Most AK47's are great for cutting a 50 gallon drum in half, or venting a car.
There are some that are more accurate, but your gonna pay! My old Hi-point 995 is very accurate out to 50 yards, not sure how Hi-point came into the thread. I find the 5.45x39 rifles much more accurate.

Lessdragon 10-02-2011 07:58 PM

Aks are innacurate because the dimensions for the parts are so loosley defined. Which is ALSO why they are next to impossible to jam up because of how nuch free spqce there is inside.

Ploofy 10-02-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli (Post 591364)
and see if they will build you one of their ridiculous and expensive 1,000 yard AKs :D

I want it to bear my children.

JonM 10-02-2011 09:07 PM

they do have epic fails. prolly due to the very loose tolerances

Boyerracing343 10-02-2011 09:21 PM

That first video was hilarious. :D

Firearms4ever 10-03-2011 02:23 PM

Due to the AK having looser tolerances it is more reliable, however you sacrifice accuracy. One thing to note is if you buy an AK from Century Arms Internation (I think that's the new name) the front sight might be off, whereas if you buy one from Arsenal most likely the front sight will be on.

Wambli 10-04-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 591372)
Most AK47's are great for cutting a 50 gallon drum in half, or venting a car.
There are some that are more accurate, but your gonna pay! My old Hi-point 995 is very accurate out to 50 yards, not sure how Hi-point came into the thread. I find the 5.45x39 rifles much more accurate.

Since I brought it up I want to be clear I did not mean what I wrote in a disparaging manner. There is nothing wrong with Hi-Point guns. I was just using it as an example of a reliable but inexpensively made firearm that goes bang every time you need it to.

m72law 10-04-2011 01:53 AM

if you want an all around good AK-type rifle,buy Norinco (MAK-90)

if you want an all around good & very accurate AK-type rifle,buy Norinco (BWK-92sporter) chambered .556 :D