Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Affordable bullpup rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/affordable-bullpup-rifle-27066/)

HawkI 05-12-2010 07:52 AM

Affordable bullpup rifle?

I'm looking for an affordable bullpup rifle for around $500. I have already looked into the Bushmaster M17S and read mixed reviews. I understand that any other bullpup (like the FAMAS, AUG, and Keltec to name a few) are usually over the $1000 mark. I'd like a balance of quality and affordability. I'm not so sure about kits, but if anyone can tell me something good about them, I might consider the option. I've also heard of an SKS bullpup... It sparked my interest, so any info would be great!

Dzscubie 05-12-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkI (Post 283921)
I'm looking for an affordable bullpup rifle for around $500. I have already looked into the Bushmaster M17S and read mixed reviews. I understand that any other bullpup (like the FAMAS, AUG, and Keltec to name a few) are usually over the $1000 mark. I'd like a balance of quality and affordability. I'm not so sure about kits, but if anyone can tell me something good about them, I might consider the option. I've also heard of an SKS bullpup... It sparked my interest, so any info would be great!

I have the Steyr Aug (new one made here in the US) and love it. Yes, it is expensive at around $2,200 or so but it is one hell of a weapon. I have loved the Aug for over 22 years from when I have my first one issued and now due to a fantastic wife I have my own. I love the bull pup design, its short length and almost no felt recoil that lends itself to a great house/building clearing weapon (I’m a cop). This is the only bull pup I can comment on as it is the only one I’ve utilized. A few of the other FTF members have shot it and seemed impressed also. :D

HawkI 05-13-2010 05:06 AM

Yeah I've been researching and the Steyr AUG seems to be a favorite among bull pup users. Now I know this weapon would be out of my price range as well, but the FN P90 has also caught my eye. I've seen some for around $1400 online. I'm assuming I could find the weapon cheaper at a gun show table.

shnorse 05-19-2010 05:44 PM

a friend of mine as a hi-point carbine... i shot 50 rounds through it, not a bad gun... can get them brand new for 270. the trigger was a bit weird looking, but shot smooth as butter. This gun is not pretty, but it doesn't skip a beat. He has it in 9 mm.

The beretta cx4 storm is a great gun also, at around 800 bucks, it comes in either 40 or 45, i forget which... friend loves that one also...

orangello 05-19-2010 05:59 PM

"ROMANIAN 1975 MODEL AK BULLPUP CHROME

THIS IS ONE OF THE NEATEST, MOST FUTURISTIC LOOKING AK RIFLES ON THE MARKET, COMPACT AND EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE TO SHOOT. SEMI-AUTO, 7.62X39 CALIBER. BLACK POLYMER FURNITURE WITH A HARD CHROME FINISH. THESE ARE REALLY NICE. THIS RIFLE IS A REAL SHOWPIECE..... EXTREMELY LIMITED QUANTITIES. DON'T MISS THIS ONE. EACH RIFLE COMES COMPLETE WITH 1-30 ROUND CHROME MAG....... AK-BULLPUP-CH...................$549.95 "
It's an AK, how bad could it really be?
Classic Arms Inc.
I have not personally dealt with this dealer but have heard good things. YMMV

LuckyGunner 06-08-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 287251)

THIS IS ONE OF THE NEATEST, MOST FUTURISTIC LOOKING AK RIFLES ON THE MARKET, COMPACT AND EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE TO SHOOT. SEMI-AUTO, 7.62X39 CALIBER. BLACK POLYMER FURNITURE WITH A HARD CHROME FINISH. THESE ARE REALLY NICE. THIS RIFLE IS A REAL SHOWPIECE..... EXTREMELY LIMITED QUANTITIES. DON'T MISS THIS ONE. EACH RIFLE COMES COMPLETE WITH 1-30 ROUND CHROME MAG....... AK-BULLPUP-CH...................$549.95 "
Classic Arms Inc.

That's an interesting looking gun.

robocop10mm 06-09-2010 01:07 AM

I had an M-17S. I wish I still did. Take off the barrel nuts and screw on an M-16 flash hider. The main draw backs are it is not convertible to left handed operation and the smoke out of the ejection port gets in your eyes. That can be minimized by using dry lube instead of oil.

wardog99s 06-29-2010 10:58 PM

ok, i was at the gun show i met a guy who makes stocks and houseing for turning a ak-47, a ar-15, mosnigonts, he is wouring on a mouser houseing to turn them all into bulpups.. they felt nice.. i need to find his card

janikphoto 07-21-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 287251)

Classic Arms Inc.

My brother picked up the AK bullpup and it shoots well, but the thing gets waaaaaayyy hot in all the wrong places! The trigger feels red hot after a couple mags. There may be a way to reduce the amount of heat transferred to it, but the stock models are not for continuous use.

I, too, am interested in the SKS bullpups, though I haven't shot one yet. I think it would be a great, reliable, cheap bullpup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardog99s (Post 307970)
ok, i was at the gun show i met a guy who makes stocks and houseing for turning a ak-47, a ar-15, mosnigonts, he is wouring on a mouser houseing to turn them all into bulpups.. they felt nice.. i need to find his card

Your spelling is pretty rough (Mosin Nagant, for example), but I think we all get what you're saying. I'm not sure a mosin would make a good bullpup, since you couldn't easily operate the bolt that close to your chest/face. It would make for an interesting toy, I suppose. But I don't own enough Mosins to hack up one.

orangello 07-21-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janikphoto (Post 318326)
There may be a way to reduce the amount of heat transferred to it, but the stock models are not for continuous use.

Time for the tacticool picatinny-mountable cooling fan?