The ACR gets a face lift - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > The ACR gets a face lift

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I sure hope the ACR and whole IC program fail. What an incredible waste of money it would be for such minor "upgrades". Put that money toward salary increases and more training for our troops instead.
I actually disagree w/ you on this one, although ever so slightly.

I think these programs could be slim-lineded but do help push/encourage progress.

The COLT is a fine weapon and I can't really recall ever having any problems w/ it but being static is a bad thing. It's one of those "a active body stays active" thing. Id rather swim in a river than a staggnant pond.
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tackleberry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,147
Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
it shoots a 5.56 in semi full or burst depending on how its set. the m4 does the same thing. weight is similar. size is similar. function is similar. the only difference is the m4 is cheaper and already in inventory with a large spare parts inventory.

senators cant pick the people's pockets as easily unless they are buying an unneeded weapon system. thats the real difference. lots of corporate campaign donations at stake for them. they get a LOT of lobbyist perks and gifts for holding these "trials".

it may be a cool neato rifle but at the heart it is not a fundamental change in technology or platform to warrant replacing our current service rifle.
^^THIS^^

Tack
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
smoooth308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 237
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/new-remington-acr-pdw/
__________________
smoooth308 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,657
Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I actually disagree w/ you on this one, although ever so slightly.

I think these programs could be slim-lineded but do help push/encourage progress.

The COLT is a fine weapon and I can't really recall ever having any problems w/ it but being static is a bad thing. It's one of those "a active body stays active" thing. Id rather swim in a river than a staggnant pond.
True, progress and better design are good but what I fear is an incredible expenditure to scrap a working rifle for a slightly upgraded design. That should be done only when something clearly superior at a comparable price is placed on the table. That's been a very difficult target to hit so far.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
True, progress and better design are good but what I fear is an incredible expenditure to scrap a working rifle for a slightly upgraded design. That should be done only when something clearly superior at a comparable price is placed on the table. That's been a very difficult target to hit so far.
I agree. Maybe there's some secret extraordinary new small arms system they are on the verge of introducing but I haven't seen anything worth migrating away from the M4/M16.
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,698
Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default

Funny, I thought the original ACR was a face-lift...

Sooo, it's a face-lift getting a face-lift?

Phyllis Diller would be sooo jealous...

__________________

Last edited by therewolf; 04-02-2012 at 05:21 PM.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,657
Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Funny, I thought the original ACR was a face-lift...

Sooo, it's a face-lift getting a face-lift?

Phyllis Diller would be sooo jealous...
Why does the phrase lipstick on a pig come to mind?
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,657
Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I agree. Maybe there's some secret extraordinary new small arms system they are on the verge of introducing but I haven't seen anything worth migrating away from the M4/M16.
Well they developed phasers by the year of Star Trek so I'm guessing the M4 finally got replaced along the line!
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well they developed phasers by the year of Star Trek so I'm guessing the M4 finally got replaced along the line!
lol. I think they should be replaced w/ playing cards.
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,698
Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
lol. I think they should be replaced w/ playing cards.
Kind of like the killer clown deck in Dawn of Sorrow?
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Stuck in a lift Davyboy The Club House 24 11-22-2010 05:47 AM
A face lift for my AR-15 junho806 AR-15 Discussion 12 03-20-2010 05:23 PM
SNL Does An About-Face. gorknoids The Club House 5 10-26-2009 07:28 PM
Just watched Endeavor lift off... DarrylS The Club House 5 11-16-2008 05:47 AM