9mm carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > 9mm carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default 9mm carbine

Well, even know I just bought my mosin, I am already thinking of my next gun.

I am split between 3 guns. A Ruger 10/22, a Nagant Revolver (if I can find one that I can buy through a private sell), or a 9mm carbine. I'll save those other two for another thread later down the road, so for now, lets focus on the 9mm.

I like the idea of a small, light, cheap to shoot rifle with ammo I can get pretty much anywhere. I have looked at a few carbines already, and they are ugly as hell. (I looked at a hi point 995, and a kel tec sub 2000) Some of the more expensive carbines also have this problem. Why? The designs just look so odd to me. (I tend to perfer classic guns, over todays tactical stuff)

The carbine I have looked into the most is the Hi Point. How good are they? Are they accurate and dependable? Do they have a history of problems? I was thinking that maybe I could just get one, and customize the hell out of it to make it look nicer (I could design, and build a custom wood stock for it, and give it a completely different look. Yes, that sounds like a lot of work, but I don't mind. I love to do stuff like that, and it would give me something to do for a while.)

Are there any other good carbines out there that won't break the bank?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1657 Posts

If a beautiful 9 mm carbine is what you want, try to find a marlin camp9. Nice wood stock, uses 59 series sw magazines. It's a little on the heavy side, but its a little more "classic sexy" than what's made today.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

I bought a Hi Point 995TS last month. I've been to the range twice with it, zero problems so far. Pretty damn accurate right out of the box.

image-1984798313.jpg  

Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

The Marlin and Ruger carbines are getting very expensive since they are now collectors. The JR carbines are around $600. The HiPoint is known to be reliable but is ugly. They are limited on their mags. I think there is a higher cap 9mm available now. The folding feature of the Kel-Tek is what interests me. There are after market parts available to dress them up but that adds $. With a quad rail and a new metal front sight, they look pretty good.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Hi-Point has incredible customer service, and

a great Warranty.

My LGS, a Hi-Point dealer, can't keep the 995s

in stock, they go so fast. They are well-rated,

compared to carbines costing two or three times

as much.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #6

I know there's a ton of Hi Point haters that will probably flame me but, I really dig the rifle. It's fun to shoot, affordable and the warranty really sealed the deal for me.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Liked 636 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 1892

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_gen
I know there's a ton of Hi Point haters that will probably flame me but, I really dig the rifle. It's fun to shoot, affordable and the warranty really sealed the deal for me.
I agree +1. I had one and loved it. I traded it for a 9mm pistol and to this day I regret it...

Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

I like the look of the Ruger pc9 police, and the Marlin camp9, but theY are a little pricy for my budget ($400-$500). I'm still leaning towards the Hi Point. I just wish they hadn't put the mag in the hand grip. I think it would have been better if they had moved it forward a bit. It would have allowed more options for both the mag, and the stock. I think I could make a stock for it that gives it the look of a (somewhat) classic SMG. I'll get a pic of the reciever, and see if I can design a stock around it that makes it look better.

Quick question, I understand wanting to make cheap, indestructable guns, but why does Hi Point have to make ALL of their guns fugly?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I like the look of the Ruger pc9 police, and the Marlin camp9, but theY are a little pricy for my budget ($400-$500). I'm still leaning towards the Hi Point. I just wish they hadn't put the mag in the hand grip. I think it would have been better if they had moved it forward a bit. It would have allowed more options for both the mag, and the stock. I think I could make a stock for it that gives it the look of a (somewhat) classic SMG. I'll get a pic of the reciever, and see if I can design a stock around it that makes it look better.

Quick question, I understand wanting to make cheap, indestructable guns, but why does Hi Point have to make ALL of their guns fugly?

I guess you can't marry sexy and affordable...keep me posted with pics of your project.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_gen View Post
I guess you can't marry sexy and affordable...keep me posted with pics of your project.
lol, depends on the type of gun. Later on (probably a few months at the very least), I'll be sure to post pics of the project.