Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > 6.8 mm opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 6.8 mm opinions

I have gotten a couple inquiries on 6.8mm and wonder what is the opinion of this group as to me stocking some lowers in 6.8mm? How popular is it with black gun folks? So far all my sales have been in 5.56 or 9mm.

Vendor www.richards-guns.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2009, 04:03 AM   #2

Good round from what I heard....and from what was explained to me the power of the AK round with the good things for 5.56 all in a smaller package....expensive round that since no one really uses it that much.

I expect soon though that 6.8 or another round will survive the 5.56 as we need a harder hitting round.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A brother of mine has one of these in 6.8 and we find it to be a considerably superior round than the 5.56 (.223). It has very similar ballistics to the 7.62X51 (.308 Win.) with the recoil similar to the 5.56. The ammunition, however, is quite pricey and difficult at times to get compaired to the 5.56. I've read that White Tail deer hunters find this 6.8 round very good for this game. I beleive that this round is still catching on and eventually will reduce in price as it becomes more popular. You might stock on your shelves the componets required to build one of these, but at first, I would keep the quanities of these componets to a minimum. See how they sell and increase or eliminate inventory as needed.

I think they would sell.

Theres a store here in Sacramento, Calif. called River City Guns which among other things sell the componets to build California legal AR's. I believe they sell the componets to build out in 6.8. If you dont feel that you might be in direct competion to them give them a call and see how their sales go for the 6.8 componets. Thats what I'd do. Call your supplier also they should be eager to help with this decision.

Anyhow, thats my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I suspect you meant uppers instead of lowers as you posted. I think the 6.8 is a good round and SHOULD catch on. Dip your toe in the water before plunging in. I wouldn't mind a 6.8 flattop upper myself if the price is right.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #5

Default They are listed under lowers and uppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I suspect you meant uppers instead of lowers as you posted. I think the 6.8 is a good round and SHOULD catch on. Dip your toe in the water before plunging in. I wouldn't mind a 6.8 flattop upper myself if the price is right.
I have been considering trying some Stag Arms guns; up to now all I have bought were Rock River Arms. I was looking at their stripped and complete lower receivers and they list them in standard and 6.8 so they must just lable them for that round.

Dick

Vendor www.richards-guns.com

Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I've heard little on the 6.8 but all was good.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

from all the tests they've done on it, it will most likely be the round to replace the 5.56. it has almost the knock down of a 7.62 but with less weight to carry around, not much more recoil than the 5.56 and just a little larger than the 5.56 in size.

all good things, considering carry weight, performance, and the fact that you really don't have to change much on a 5.56 platform other than pulling the pins and popping on a new upper assembly, inserting a 6.8 mag of ammunition, and off you go.

price wise, you can pick up a complete 6.8 upper, w/ charging handle and bcg for less than $600 right now. the down side is...lack of ammo. most of what is being manufactured is seemingly feeding the 6.8's of the spec. forces in the sandbox right now.

but if you had done your homework a while back (like early last year maybe) you would have stocked up on some ammo and uppers when they were easily available.

not to fret, they will be back
slo

Old 08-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was considering building an AR in 6.8 for my granddaughter, although, the new .30 AR round is starting to get my attention. Check the ballistics on this 110 gr. round before committing to the 6.8. The .30 AR can be cycled through an AR lower with the 30 AR upper and magazine.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 08-16-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #9

Are you referring to the 6.8 SPC, or the 6.5 Grendel?
If your talking about the Grendel then I would suggest stocking them.
Here's a link that tells you why.

Comparing 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #10

Default 6.8 is a military non-starter

Lots of time and effort was spent evaluating 6.8 in the military. During the SCAR (Special Operations Combat Assault Rifle) competition, 6.8 looked good for awhile. As we know, when the contract award was made, 6.8 was rejected and a reconfigurable system was adopted that could be configured in 5.56 (light) or 7.62 (heavy). Similarly, the 6.8 was considered for the OICW program which started as the XM-29. Slowly, weight and space issues surrounding the grenade launcher broke the program into two parts. Eventually, the bullet launching XM8 died its own slow death and what the "Lethality Module" of the Future Force Warrior Program will be, still remains in doubt. One of the big reasons 6.8 was rejected was the cost of a whole new logistics train. Its one thing to stock up some 6.8 in your garage. Its quite another to develop, test, contract, stock, distribute, track, revise tactical manuals, establish basic loads, alter load bearing equipment, modify training and do all the other things required to adopt 6.8 in a 3.1 million active and reserve person military force. BOTTOM LINE: For now and the foreseeable future, 6.8 is dead in the military.

And its not just the ammo itself that is at issue. SCAR is being fielded. M14 (and variants) are being issued again for unit level sniper capabilities. Again, buying a rifle chambered in 6.8 for your private collection is one thing. Replacing thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of weapons already in the military inventory is an entirely different thing. In these days of F-22 cuts, missile defense cuts, cuts in programs like Future Combat Systems and such, 6.8 is a dog that just ain't gonna hunt in the military.

I worry about availability of non-standard (spell that not appearing in unit TO&E) ammunition. I'll stock 5.56, 7.62 and 9mm. Oh, and since cops use a lot of 40 S&W, I'll include that too.