Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > 5.56 vs. 7.62x39 vs. 308 Recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 709

I've owned SKS's in 7.62x39, Ar's in 5.56, and many types of 7.62x51 and .308's.
By far, if I were bugging out, the 5.45x39 in the AK74 (Sar2/Wasr2) is a great little round. Accuracy is out to 400 yards+, easy recoil, ammo is fairly light weight, magazines are fairly cheap.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine
Also, for home defense you have to account for the size of the weapon. While I've seen somy incredibly compact .308 semi autos, the smaller round with less recoil let's an even more compact weapon possible. Take for example, the AR15 pistols, there's a damn good reason few people with half a brain have tried to make an M14, or FAL pistol. Partially because it would be a bit ridiculous, partially because it would be uncontrollable.

Anyway, the .308/ 7.62x51 NATO, great marksman round, great battle rifle round, and a great hunting round. It is not however a good self defense round partially because the round will yes, kill the person being fired on with ease... along with the next two people behind him. Also the recoil and overwhelming noise (in CQB) will disorient you and your second shot will be very difficult, not to mention delayed.

The .223/ 5.56x45 NATO, great assault rifle round, great small game round, easy to use round, and, believe it or not, just as damaging as a 7.62x51 to people because it fragments and tumbles, with the added bonus of limited overpenetration. It is also less disorienting and brutal to fire in an enclosed space meaning that a second follow up shot will be both quicker and more accurate. The smaller size of the weapon system also makes a suppressor more practical meaning that you don't have to wake the neighbors when a baddie breaks in at night.

The 7.62x39 round, good assault rifle round, cheap round, good close range punch. However when you reach out more than 200m inaccurate and lacking in power. It has almost as much power as the .308 close up so you might only kill the next person behind your intended target, as opposed to the next two. But it is a combat load, I wouldn't use it hunting for fear of only wounding the animal past 200m. Just as disorienting as a .308 in CQB but the smaller size of associated weapon systems allows for a small suppressor to offset this. More recoil than the 5.56 but nothing like the 7.62x51 NATO.

And finally the 5.45x39, great assault rifle round, ideal for home defense, easy to shoot, and good for small game. It is hovever a glorified .22 magnum when it comes down to it. It isn't insanely lethal so you will need a second or third round on a person but thats ok because just like the .22 mag recoil is nonexistent and a second follow up shot is almost instantly possible. Little to no overpenetration so you're ok there, and like the 5.56 it tumbles causing optimum hydrostatic shock resulting in a good bit of internal damage.

However if you're looking for self/ home defense why not a 12ga? A nice military grade pump will stop a robbery just by working the pump. You probably won't even need to fire, and if you do... just leave some pitbull rounds lying around and you will very quickly have two pieces of criminal as opposed to one with some holes in him. Even if you're looking for a range gun shotguns can be very fun to shoot, painful sometimes but fun. Also they're great for all kinds of hunting from small game squirrels and coons to large game bears and elk.

Never Forget.
If you hit some body center mass with a 7.62x39 round you will not need a follow up shot. Especially if you got a nice hollow point or ballistic tip

Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47dunner

If you hit some body center mass with a 7.62x39 round you will not need a follow up shot. Especially if you got a nice hollow point or ballistic tip
True, but in a high stress situation like that you are highly likely to miss completely, which makes follow up shots important. When I was on my 2nd tour to the middle east my sergeant breached a house and found himself face to face with a combatant and emptied a whole clip but only 4 rounds hit and those were in the arms and legs. He had to beat the combatant to the ground with the butt of his gun before the guy stopped fighting him.

Never Forget.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut

I agree shotguns are the best for defending the home. I was thinking more about in the case of a foreign invasion or natural disaster where you'd have to defend yourself in places other than the home, whoever likely or unlikely you think such a situation is.
I think there will be a cold day in hell before there is a invasion on us soil. If there ever was I would be happy with my sks. And don't forget the us army is gona be it's own breed of pain in the ass if either of thoes "problems" happen.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine
Also, for home defense you have to account for the size of the weapon. While I've seen somy incredibly compact .308 semi autos, the smaller round with less recoil let's an even more compact weapon possible. Take for example, the AR15 pistols, there's a damn good reason few people with half a brain have tried to make an M14, or FAL pistol. Partially because it would be a bit ridiculous, partially because it would be uncontrollable.

Anyway, the .308/ 7.62x51 NATO, great marksman round, great battle rifle round, and a great hunting round. It is not however a good self defense round partially because the round will yes, kill the person being fired on with ease... along with the next two people behind him. Also the recoil and overwhelming noise (in CQB) will disorient you and your second shot will be very difficult, not to mention delayed.

The .223/ 5.56x45 NATO, great assault rifle round, great small game round, easy to use round, and, believe it or not, just as damaging as a 7.62x51 to people because it fragments and tumbles, with the added bonus of limited overpenetration. It is also less disorienting and brutal to fire in an enclosed space meaning that a second follow up shot will be both quicker and more accurate. The smaller size of the weapon system also makes a suppressor more practical meaning that you don't have to wake the neighbors when a baddie breaks in at night.

The 7.62x39 round, good assault rifle round, cheap round, good close range punch. However when you reach out more than 200m inaccurate and lacking in power. It has almost as much power as the .308 close up so you might only kill the next person behind your intended target, as opposed to the next two. But it is a combat load, I wouldn't use it hunting for fear of only wounding the animal past 200m. Just as disorienting as a .308 in CQB but the smaller size of associated weapon systems allows for a small suppressor to offset this. More recoil than the 5.56 but nothing like the 7.62x51 NATO.

And finally the 5.45x39, great assault rifle round, ideal for home defense, easy to shoot, and good for small game. It is hovever a glorified .22 magnum when it comes down to it. It isn't insanely lethal so you will need a second or third round on a person but thats ok because just like the .22 mag recoil is nonexistent and a second follow up shot is almost instantly possible. Little to no overpenetration so you're ok there, and like the 5.56 it tumbles causing optimum hydrostatic shock resulting in a good bit of internal damage.

However if you're looking for self/ home defense why not a 12ga? A nice military grade pump will stop a robbery just by working the pump. You probably won't even need to fire, and if you do... just leave some pitbull rounds lying around and you will very quickly have two pieces of criminal as opposed to one with some holes in him. Even if you're looking for a range gun shotguns can be very fun to shoot, painful sometimes but fun. Also they're great for all kinds of hunting from small game squirrels and coons to large game bears and elk.

Never Forget.
Definitely some good info brother, there's some things that I didn't even know, solid detailed info.

+1 on the shotty for home defense too

Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #16

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ive shot all three. My personal fav is the 7.62x39. There has been a lot of good info so far. My input is choose a plate form and train hard with it. Learn its and your limitations. Force on force training helps a whole lot.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #17

I have a somewhat odd topic question for this thread but my friend is looking to build a ar15. I have a m&p 15 that shoots 556. He doest have a lot of money for the build but the only thing he wants is a hard kick (I dont know why) what would be the round that makes the most sense to use when just going to the range and wanting the kick of a 308? Would te 7.62x39be better?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #18

Off topic*

Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #19

Liked 217 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
I think there will be a cold day in hell before there is a invasion on us soil. If there ever was I would be happy with my sks. And don't forget the us army is gona be it's own breed of pain in the ass if either of thoes "problems" happen.
The "problem" won't come from the outside.

All one will need is something that throws a bullet.

There will be enough badguys raping and pillaging (street punks) that will have taken decent arms in their forays, that you will be able to do society a favor, and "shop with a bullet" (should you feel the need to upgrade gear).

The issue will be how to deal with the more organized and supported forces trying to suppress the good people after the riots with the common thug have been delt with.

Those forces will probably be running 5.56. Nonconfrontational grabs it might be easier.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #20

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
I have shot a 7.62x39. Can you give your opinions on how drastic the differences in recoil are between the three. And is the main differences between a 7.62x39 and the .308 that the .308 is a longer range round?

Early in this thread JonM gave a great answer on the differences in recoil between 5.56 vs. 7.62x39 vs. 308. And he added 30-30.

I was surprised myself when comparing 7.62x39 vs. 30-30, the Russian round is much softer shooting. You often see them compared and rightfully so but my 30-30 kicks a lot harder than my AK.

Later the OP brought in home defense and while long guns that don't overpenetrate are good, I think a handgun with adequate caliber and capacity with good JHPs is the way to go. You're going to be fumbling for other objects so being able to operate your personal defense firearm with one hand could be crucial. A long gun is easier to be wrestled away in tight quarters too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.