.308 Showdown - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > .308 Showdown

View Poll Results: Your choice between these guns?
Cetme 0 0%
FN FAL 6 26.09%
M1A 9 39.13%
PTR-91 2 8.70%
Saiga .308 1 4.35%
Other 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I went with other. My vote would have to go to the AR-10, namely the DPSM LR-308.
+1 too

I am on the market for a .308 and initially decided on an a FAL but "not knowing" what I am really getting being re-built, decided on a DPMS...specifically the AP4 for $1,119.99 DPMS-PANTHER ARMS PANTHER AP4 CRBN 308 16"

Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

m1a is awesome. but when talking .308 take cheap out of vocab. buy what you are really going to prize and dont settle for something else just cause it is alittle cheaper. ammo cost some dough anyway. im sure the AR10 is a lot lighter than the springfield M1A if that matters. both are badass weapons

Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #13

Liked 336 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I can buy .308 Win. or 7.62 NATO an the local sporting good store for just a tad over $12.00 a box of 20. The cheap ****. I dont see whats so expensive about that. Howeve,r if you want premium 175 gr. Federal or Black Hills target ammo, you will pay about $38.00 a box of 20. Still cheap IMO compaired with other 30 caliber ammo. As a contrast, I can buy the cheap .223 or 5.56 NATO at the local sporting good store for just over $8.00 a box of 20. On the interwebz you can probably get better deals on both calibers,with the exception of the target grade factory ammo.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #14

Default .308 Winchester

I recently bought a Remington 750 Woodsmaster Carbine in .308 Winchester. I'll address why I chose this particular rifle later, but health reasons are the main reason. I read numerous postings about how crappy the rifle is, it's supposed to be a jammer, inaccurate, and so on. Following Remington's cleaning instructions in the owner's manual, I thoroughly cleaned the rifle after picking it up from my local gun shop. (Ran a bore snake through it at the range before zeroing it). I mounted a Leupold 3-9x40mm Rifleman scope on it, bore sighted it, and took it to the range today. I put 40 rounds of Remington 180 grain PSPCL ammo through the rifle. After an initial zero at 50 yards, I brought the target to the 100 yard target board, and checked the point of impact at that range. My rifle was zeroed for just under 3/4 inches at 50 yards, and just a hair over 2 inches high and centered over the "X" ring at 100 yards. The four rounds I fired at 100 yards were all touching. This is out of the box with Remington factory ammo. Wax on, wax off--this rifle is the most accurate "out of the box" hunting rifle I've ever owned. It is now my deer and wild pig rifle. As far as a semi-auto hunting rifle, here in California appearances are everything (check out the firearms link to the Calif DOJ website and you'll understand). Due to bone metastases on my right shoulder from advanced prostate cancer I opted for a semi-auto to reduce the recoil energy into that area to preclude a catastrophic fracture. The carbine is light weight as set up, and--as I discovered today, very accurate.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #15

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkI View Post
Well, this is a showdown for my wallet. I've been wanting an autoloader chambered in .308 Win but can't seem to make up my mind. I've seen Cetme's for $500-600, then on the upper really sweet M1A's for $1500-2000. Ptr-91's, FAL's, and Saigas have fallen in between. Now I've seen on the Springfield web site that the MSRP for the M1A I like (Standard model with blonde GI wood stock) is $1099, but all I've found were the same rifles for no less than $1200 elsewhere. I like the look of the Cetme and FAL out of any HK clone, but the Cetme is usually assmebled by Century Arms (-1 to them). Criteria for my ideal .308 are these:

1. Quality
2. Reliability
3. Accuracy
4. Sensitivity with mil surp ammo
5. Ergonomics
6. Bang for buck

I'd like to not spend too much over Springfield's MSRP... And am I able to buy directly from SA.com?
Which rifle did you decide to go with?

(BTW. Voted for the M1A based on your criteria. Ergo;s are an individual thing IMO.)

Grunt

Old 09-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #16

I have a Special Weapons cast SS receiver built CETME. I traded for it many years ago. It has always been reliable and accurate. It has very little recoil and I have trained with it enough so that the ergonomics have become second nature for me. I actually prefer the left hand charging handle now. The only draw back in my mind is that there is no last round hold open feature. I have installed a paddle mag release so thatmy primary hand never need leave the grip. I have been very satisfied with my CETME and the mags are very inexpensive. If only the ammo were as cheap as it once was. It's heavy, but so is my FAL. I do prefer the feel of the FAL when it comes to point-ability, but the CETME has always gone bang and it is a bit more accurate than my FAL. I have no experience with the Saiga, M1A, or AR in 308, so I can only offer a limited opinion here. I only have $325 in the CETME, and I only have $400 in the FAL, but I aquired them both many years ago.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I went with other. My vote would have to go to the AR-10, namely the DPSM LR-308. Ive got the LR-308b (18" bull barrel), and love it. It's reliable after the first couple hundred round break-in period and dead accurate. There is another member here, who with handloads has gotten groups as small as .4 inches at 100 yards. And don't pay attention to the prices on the site, they can be had for under 1k.

They're definitely worth taking a look into.

-Fred
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
+1 and +1 again
Another vote for the DPMS LR308 ... $1150 then I added a 2stage trigger, Magpul PRS and ergo grip.

Oops ... forgot, I added the bipod and scope too.

Last edited by skydriver; 10-01-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #18

+1 for the M1A, you'll never be sorry you bought it and you'll probably never get rid of it.

and I can't knock the Century CETME on the low end either. I've got one as well, it's a great rifle and shoots everything I feed it.