308 semi auto - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > 308 semi auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Use ammo loaded with Barnes Triple Shocks.
I have heard good things about this bullet, but have not used it on a hog as of yet. I'll have to see if my rifle likes it first, then give it a go on a hog when I get back from deployment.

In my state, we can dump hogs with just about any type of bullet out there. I have used several different loads/bullets, and have had no issues with busting hogs when it comes to 308 and 18 is bbls.

Before I left, I dumped one out at 376yds with one shot. The load I used was FED OTM M852 168gr. No exit wound, but he toppled over just the same.
He was right around 175 lbs.

I have also used a few different loads of FMJ. They almost always produce an exit wound on the hogs around here at least. Dumped a 80lbs sow at 95yds or so with WIN Q3130 147gr M80 Ball.

OP:
No hands on with an FN Heavy personally. Will be lookin fwd to your evaluation of the rifle once you get it up and running. Pic would be great to if you can swing it.
Do these rifles utilize FAL mags by any chance?

Grunt

Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #22

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I have heard good things about this bullet, but have not used it on a hog as of yet. I'll have to see if my rifle likes it first, then give it a go on a hog when I get back from deployment.

In my state, we can dump hogs with just about any type of bullet out there. I have used several different loads/bullets, and have had no issues with busting hogs when it comes to 308 and 18 is bbls.

Before I left, I dumped one out at 376yds with one shot. The load I used was FED OTM M852 168gr. No exit wound, but he toppled over just the same.
He was right around 175 lbs.

I have also used a few different loads of FMJ. They almost always produce an exit wound on the hogs around here at least. Dumped a 80lbs sow at 95yds or so with WIN Q3130 147gr M80 Ball.

OP:
No hands on with an FN Heavy personally. Will be lookin fwd to your evaluation of the rifle once you get it up and running. Pic would be great to if you can swing it.
Do these rifles utilize FAL mags by any chance?
Triple Shocks kill like The Hand of God. You really gotta try some. They always seem to perform like you would expect from a larger caliber with a heavier bullet, IMO.

The post I was replying to mentioned something about "not enough penetration", and the TSX delivers that in spades. I've never seen anything like them, especially on big, tough animals like large boars.

Be safe, and get home quickly.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #23

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Triple Shocks kill like The Hand of God. You really gotta try some. They always seem to perform like you would expect from a larger caliber with a heavier bullet, IMO.

The post I was replying to mentioned something about "not enough penetration", and the TSX delivers that in spades. I've never seen anything like them, especially on big, tough animals like large boars.

Be safe, and get home quickly.
Thanks for your input regarding this bullet.
2 questions for you.

1. Are you using 150gr, 168 gr, or ?? grain TSX for hog hunting?

2. are you shooting them through one of your M14/M1A rifles, or something else?

Off the subject, but I hope they do not send me home too quickly, as my budget calls for a full deployment worth of funds to pay for my next M14SA build......lol

Grunt

Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #24

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Thanks for your input regarding this bullet.
2 questions for you.

1. Are you using 150gr, 168 gr, or ?? grain TSX for hog hunting?

2. are you shooting them through one of your M14/M1A rifles, or something else?

Off the subject, but I hope they do not send me home too quickly, as my budget calls for a full deployment worth of funds to pay for my next M14SA build......lol
I have used the 150's through a couple of my M14's. I use the 180's in my 30-06, but should use the 150's. My shooting partner uses 150's in '06 and they have worked much better when compared sided by side to our friend's .300WM using 180gr Ballistic Tips. Side by side, as in exact same shot placement on almost identical hogs, shot at the same time from the same location.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #25

I have a AR-10A4 that i am very happy with and proud of. It is not for the faint of hart though. I have put a fair amount of time and money into it. Not to mention ammo and magazines. Its also a bit on the heavy side since it fires a 7.62x51 (.308) FMJ Round, but come hell or high water if I find myself needing to put down some one or something by the Gods it will do so.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

Regarding DSA, they make some fine FN Rifles in the 308. I have an original FNLAR National Match in 308. I have fired both the Hornady Federal 150 and the Remington Accu-Tip and both have knocked down pigs and deer. Have never had one run off. Lung and Heart shots of the deer and behind the ear on the boars. I would recommend either for starters. As I stated I also own a Rock River LAR-8 in 16" barrel that I also like. But for some reason the FNLAR I have I do like the weight balance and feel of it best. As far as carrying it and walking in the field.
Good Luck on your decision. There are a lot of good rifles out there in the 308.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #27

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I picked up a DPMS LR 10 today. Two magazines, hard case, cleaning kit and manual.
The search is over.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #28

I shoot the barnes mrx 180's out of my dpms lr 308's. I've dropped a few mule deer with them, unfortunately I haven't gotten a shot off at an elk yet with my dpms rifle. I'm selling one of my lr308's. It's a dpms with a 20" krieger barrel. pm me if interested.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

Fireguy,

Do not think that the AR Series is real light! May want to look and feel one before you buy!
I have a RRA 308 16" Barrel but would not consider it light!
Maybe you want to look at a 16" Barreled AR in 223/5.56 Cal for weight and speed.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #30

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I already have a short barreled ar15. Fun to shoot, but I wanted more punch, so I was looking for .308.
Mounted Yankee Hill fold-down BUIS on it over the weekend and shot it yesterday after work. 29 degrees out and getting dark, but a lot of fun. Got it within minute of bad guy in just a few shots. I'll fine tune it when the weather warms up.