Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > .308 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default .308 Build

OK, I'm now ready for a .308 (again). I've got a well rounded AR-15 family and now I need something with long range punch. The range will soon be adding a 600 yard berm and while I think I could stretch one of my ARs out to that distance (once its done) I want to have the capability of delivering power at that distance.

SO. It's obviously gonna be an AR-10 or a M-14 (M1A Springfield). Here's where I am getting stuck.

I'm leaning towards the M14 for 2 reasons. 1.) I'm becoming bored with the AR as I've done several. This would give me a chance to learn another gun. 2.) I hear the M14 is a better distance shooter and very reliable.

However, I like the AR platform, and feel confident enough that I will be able to repair one in the case of a failure or breakage.

I would appreciate feedback from folks that are experienced with these rifles or can offer an alternative.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #2

Here is my 14 built with Troy SASS.

ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Well.....I MAY be biased, but I'd go with an M14.

Seriously though, either will make you smile.

But the M14 is more reliable.

But there is a lot to be said for consistency, too.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well.

The .308 is capable of hitting a target at 600. And it is capable of delivering some punch at 600.

But that is about the "extreme effective" range of that particular round and to get to 600, you are going to need some SERIOUS elevation on your scope. It's a moonshot to be sure.

With the M14 you will get a weapon that will run no matter what. The gas from the previous round in harnessed just off the barrel and drives a dog legged op rod to cycle the weapon. A much sturdier version than the AK because of the design.

Even with a well built model, you are going to be challenged to be in the Minute of Angle group at 400-600 yards. At 100? Sure, no problem. But stretch that out and you are going to run into problems based on that same design.

For this kind of range? I would suggest a different round and a boltgun brother.

JD

Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Diggs, if you hop over the the west side of the mountains, I'll be happy to take you to the range with my LR308. I think it shows good accuracy potential if I can learn to hold up my end of the bargain. It was a pretty easy build with only very minor differences from a 5.56 AR. I have no experience with an M14/M1A so I can't say if I recommend it over one of those or not.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The .308 is capable of hitting a target at 600. And it is capable of delivering some punch at 600.

For this kind of range? I would suggest a different round and a boltgun brother.

JD
I guess I should have mentioned that the .308 was chosen because of its NATO distinction and availability. So while the bolt gun is on the way, the next build is gonna be a big bore semi.

I think that the reliability factor alone is gonna be enough to tip the hat towards the M14.

Russ, I'd love to get over to the other side of the range and take you up on that offer. I actually make it over there for most of my outdoor activities during the warmer months. Being from the 4-Corners area I am biased towards that side of the Colo. Rockies too.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, there is no expiration date on the offer. So hit me up anytime.

And Don, that 14 is a thing of beauty. Very nice build.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #8

Russ, Thanks. I also have a LAR308 that shoots great!

ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #9

I would/am going with the M14. LRB makes a receiver that has a great sturdy scope mount, its their m25 receiver, kind of pricey but from my understanding they are the best in business in the m14 receivers. I have shot both and I would say it is more of a personal preference between the m14 and the ar10. The m14 is gas piston, and the ar10 is gas impingment.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I've made my mind up on the M14, it's definitely for me, but I gotta sell some toys first!