.308 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Savage Arms > Firearms > Gun Finder
savage model 11 (no iron sights. if you want an iron sight check out the model 10)

you can get one of their mid grade/somewhat high grade scopes and that rifle for around 1500 and have stuff left over for another stock or boatloads of ammo or whatever you want

You would need some scope rings but they arent much and the scope will probably come with some.

Last edited by Cory2; 03-28-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Savage Arms > Firearms > Gun Finder
savage model 11 (no iron sights. if you want an iron sight check out the model 10)

you can get one of their mid grade/somewhat high grade scopes and that rifle for around 1500 and have stuff left over for another stock or boatloads of ammo or whatever you want

You would need some scope rings but they arent much and the scope will probably come with some.
OK I checked out that link (thanks) and this might be a dumb question but, I still don't understand what makes one model more money then the next??

And, yes I DO want a scope!! And I like the synthetic stocks, hopefully this narrows it down a little more!!! Thanks again guys/gals for the help and info!!!

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

When i said one of their scopes. i meant to put a link to leupold up there. As for the models and the different prices when it comes to savage im not real sure, other than some have accutriger and some have acustock and some have stainles steel barrels. other than that im not real sure what the difference is between a model 11 and a model 10 or what the suffixes mean. someone else on here probably knows though.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #14

Honestly, if you are not stuck on a new gun / scope, shop for a used one. Great used guns are all over the place now it seems.

Otherwise, buy a solid gun, recommended by people that own and shoot them, and not some gun mag write-up. Plan on as much money for the scope as the gun.

As far as models go, used Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700? New, the Savage rifles have proven to be a lot of literal bang for the buck. For optics, don't go cheap. Get a good name, perhaps Leopold, or Nikon for your budget, but other brands can be just as good. Again, find out what people are shooting and what is working.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #15

Quote:
m not real sure what the difference is between a model 11 and a model 10
Long Action vs Short Action....IIRC

Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bought a Savage Model 10 Cabela's: Savage Arms Tactical Rifle – Choate™ Stock

Then mounted a Nikon Monarch Scope 5-20x44 Side Focus Matte - Monarch - Riflescopes | Nikon Hunting

Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #17

Get a Stevens short action, call Sharpshooter supply and order a 26" Brux barrel and competition trigger. Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. That will bring you up to a touch over a grand. Use the rest for a good one piece STEEL base and the best scope you can afford. That is the best you will do for two thousand, but it will do fine.

Up to 400 yards you'll be fine with a .308.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Do you have pics of your setup?? If you do, I would like to see them! I think yesterday when I was looking through Savage's website I looked at that one similar to yours!!

And what I have read about it, its a sweet gun!! Nothing but good reviews!

What is the difference between Long Action and Short Action???......Pros and Cons????

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #19

check out the dpms-lr .308, it will hit anything you point it at, and you can get it for about 1500 completely customized, depending on what you want, check this out,

DPMS Panther Arms LR-308 24" - NEW! DPMS - Panther Arms > Complete Rifle for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Florida Gun Exchange. Buy or bid on this DPMS Panther Arms LR-308 24" - NEW! in the category DPMS - Panther Arms > Complete Rifle o

Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #20

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Coming in late, hope to add something to the mix.
Have you decided what action you want? Bolt? Semi-auto?
As has been said, there are a lot of good bolt guns out there and some of them are surprisingly inexpensive.

I would suggest for a bolt gun Savage, Mossberg, Remington 700, Howa 1500,and Weatherby Vanguard. I really looked at the Savage and Mossberg before getting my Howa. I found it used, barely shot, it had the Axiom stock that freefloats the barrel and has a sweet trigger. I am very happy with the Howa. Howa makes the actions for Weatherby, by the way.

The DPMS LR308 is a fun gun to shoot, hasn't given me any trouble and sighted in easily. I haven't tried to shoot at any distance yet, so I don't have any data on how it groups outside of the 50 yds I shot at to get the scope on target.

Enjoy whatever you get, look for used and save some cash for the scope.

Newest Threads