30-06 in SemiAuto recomendations??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > 30-06 in SemiAuto recomendations??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default 30-06 in SemiAuto recomendations??

What brand/model SemiAutos in 30-06 caliber ONLY would be recommended to hunt grizzly and brown bear? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6012 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

m1 garand with an upgraded gas system using a schuster type plug for heavier bullet use.

thats the only 30-06 semi auto i would trust in hunting bears.

my preference would be a 45-70 levergun or bolt gun over a semi auto 30-06. most of the current production semi-auto 30-06 arent things i would trust life and limb to

just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 847 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Hopefully the forum's resident bear lover will see your post and give a definative answer. In the mean time, I would be more inclined to a bolt gun in 300 mag. Wby. or WW. And a guide with a 12ga. slug gun.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #4

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Only 30-06 SemiAutos PLEASE! Not what you would recommend or rather carry! Thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Browning BAR or Benelli R1.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
Only 30-06 SemiAutos PLEASE! Not what you would recommend or rather carry! Thanks!
i gave you the only option i would recomend. if you want to be bear food from a jammed up semi auto i guess its your business

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

25-5 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I believe a BAR is slightly more reliable than a modified M-1 Garrand. I have shot the BAR for close to 40 years. They are more reliable than a lot of highly touted weapons. I have to admit all the BARs I have owned are type II that were actually made in Belgium. The newer plastic BAR isn't that bad. I have seen many of them unloaded. I don't recall any problems.

The Remington Woodmaster is a horse of a different color. I have yet to actually see one that would unload without jamming. I have heard people say they own one that functions well but I haven't seen it. At one time I belonged to a hunting club that had over 100 members and owned around 200 deer hounds.

Back when the M1 was easily purchased for $100 a lot of Korean War veterans told me you couldn't give an M1 to them. I took their advice and I never bought one. That is one purchase I have no regret in not making. I regret not buying more AKs much more than I regret not buying an M1.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I believe a BAR is slightly more reliable than a modified M-1 Garrand. I have shot the BAR for close to 40 years. They are more reliable than a lot of highly touted weapons. I have to admit all the BARs I have owned are type II that were actually made in Belgium. The newer plastic BAR isn't that bad. I have seen many of them unloaded. I don't recall any problems.

The Remington Woodmaster is a horse of a different color. I have yet to actually see one that would unload without jamming. I have heard people say they own one that functions well but I haven't seen it. At one time I belonged to a hunting club that had over 100 members and owned around 200 deer hounds.

Back when the M1 was easily purchased for $100 a lot of Korean War veterans told me you couldn't give an M1 to them. I took their advice and I never bought one. That is one purchase I have no regret in not making. I regret not buying more AKs much more than I regret not buying an M1.
i think your missing out on the M1 they are great reliable accurate rifles chambered in a very powerful round. there was a gentleman until he recently passed away converting M1's to fire the 458 winmag!!

i will agree with you on the BAR in that the older ones work well. the newer ones are far more common and not very good at all

i think the op is really limiting himself with the 30-06 since it doesnt lend itself well to semiauto rifles. you pretty much have to source a gun that was built 30-60 years ago since no one has a modern recent manufacture semi for that i would trust to the task at hand.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I have no opinion on the M1 other than I am not interested. The OP might find an M1 conversion that suits him. The old Brownings are not that hard to come by this area. Perry's Gun Shop in Wendell, NC has a bunch of them and they have an online inventory. Most in the shop are marked at $995. They have signs of use but none of them are beat up.

Personally I would want something a little larger than a 30/06 to deal with large bears. But we all have to make our own decisions.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I have a Remington 7400 carbine in .30-06 and it works. No problems, but I would have to shoot it more to trust it against a charging bear. If I was going afield LOOKING for bears I would probably look at the Browning first.

Accuracy systems does some very interesting things with the 7400 series of Remington rifles. You could probably get a good used one and have it upgraded for the cost of a BAR.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball