will a 1:66 rifling twist effect a shot load like in a rifled shotgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > will a 1:66 rifling twist effect a shot load like in a rifled shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default will a 1:66 rifling twist effect a shot load like in a rifled shotgun?

what I'm look at is this:
Wholesale Sports
I was originally looking for a musket, but I found this instead and was wondering if this particular twist rate would effect a shot load like rifling in a rifled shotgun barrel can pattern shot in a donut shape? the reason I'm interested in this rifle is because it's a flintlock and it's inexpensive compared to reproduction flintlock muskets that run in the thousands of dollars. would this 1:66 twist rate effect a shot load to a serious extent or do nothing to it's performance? also, would a 1:48 twist rate effect it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Nice traditional muzzle loader there.

ANY rifling is going to have an effect on a charge of shot. 1:66 is pretty slow, but will still have SOME effect. How much, I don't know. The rifle you are looking at is intended to fire a single patched round ball, not a charge of shot.

With a patched ball you should be seeing some darned good accuracy at 100 yards. With a charge of shot, it will be less effective than a .410 shotgun. Any particular reason you would WANT to use shot in that?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With a 66" twist and assuming a muzzle velocity of 1000 ft/sec, a projectile (or shot column) would be spinning 180 revs/sec when it exited the muzzle..... yes, the shot would be flung outward, perpendicular to the line of flight. Donut pattern.

A 48" twist would cause the shot column to spin even faster. WIDER donut pattern.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1217 Times on 830 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

Don`t you just hate it when the picture don`t match the description. the picture is a percussion it says it is a flint lock. But to your question, YESrifling will effect shot, if you want something you can shoot shot out of get a smooth bore & you want flint lock get a 69 cal. musket.

When all else fails.