Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   What is the history of this old Musket? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/what-history-old-musket-21548/)

Norman 12-27-2009 03:05 PM

What is the history of this old Musket?

5 Attachment(s)
I have a very old musket from my Grandfather, at least I think it's very old. Just wondering how to figure out the history of the gun and if it is worth anything. It has a crown stamp, and "S", and "41" under that, in a few places near the trigger. On the end of the gun it has the numbers "208", and some other things stamped on the end. If anyone can lead me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks
Norman

BillM 12-27-2009 04:06 PM

Disclaimer: I am by no ones standards knowledgable about old black powder
arms---so a lot of this is guesswork.

I don't think it's a musket. It's a shotgun. Lack of sights, halfstock.
The crown over S was used as a shotgun proof by Germany and
Denmark at various times, but it could also be Belgian or ???

The marks on the buttplate look martial--could be unit/division marks?

My GUESS. It's a "foragers gun". A smoothbore percussion shotgun used
by the camp cook to gather food for the troops.

ETA---If I squint a bit, I can make myself believe that the lock is marked "SUHL", a
well known German gun making town. Doesn't mean the GUN is German, just that
it has a German lock. Also from the shape of the nipple drum, it appears that originally
it was a flintlock.

WILDCATT 01-02-2010 07:58 PM

old gun

I would say it is grman military gun. seems that military regiment makings on butt.

Joe M 01-05-2010 11:36 AM

It would appear to have a military relationship as the trigger guard shows this was made for a sling. I would also agree that at one time it was a flintlock that has been converted to take the snail drum barrel. Parts were never wasted - only reworked for particular applications.

This piece very well may have started life out as a military musket with a full stock, and over time it has been converted to perhaps civilian use for any number of reasons. Of note, there would be no sights on a military musket.

Joe M 01-09-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe M (Post 208639)
It would appear to have a military relationship as the trigger guard shows this was made for a sling. I would also agree that at one time it was a flintlock that has been converted to take the snail drum barrel. Parts were never wasted - only reworked for particular applications.

This piece very well may have started life out as a military musket with a full stock, and over time it has been converted to perhaps civilian use for any number of reasons. Of note, there would be no sights on a military musket.

My last sentence above should have read;

"Of note, there would be no 'Rear' sight on a military musket."

Sorry about that.

W. C. Quantrill 01-12-2010 10:11 PM

It is a military musket that began as a flintlock and was converted to percussion, then later was "sporterized" sometime after the Great War of Northern Agression and sold to civilians at a buck each as farmers guns. I have one just like it in my safe.

It looks a lot like a M1816 Flint to Percussion Conversion. They were converted around 1842 and used up into the beginning of the Great War, then sporterized and sold to civilains.

c3shooter 01-13-2010 12:00 AM

The "farmer's gun" was frequently called a "hog gun" in many parts of the country.

jpattersonnh 01-21-2010 06:51 PM

Joe M may have part of it. It is a Belgian rifle, or was.
Collector's Firearms
Crown over S is a Swedish stamp, or sure looks like it. Looks to be a Stockholm rework.
If the work have been done by an Army Workshop
Crowned S Stockholms Tygstation, Stockholm (translated)

Info on buttplate is company and Unit.