What is the cure for "pulling the shot"? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > What is the cure for "pulling the shot"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

The CVA Wolf has an l in 28 twist that is not suitable for round balls and was designed to shoot sabots. I have a Wolf and find using CVA Slick Load sabots with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS I have been able to hold a 2 ½ inch five shot group at 100 yards off the bench with open sights without swabbing the barrel. You might want to try 295 grain PowerBelts with a 85 to 95 grain charge. In working up a load I would advise you to only use loose powder as most of the experts will tell you that there is quite a bit of inconsistency in pellets as even a small chip on one of them will affect the load. Talk to the people at CVA about your problem and they will steer you in the right direction.

P.S You should never use a patch when shooting sabots or conicals.

Last edited by Walley; 08-19-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
The CVA Wolf has an l in 28 twist that is not suitable for round balls and was designed to shoot sabots. I have a Wolf and find using CVA Slick Load sabots with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS I have been able to hold a 2 ½ inch five shot group at 100 yards off the bench with open sights without swabbing the barrel. You might want to try 295 grain PowerBelts with a 85 to 95 grain charge. In working up a load I would advise you to only use loose powder as most of the experts will tell you that there is quite a bit of inconsistency in pellets as even a small chip on one of them will affect the load. Talk to the people at CVA about your problem and they will steer you in the right direction.

P.S You should never use a patch when shooting sabots or conicals.
Thanks Wally,

When I can get out again, I will try using those Power Belt sabots with your load recommendation. My powder measure (brass expandable) only works in 10 grain increments. How do you measure your 5 grain loads? Do you weigh them out or is there a different measuring device?

I've got some Triple 7 powder that I like better than Pyrodex, though I have both back powder and pyrodex. Have you used the triple 7?

I've been using balls in my shooting so far since it's cheaper and more original. I'm just funny that way, but I do like to have all my rifles and pistols sighted in so that when I grab it (or them) up they will hit where I aim.

Thanks for the advice Wally, (taking me a while to type this since I'm on pain drugs for a few days.

Dave

Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

Dave:

Scribe a line half way between the 10-grain marks on your brass powder measure for 5-grain settings. I don’t like Triple 7 as it seems to be dirtier than RS and fouls up the breach plug faster.

If you enjoy shooting round balls you might want to pick up a side lock with a 1 in 48 twist. You will be able to us round balls, sabots and conicals all in the same gun. You would have to work up a load for each. The Traditions Deerhunter is a nice gun set up for hunting and is not that pricey. The Possible Shop has them for $269.00 plus shipping. I got one from them for my grandson and he ended up selling his in-line and filled his tag the first day out with it.

A word of warning shooting muzzle loaders is addictive but sure is a hell of a lot of fun.

Walley:

Old 08-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Walley,

I have discovered that addiction already. I missed buying a Grey Wolf rifle in Gunbroker or another sale. It was a caplock. I'll try making that half-way scribe for better loads.

I have some loose Pyrodex that I will try to compare the two realistically. I really need a spotting scope as it's a long walk or hobble from my shooting spot to the target (good exercise I guess). Gotta love the smell of burnt powder!

Dave

Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

Dave:

Shop around and see if you can find a CVA Bobcat for under a hundred bucks. If you find one fill the stock with spray in foaming insulation and add enough weight to bring the balance back to about two or three inches in front of the trigger guard. The Bobcat was my first smoke pole; I still have it and use it for plinking, target practice and as a loaner. It is ugly as they come but really accurate with whatever I shove down its throat. I did change the sights on mine but it was fine with the original sights. Just had to file down the front blade. I also installed a hotshot nipple. It did put a lot of meat in the freezer until I upgraded to a Hawkins. I now have 14 side locks. Last season a friend of mine took a 10 pointer at 90 yards with it using a 385-grain Great Plains conical and 95 grains of RS.

Walley:

P.S. The CVA four in one loader is marked in five grain increments

Last edited by Walley; 08-19-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'll look around. I bought a used front loader a few weeks ago from a neighbor called a Buck Country Arms. It looked un-fired. I took it apart and found it to be well machined, so I loaded and fired it. I couldn't find anything about it but finally tracked it to Traditions. The serial numbers don't make it a Traditions, but every part does, so I'm going to convert it to a 209 as soon as the conversion kits com back it stock. I don't mind the #11 but it has an open bolt system and weather can get in pretty easy, plus the #11s fall off lots easier than 209 caps do. It cost me $50.

I was wondering if you've ever used Blackthorne powder. It's kind of expensive and I don't need any more powder yet, but it looks interesting.

I'll check out that CVA 4 in one powder measure, thanks.

Dave

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #17

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

no patches with sabbots