Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > What is the cure for "pulling the shot"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What is the cure for "pulling the shot"?

I shoot a CVA Wolf. Love that little gun. I've been shooting 80 grains of Seven powder. I've also used Pyrodex and GOEX. Same results. The first two shots will be within a half inch of one another and to the right of the dot or aiming point. The next two will be about in line, but to the right 3 to 5 inches. The Wolf has a soft recoil pad and 80 grains doesn't kick that much anyway, so why am I pulling the last two shots? I tried it last week and the first two went as planned and the last one went to the left about 3" as I had concentrated on trying to hit the dot. Today, shots three and four were to the right. The first two would surely kill whatever I shot at, but I would like a little consistency. I'm shooting .50 cal round ball about 50 yds. Thanks.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #2

Is it dirtiness? I doubt it, but could be. Do you clean after five shots or what?
I also doubt you're pulling, but it could be. My Ruger BP bolt action cant hit a stump from 20 yards, causing a missed elk about 3 yrs ago.
They arent very accurate, but the best possible solution in my eyes is to shoot the first 2 shots, which from my understanding, are spot on. Then clean your rifle. What happens?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll give it a try. In this last case, I shot two, and ran a patch damp with Thompsons "13" cleaner, then a dry patch. The next two were to the right. Maybe it was the cleaning. I still think I pulled the shot (don't know why). If it had been one of my modern rifles, I would have shot more to work it out, but it's hot here in Texas and loading takes some time... One excuse is as good as another, I guess. I'll let you know what happens next time. Thanks.

Dave

Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #4

Where in Texas are you?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

I have a CVA Eclipse .50 in which i had a similar issue. first 3 or 4 were grouped, afterward they were strayed. i tried lots of things different and ultimately went from ball to sabots and cured my problems...might be worth a try.

In God We Trust...all others must pay cash.

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #6

Justen may have a point, sabots are more accurate......

Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It sounds to me like you may need to fine tune your load a little bit. In other words try 75 or 85 grains of powder instead of 80. The balls are almost stabilized enough. Working up a load for a muzzleloader is like working up a load for reloading a centerfire rifle. Also I'd try running a patch down the barrel between every shot to ensure you have consistent bore conditions.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm near Brownwood. I tried some heavy sabots last year. They shoot well, but I used 100 gr pellets to push them and they always shot about 6" high. They were pretty accurate though. I haven't tried using a measured load of powder to push them yet. I'll try 75 to 85 gr of powder as you suggest and see how things go. I have some jacketed sabots and some lead ones. While I'm on this subject, I have seen long distance shooters on ShootingUSA measure their load and then push a sabot in with no patch. Do they seal well enough without a patch? The Jacketed sabots that I have, have a separate plastic base while the lead ones are just shaped and ...lead. Thanks for all the help. Oh, one more thing. When you recommend a patch between shots, is that a damp one or a dry one? Thanks again.

Dave

Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #9

I usually use a lubed patch to swab after a few shots. Some use spit, or water. I like to keep the bore greasy, but that's using patched ball.

May be your problem is related to barrel heating. Wait several minutes before taking those subsequent shots, and see what happens. Some modern rifles are similarly plagued. The best group my son ever shot from his light Ruger rifle was when we couldn't see the bullet holes and walked the 200 yards to the target and back between shots. Could be coincidence, or it could be the barrel had time to cool enough to shoot to the same POI.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used a shooting table this time and tried different powder loads, lighter and heavier. It turned out that with the shooting table and sand bags for stabilization, I shoot pretty straight. I guess I was pulling the shot. I do appreciate all the help though. I learned a lot. Now, since I tore a ligament in my leg yesterday, I'll be off from shooting for a little while. Dang it!

Dave